My knees are killing me!

Options
Oh my knees are just killing me lately and I've never dealt with knee issues before. I went to a photography workshop this last weekend and I think the problem started with carrying around a 40 lb bag of equipment on my back through three airports and on two planes. And then I slept on the plant with my knees bent up. I continued to carry the bag the whole weekend and then ran around the airport in Atlanta for nearly 4 hours trying to get on another flight home. Could weight like that cause my knees to bug me? I'm afraid to exercise at this point....

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My knees are hurting as well...but I've been running non stop for the past month. Others have told me to R.I.C.E....Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/prepareemergencies/prep4922.html

Hope you feel better:flowerforyou:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I know when you RUN having sore knees can be caused from having weak butt muscles. When your butt muscles aren't pulling and flexing correctly because they are weak, your knees have to over compensate for it and it will cause sharp pains in your knees.

I get pain full knees sometimes and I am very aware that it is from weak butt muscles.

I am not a doctor and maybe you should see one before you get too worried, but that is what comes to mind when people tell me their knees are hurting.
  • soknurdy
    soknurdy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Knee brace helped my friend out.. But make sure you get it checked out, if it's hurting it might be some kind of injury.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree you should RICE your knee and take some NSAID for inflammation
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My former coach's rule of thumb: If it's just sore and goes away, then take it easy for a day or so (R.I.C.E.). If it affects the way you walk and hurts for more than a couple of days, it's an injury and should be checked out.

Good luck!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I too agree with the RICE I do that for my back right now.... you may consider you shoes too, they may not be knee friendly ... and going to a physical therapist just in-case..... and Yes extra unbalanced weight can aggravate you knees. HOpe you feel better soon!