What to eat?

Options
My calorie goal is 1770 a day, but I am struggling to meet that in addition to that I am constantly going over my sodium for the day. What can I eat that is going to be low sodium but a good amount of calories?

Replies

• bitterbrownie
    Options
    fruit is often fairly high in calories due to sugar but i always see it as a healthy snack - it's also low in sodium :)

you could also try cereals and other carbohydrates such as pasta and bread - use fresh rather than pre packaged to avoid sodium and check cereal packets first.

i would also check your sodium allowance against other sources on the internet to check that it's not too low :)

hope this helps
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My #1 for this is reading labels while shopping. I'm in maintenance and eat +2000 cals a day. I generally manage to keep sodium under 2000mg a day.

Deli-type meats are high in sodium - I don't eat things like ham, for example.
    Watch the salt in any cheese you eat.
    Use no-salt added versions of canned food like beans or lentils or tomatoes
    Nuts
    Veggies
    I tend to limit the amount of bread and wraps, preferring to substitute with things like chickpeas, millet, quinoa, rice etc.

Good luck! I've become very sensitive to sodium. I feel it particularly after eating at a restaurant and the chef has been heavy handed with the salt!!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1770 a day, but I am struggling to meet that in addition to that I am constantly going over my sodium for the day. What can I eat that is going to be low sodium but a good amount of calories?

Processed foods = loads of sodium. Give those up or cut down on your intake and you will have no issues with high sodium. I looked through your diary for a coupe of days. For example, every day you are eating a Morningstar Farms burger...right there, that is 30% of your daily sodium intake. The more you cook from scratch, the less sodium you'll eat.