Workouts ruined by children

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
Does anyone else have this problem? I have a 3 and 6 year old. (How does the 3 year old keep winning?) I put together a home gym because it's too much of a production to go to the gym just to wait for a machine. I put it next to the children's play area so I could be productive while keeping an eye on them. And it's cheaper, nicer and cleaner.

Unfortunately, my children keep running into the room yelling that the other one won't share, hit me, or broke something... which takes me out of my zone on the HRM. I end up taking a 10 minute break and frustrated that I didn't keep the HR up. I don't want to set them up in front of the TV but that seems to be the only way to get some peace.

Any ideas?

Replies

• jennor8or
    jennor8or Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i have a 2 1/2 year old... he has his own 3 lb weight and he "exercises like mommy" while i do my 30 day shred... i tell him to watch the screen and make sure mommy looks just like the ladies... he loves the punching part and jumps up and down while i do the "jump rope part"... he walks in and out of the room bc he gets bored with it but because he doesn't feel like i'm saying "NO you can't be in here" hes almost LESS interested in what i'm doing. i dont know how well that will work with older ones and multiples, but good luck!
  • sonalily
    sonalily Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    try during naptime
    or early morning before they wake up or after they go to bed
  • turtleohs
    turtleohs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We have this problem too... So I understand you. My 2.5 year old sees weights in hand and he immediately wants you to pick him up. One of us just has to distract him while the other works out. I personally don't see anything wrong with letting them watch tv for 30-45 minutes while you get a workout in.

Is there any way you can work out while the kids are napping or having quiet time?
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    I'd work out with them. Make it fun and educational.
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just experienced this for the first time last night. My 21 month old refused to go to bed at her usual time and i didnt want to skip my workout so i plopped her on the couch and made my attempt. She was attempting to move like the woman on tv - it was quite comical but she kept getting in my way. My 8 year old son just sits back and laughs at me! I try and wait until she is in bed before working out - may not be the ideal solution but sometimes its my only option. I would recommend getting up before them or waiting till after bed time.
    Good luck!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, since school ended my workouts have been terrible. maybe put on a movie and tell them if they stay away until you go to them they will get to do something or have a treat. I give my son his DS to play and he will yell out look at this should i do this and just that is annoying enough. Next time i am going to tell him to play it in his room.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't think an hour of TV will kill them :) I do it. It's that or risking injuring my 3 year old.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    As soon as either of them run in with the complaint, send them both to timeout. It'll take a few days to get the routine, but soon they should both get that "go to timeout NOW" means do it now (or there will be unpleasant consequences). I set up timeout spots that aren't in the kids rooms, and each has their own set spot, so they know exactly where to go.

It shouldn't take long for them to figure out that bugging you during a workout isn't a good idea. But also keep your workout to about 30 minutes. At this age, it's about as long as you can expect them to govern themselves. You can go back later for another session, if you need.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You need to put yourself first in this particular situation. In the end, you'll be a better Mom if you are allowed your workout time uninterrupted (and healthier too)

You need to find someone to watch them during this time.

Or sell the equipment and use the $$ to join a gym with a childcare program.
  • CaelaXO
    CaelaXO Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My six year old son wanted to work out with me when I was doing a kickboxing dvd at home. He quickly grew bored and started to leave the lving room. I wasnt paying attention to where he was, changed directions with my kicks and nailed him square in the forehead! He was fine! Needless to say, I no longer have to worry about him being underfoot during workout time!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    My 3 y.o. is exactly the same way. I must get up before he does in order to workout. Even so, sometimes he'll wake up early, come in crying and say, "Mommy, I want to cuddle" or "Mommy, hold me." I'm torn because I want to finish the workout, but it's such a heartrending plea. Usually, I get a little angry because Daddy is laying in bed and could intervene.
  • erzsebet_1560
    Options
    My kids are trained to stay in their rooms and play while Mommy exercises....we are the parents:-)
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Workout before they get up in the morning.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Can you make that a special quiet time? You may only watch movies and have this snack in the living room while I'm working out and if you can't do that without disturbing me you can't watch movies or have the special snack.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    yeah, swap some of your work outs for fun swim sessions, walks or play park time with the kids. Keeps the whole family healthy (:
  • farmingfool
    Options
    My 3 year old daughter tries to get on the treadmill or put her toys on the treadmill with me. I can't workout before she gets up because she gets up too early. I'm with her 24/7 and it's not always possible to workout when she naps. So far I've gotten most of my workouts in but it is really frustrating when I'm interrupted especially when I'm close to completing my goal.
  • bonniebrien
    bonniebrien Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check around for a gym with childcare. Workout when they are asleep (am, nap, pm). I have three kids: 4, 2, and 3 months, and it is so hard, but I decided to stop letting them be my excuse. I drive 15 minutes to the gym, after packing the bag, get the kids set in the care center, work out for 30-60 minutes, get the kids together, drive home, it all takes like an hour and a half and I only get a 30 minute work out but at least I got the workout.
    And honestly, you can hardly expect a toddler to leave you alone if you're working out at home, it is natural that he/she be curious about what you are doing. The nature of the beast, it's frustrating.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My mom still talks about how my brother and I ruined her workouts! :laugh: Just take comfort in the fact the some day you all will be adults and can sit around laughing about those moments. At least that's what we do!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When my6 year old son gets home from camp, he is exhausted so I put on a show for him while I use the treadmill in the next room. Half the time he comes in to dance to the music I am blasting, and we both have fun :)
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As soon as either of them run in with the complaint, send them both to timeout. It'll take a few days to get the routine, but soon they should both get that "go to timeout NOW" means do it now (or there will be unpleasant consequences). I set up timeout spots that aren't in the kids rooms, and each has their own set spot, so they know exactly where to go.

It shouldn't take long for them to figure out that bugging you during a workout isn't a good idea. But also keep your workout to about 30 minutes. At this age, it's about as long as you can expect them to govern themselves. You can go back later for another session, if you need.

That's a bit shan, punishing them just for bothering you during a work out :S