Garmin 405cx Arrives Tomorrow!

My first fitness watch, a Garmin 405cx, arrives tomorrow! I'm super excited, especially since I'm an OCD nutcase. It's probably going to be the death of me to have a HRM, but excited nonetheless.

Any tips or anything I need to know?

Oh and does anyone know if you can use the HRM durning other activities (i.e. Yoga, Strength Training).

TIA!

Replies

• papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    chest strap? I wear mine most of the time, too much some might say, lol
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I have this same watch. It's fantastic! :)
    I couldn't run without it now.
  • Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    I love love love mine! It will do just heart rate with out any of the gps functions, so you can use it just as a timer and hrm if you want. You are going to love it. It's not super intuitive as far as functioning, but it's great once you figure it out!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Woo, congrats! It's a really cool device. Love mine! I use it for running, cycling, and strength training. As far as I know, the reported calories burned is off for weight training - it's well accepted that HRMs aren't very accurate for non-aerobic activity. Nevertheless, I write down the calorie burn as reported, and just live with the error. It all works out in the end; I'm guessing probably because MFP's idea of my daily maintenance calories is a bit lower than reality.

One tip - I find it much more comfortable after swapping the plastic wrist strap with the velcro one.
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Woo, congrats! It's a really cool device. Love mine! I use it for running, cycling, and strength training. As far as I know, the reported calories burned is off for weight training - it's well accepted that HRMs aren't very accurate for non-aerobic activity. Nevertheless, I write down the calorie burn as reported, and just live with the error. It all works out in the end; I'm guessing probably because MFP's idea of my daily maintenance calories is a bit lower than reality.

One tip - I find it much more comfortable after swapping the plastic wrist strap with the velcro one.

I never could figure swapping the bands. Any helpful suggestions if ou remember?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Love mine, but I only use it for outdoor running. I have a higher-end model Polar that I use for everything else.

One thing to note is that is uses the GPS and your heart rate to calculate calories burned. So for any activity that uses the GPS, the calorie burn will be accurate. Otherwise, it's not accurate in the slightest...there is a footpod option (which I think runs around $100) for use with indoor workouts. I don't need it or have it, but I love the 405CX for my training runs!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    I use mine during strength training, walking, running, etc.... basically everything that I consider a workout lol. I have the Polar FT40 though. As long as yours has a chest strap it should be accurate! Enjoy!