Coffee Creamer Tips?

For the longest time I used 8 TBSP (1/2c) of SF coffee creamer. I have been able to wean myself down to 4 TBSP (1/4c). It's a large cup, 16oz I believe. Regardless, I like creamy sweet coffee to start my day. It's one of my vices and one of the things I'm just not willing to sacrafice. However, I'm now on a mission to eliminate artificial sugar from my diet. The first step was eliminating Crystal Light and I cannot tell you what a TREMENDOUS difference it made on my appetite. Simply amazing. I think the last place it exists is in my coffee creamer. So I'm looking for ideas on how to achieve a sweet and creamy 60-100 cals of creamer WITHOUT it being highly processed or using artifical sugar. I'm at the point I may just switch over to the real thing, but I'm not sure I can afford the calories. I may have to decrease the size of my coffee cup, which may be doable.

Anywho, looking for ideas. Oh, I've tried coconut milk creamer, but wasn't really creamy enough for me and not sure I'm willing to spend that much money. I'm almost thinking about 1/2 and 1/2 w/ agave nectar, but that sounds kinda gross.

Replies

• Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Ive recently started flavoring my coffee with a little half and half, cinnamon and nutmeg. I like it better than all the creamer and it saves me a ton on calories
  • sarahttini
    sarahttini Posts: 186
    I sweeten mine with stevia flavored chocolate, vanilla, and toffee drops and use 2 TBS of real cream.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    I'm trying to find a good alternative, too, since my creamer of choice (International Delight - Irish Cream) is full of all sorts of crap that isn't good for me.

I recently switched to 1 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream and 1 Tsp of organic sugar. The heavy cream is amazing because it provides that creamy lightness I crave in my coffee, but since it is not sweet at all by itself, I'm finding myself wanting more than just 1 tsp of sugar. My coffee cup holds about 10 ounces and the single Tbsp of heavy cream looks equivalent to the 2 Tbsp of creamer I used to use... so maybe if you can find a way to add the sweetness without really adding on the calories, it could be a good option for you. For me, the 1Tbsp+1tsp adds 65 calories to my coffee, but since your cup is bigger, you might find yourself needing more.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    I was going to say agave nectar but you came up with that already.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    How about fat free evaporated skim milk with agave.
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    I was wondering this as well.

What about Vanilla Almond Milk?

Just putting it out there....

I use Stevia and Hazelnut Coffee Mate liquid..:embarassed:

Yeah,I know....the Hazelnut creamer already has sugar in it.

I'm like you,I like my coffee sweetened.
  • Use a smaller cup definitely! I use half and half and a tsp. of Splenda granulated. 20 calories!
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a half a cup is only 20 calories :drinker:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    My mug holds about 10 ounces of coffee. I measure in only one tablespoon of liquid creamer, the real stuff, none of this sugar free or low calorie. Then I use two packets of splenda.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    i use creamer but just one tbs per 8oz and i add truvia. It taste more like sugar than other stevia brands. I do like regular stevia in my tea but like you im rather particular about my coffee. I've been thinking i may have to give up my creamer or coffee too. Because i keep breaking out and im trying to get down to the bottom of it. i guess its coffee or dairy and i dont want to give up either one . booo! :)
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I like the idea of the almond milk and stevia. I'm going to check the milk out when I hit the store next!
  • BeilaLin
    BeilaLin Posts: 189
    Stevia is good. Stay away from Splenda.

I would do the agave nectar though. I use it for most things. It has a low glycemic index (30 or so compared to table sugar, 80). It's 25% sweeter than sugar (so more is less).

Take a look at the table of GI on the bottom of this website:
    http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/blog/healthy-sugar-alternatives.php

Also consider other "creamy alternatives....almond milk, hemp milk, soy milk, skim milk, fat-free evaporated milk....you can save yourself money w/ coupons or try to get it on sale and stock up and leave in your pantry (they have good shelf life).

You'll save yourself from the calories and the trans fat and fat from normal creamer.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I JUST found a Coffee Mate natural creamer. Milk, cream, vanilla, sugar. It's really sweet so no extra sugar needed. It's 35 calories per tablespoon.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    many coffee creamers, including Coffee Mate, contain partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs). If you don't know about the evils of PHOs and how they are making us FAT and UNHEALTHY read here:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/nutrition-news/transfats/

You will do better to use full-fat half and half or cream in your coffee than any PHO (assuming you can tolerate dairy).

Otherwise look for substitute coffee creamers in better stores like Whole Foods or Jimbo's, or try International Delight brand in the regular grocery store (however, it still contains corn syrup -- the other evil that's making us fat).

Silk brand Pure Almond milk is very creamy.

blessings.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    many coffee creamers, including Coffee Mate, contain partially hydrogenated oils (PHOs). If you don't know about the evils of PHOs and how they are making us FAT and UNHEALTHY read here:

This new one doesn't though! I was amazed. Iv'e avoided them for a long time because of the crap in them.

http://www.coffee-mate.com/Products/Natural-Bliss-Vanilla.aspx#90d1a4e4-b471-43b7-91c5-7cef2cba48da
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Rachel - Thanks for the tip about the natural creamer, I will check that out! I also like sweet, creamy coffee and have been using the store brand irish creme flavored creamer in my coffee (16 oz cup of coffee, 1.5 tbsp of creamer).

Seconded on stay away from Splenda. Sucralose is a chemical, basically. Truvia (stevia) is all natural and just as sweet, if not sweeter.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member

This new one doesn't though! I was amazed. Iv'e avoided them for a long time because of the crap in them.

http://www.coffee-mate.com/Products/Natural-Bliss-Vanilla.aspx#90d1a4e4-b471-43b7-91c5-7cef2cba48da

I've used this, and it's good. Another one is International Delight Breve Creme: http://www.internationaldelight.com/Coffeehouse/Vanilla-Caramel-Cream (comes in chocolate and hazelnut flavors too).

I tried almond milk in my coffee and it was awful. There's just not enough richness to get the creamy consistency I like!
  • xxrouguexx
    xxrouguexx Posts: 12 Member
    fat free half and half in your coffee is a great way to save on fat and calories. Instead of regular sugar or those sugar non dairy creamers, try sweetening your coffee with a little truvia - it tastes much better then equal & splenda or for a little flavor try Agave Nectar - you can find this in the organic section in most supermarkets - Madhava is one of the brands that puts it out, and recently Domino started making it. Agave Nectar isn't calorie free but its less calories then regular sugar and better for you then the high fructose corn syrup in most non dairy creamers.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    I haven't a cultivated palate, I do like my coffee creamed,

my daughter bought me one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-3192-us-3192US-Aeroccino-Plus/dp/B001UHZAYS/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1313705130&sr=8-37

and it has saved me many calories,

I use almond milk and also add a few equals or splendas, it whips and heats the almond milk and then I pour on top of my coffee, it fools my eye, it fools my palate too,

I also use sugar free Torani or DaVinci syrups in my coffee,

sometimes I shake a little cocoa powder or cinnamon,

the foam last the whole cup, if I just put in the almond milk it would just look sort of gray, this foam thingy is FINE
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Rachel - Thanks for the tip about the natural creamer, I will check that out! I also like sweet, creamy coffee and have been using the store brand irish creme flavored creamer in my coffee (16 oz cup of coffee, 1.5 tbsp of creamer).

Seconded on stay away from Splenda. Sucralose is a chemical, basically. Truvia (stevia) is all natural and just as sweet, if not sweeter.

Search the message board for "truvia." It is processed just like Splenda. Natural stevia is better.