Off The Dreadmill-Central FL

Options
I have only been a treadmill runner, and yesterday, despite the blistering Central Florida heat, my girlfriend and I actually ran on real ground.... Our local parking garage became our gym. I was a little intimidated at the thought of leaving behind Millie, my faithful running companion (treadmill). We ran one lap around each of the 8 floors, then jogged up the stairs to the next level, and repeated this cycle until we got to the top.... then we ran the ramps and half laps back down to the first floor where our car was parked. It felt really good to run on solid ground. So good that we're going back again tonight.

For those of you who were once treadmill runners, and started running outside, do you find it easier or harder? More interesting or more boring? More fun or more work? I'm thinking I like it better than the treadmill... who knew?

Replies

• LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's SO MUCH HARDER for me. I think a lot of it has to due with inclines and the relatively unnatural surface of the treadmill itself. A lot of people don't realize either, that if the incline of the treadmill is set to 0, that it is the same as running downhill. I sure didn't realize that until I went running in the park with my b/f for the first time. It killed me! But I did find it more interesting as there were a lot more distractions. On the downside, I can't watch Netflix on my phone when I'm outdoors :o) But the outdoors is a great challenge and will certainly make you a better runner! Go for it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Better when it's cool outside, I have a friend, and it's nice scenery and I have music.
    Worse when it's dark, really hot, or I'm alone.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i totally prefer outside even in south florida....i hate the treadmill.......i'll do it but i'd rather be outside...the parking garage idea is great....i might borrow that sometime...i've done the stairs in a 23 story building before but not a garage....interesting....happy running...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I hate the dreadmill! I actually feel sorry for people at the gym who are missing out on running outside.
  • Gabby215
    Gabby215 Posts: 69
    Options
    No matter what the weather, I'd rather be outside. I actually started running outside during a heatwave and I kind of loved it! Of course, you have to take care of yourself, make sure you're properly hydrated, etc. but I actually like running in not so nice weather, like when it's raining, it makes me feel like a total bad *kitten*!! I like having things to look at when I run so I find the treadmill quite boring and only use it sometimes for sprint workouts. Though I will say that I think I run faster, or with a steadier pace, on the treadmill because I'm pretty sure I slow down and speed up regularly when I'm running outside but on the treadmill it's just set at one pace and that's what I do. I think that whichever way you like most and keeps you moving is the way to go and I do love the parking garage idea, I think that's really cool!
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like the thought of running in a parking garage...I'll have to put some thought into this to find one that could work. I am a treadmill runner.
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    First of all, I am from central Florida too so hello. :). I am waiting for the sun to go down right now so I can get my run in. The heat is brutal right now. Seine, I started out on the treadmill and I much prefer running outside. I can't bring myself to get on the treadmill anymore.
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Just ran the Celebration of Running at the Science Center with my girlfriend - ok, so she is way taller than me and she left me in the dust but we were in the same race. It was great to be outside but she suffered a stress fracture in her foot, the cobblestone roads are not forgiving. We both mix it up between treadmill and outdoors.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    That actually sounds like a fun run. I love it outside but can only do it when it is cooler. Today is 106 where I am, not worth taking the chance. We have a park that is a 5K trail that I absolutely love and do when temps are down. Being outside is so much better.
  • linbee83
    linbee83 Posts: 144
    Options
    Being in Central Florida myself, I commend you running outside in this heat. I myself prefer the treadmill right now, but I am a beginner. I'm thinking once I get more comfortable, I might be able to take it outside. (Also when it gets a bit cooler).
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    I was a treadmill runner once. I started c25k on it. One day I decided to do W4 outside. OMG...it was night and day. I couldn't do it. On a treadmill I could knock it out, no problem. So I decided to start over doing all my runs outdoors. I haven't looked back since. I might do a 3 mile run indoors every once in a while but 99% of my runs are outdoors now. I love running outdoors. For me it's more challenging and more fun.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My daughter had Cross country practice tonight at one of our parks...I did a couple of errands then went back to the park and walked. I was able to do 2.3 miles in 45 minutes- walking!!! That is more than I do on the treadmill when I do a walk/ jog for 40 minutes. Something tells me I am not working as hard on the treadmill as I did walking.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm in Central FL too. I haven't been brave enough to start running outside (I technically do since my dreadmill is on my back porch.). The garage is a really good idea. I get bored with my treadmill.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!