Portable Help for Muscle Related Problems for Runners

Options
ATT949
ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
A couple of weeks ago I had my first tussle with knee pain brought on by my IT band. It sucked. Yup, serious pain.

If you've never had IT band problems, that's great news.

If you have had IT band problems, it's something you'll want to not every have again!

A foam roller helped quite a bit but I was thinking about what I'd do if it hit me while I was running. If it was during training, OK I could limp home but what if I was running in a race and my IT band started giving me grief?

As it turns out, there's a simple solution!

I went to my favorite store and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-Massage-Roller/dp/B004BOT1T2/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1313686774&sr=8-6

I got it last week and it's great!

Yes, $17 for a pool ball in a plastic holder is pretty steep but consider this - I'm doing a half marathon in San Diego this weekend and a marathon in Sacarmento in December. The entry fee for each of those events is almost $100. Add in the cost of lodging and travel and the $17 price for that little gadget is peanuts.

It's easy to use and very effective.

Replies

• cathcakey
    cathcakey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Very clever! A squash ball also works very well
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I thought about that but you hit a problem when your skin isn't slippery — instead of letting you massage your leg, it pushes against your skin. With this little gizmo, it just rolls along on the surface of the skin.

Time for a run!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    ATT949

are you running CIM?