HELP! Alternative to the birthday cake?!

Options
It's my sister's 18th birthday tomorrow and I'm SUPER excited to celebrate it with her! Unfortunately (or fortunately?), everyone in my family has become a health nut since I joined MFP (serious NSV right there). I don't want to make her a traditional birthday cake and end up with massive leftovers, so...

Do you have any ideas for a lower fat / lower sugar birthday cake or about other birthday dessert suggestions altogether? She's a chocolate lover and ideally, I'd love to still have her blow out candles on whatever the dessert turns out to be. Thanks!! :)

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    what about baked apples, with s/f cool whip?
  • Skinny_foodie
    Options
    replace the oil in a regular cake with applesauce, cook it about 3 minutes less then you otherwise would. The flavor is pretty much the same, the cake it self has a whole lot less fat.

Then dust it with powdered sugar, not the same as frosting, but it will be pretty and add some no sugar added vanilla icecream with fresh rasberry sauce (or just the berries).

Super tasty and pretty... fully worthy of a candle :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com :D
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I need a plan for this too, it's my birthday next month haha
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    What about one of those big edible arrangement things. They are really cute and full of fruit and chocolate covered strawberries.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Try Deep Chocolate Vitatops! Yum, much like a cupcake, super chocolatey and moist but only 100 cal, 9 gm fiber.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mini cupcakes!!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Angel food cake is always a good alternative. For frosting - use fat free cool whip mixed with sugar free chocolate pudding (unprepared).
  • kkinse
    kkinse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second the Edible Arrangement thing...you can even get them made in a birthday cake container!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    replace the oil in a regular cake with applesauce, cook it about 3 minutes less then you otherwise would. The flavor is pretty much the same, the cake it self has a whole lot less fat.

Then dust it with powdered sugar, not the same as frosting, but it will be pretty and add some no sugar added vanilla icecream with fresh rasberry sauce (or just the berries).

yum!!! we also do fruit pizzas some time or angel food cake. you could drizzle some chocolate syrup on it as well.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake? I know of a tonnnnnn of great cheesecake recipes that are great on the health side of the world.
    Bread pudding? Know of good recipes for that too.
    Black bean brownies?!!?! High protein, and mid on F and C?
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes! They are delicious, small and you can make just enough for everyone to have one (so no leftovers). Also you can make them as rich and decadent or as healthy as you wish. :)
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    Take a box caked mix and add only a can of diet soda to it and bake. moistest, no oil, no eggs, tastes awesome!
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How about angel food cake with FF cool whip and drizzle with choc. syrup?

Or an angel food cake mix with a can of pineapple(and that is it) in it!

LOTS of good ideas already posted!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    when my bday was here i asked my mom to make me a sugar free jello cake with light cool whip and fruit :)) delish!
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    make brownies and layer them to look like a cake, take 1 piece and let everyone else have the rest.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are all awesome suggestions!! :D I'll work it out with my mom and figure out what we can do! Thanks for all your thoughtful responses!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Banana cream pie with sugar free pudding and reduced fat cool whip, bananas, vanilla wafers and candles? Or try a chocolate pudding mix instead!!
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Another idea is a cake ball....bake a cake (you could do the applesauce thing) and while the cake is still warm crumble it all up. Add frosting to it and then scoop with a small scoop (a little bigger than a melon ball scoop). You can freeze these. One is about 2 bites & gives you the flavor of cake & frosting but it's only 2 bites. You can combine all kinds of flavors and roll in nuts or coconut but that ups the calorie content.

Good luck!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

And you can lay stencils on the cake to spell out words. I do that with the cookies I bake for my son's preschool on his birthday every year. If you can't find stencils just cut letters out of cardboard.