chronic pain

Options
My primary motivation for changing my eating habits and getting in shape is to manage my chronic pain. I was just wondering if there were any other chronic pain sufferers out there and what you do to keep up your motivation to exercise even though in the short-term it makes the pain and fatigue even worse???

Replies

• PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I don't have an answer for you - just want to encourage you in your journey. I pray that you will find some pain relief as you strengthen your body. Take care.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I rely a lot on stubbornness, lol.

It's really tricky to learn how to distinguish between "body is just complaining" pain and "STOP NOW OR YOU WILL CAUSE A FULL-BLOWN FLARE" pain, and I must confess that I still get it wrong sometimes, even 9 years after diagnosis...but listening to my body very carefully has been a huge help. Some days I will up my calories or reduce my exercise because I can tell my body is getting cranky, and it needs a little extra help recovering. (Today, for example, I will probably go over my calories because my pain level is getting a bit high and my body is extremely wiped.)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My primary motivation for changing my eating habits and getting in shape is to manage my chronic pain. I was just wondering if there were any other chronic pain sufferers out there and what you do to keep up your motivation to exercise even though in the short-term it makes the pain and fatigue even worse???

Honestly, I struggle every day with wanting to just lay in bed and not do anything, but I know that in the long run, moving is better for my joints. So I reluctantly get my butt moving. Once I'm moving though, I am feeling some better. Of course, taking a pain med beforehand also helps :)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but I always find my pain is a little easier after exercise and I know when I am fitter and lighter I do feel better and the pain isn't so bad. That's part of what keeps me motivated. The other is my friends on MFP. They keep me going. They are sympathetic to my situation but point out how much better I will feel when I have moved around and when I finally get to a healthy weight.

Just take it easy with the exercise. Build it up slowly, week by week so that you don't knock yourself back. That has been one hard lesson I have had to learn. There is no point doing too much for a couple of weeks to then have to take a complete break because you are too exhausted to do anything.

You can do this, just make sure you listen to your body and build it up slowly. I wish you all the best with it :-)
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My mother has a blend of auto immune diseases. They couldn't diagnose her with one particular thing. She has rheumatory arthritis, Lupus, and is in pain. She exercises everyday (boxing) the exercise was the best thing for her. It did hurt for her at first, but she says that now it is much more manageable. She has lost a lot of weight and boxes 5 days a week.
    Hope this helps
  • ozzyperone
    Options
    I have chronic back pain from degenerative disc disease, bulging and herniated discs, and discs that have rotated. I also have nerve damage and limited mobility on my right side. All this is from an injury in 2001 from being hit by a car. I am on a large dose of pain meds, which no longer helps as it once did. I struggle each day to get thru the tasks i must do, especially my goal of daily cardio of at least 45 mins. There are days i am on my treadmill, holding on with both hands with tears streaming down my face. On those days i do not push myself to do more, but i do still make sure i do the minimum with the hope that in the long run i will feel better from losing the weight. The pain isnt gonna go away, but u can make sure the pounds do.
  • lolathompson
    lolathompson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes moving for me make the pain ease up, but I do have to exercise as much as I can. Today for the 1 time in my life I went on a hike. I have had leg pain for over 3 years. You can do it. Hot Bath with Epson salt after the workout helps tremendously! Hope that helps.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I keep the thought in the back of my head that, if I don't exercise, I will hurt more. Exercise boosts my mood and gives me energy. It takes my focus off of the pain. On my bad days, I make up excuses not to go out to take a walk or go for a jog, but I try to turn those excuses around and tell myself that that IS precisely why I need to go. I try to remember the year I spent in bed and did not work. I don't want to repeat that experience ever again. I can do this!

(Does that help any?)

Would you believe writing that gave me a guilt trip? I have not been out yet today. Dang!

Friend me if you want. :-)
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if mine qualifies as chronic pain. For the last 2 years I haven't been able to lie on my back, well I could lie down and it felt great, but to get up again was agony! I don't want to jinx it, but since I've been losing the weight and exercising, I have been finding it possible to lie down AND get up again fairly easily. I'm hoping that it will get even easier as I so more.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Meds help you cope ,but for me I used to give in and just vegitate thats definitely a no go for me now you just have to persevere and keep on trying.Dont overdo it ,just a little at a time,eat the right foods,the ones that help not hinder your body ."never give in ,never surrender",Good luck and hopefully things will improve for you ,they have for me
  • ginadaye
    ginadaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Advise is easier given than taken . . . or easier said than done would be a better saying. I have so many times started out gung-ho, only to find myself exhausted and in so much pain that I then don't do anything . . . and of course it never becomes a habit. I am starting out slowly this time. Maybe at 61 years of age, I am finally learning! LOL Seriously, I have fibromyalgia and arthritis. There's hardly a joint/muscle in my body that doesn't hurt to some degree and that is on 4 pain pills a day. But I am determined, as so many of you are, to work through it. But the secret, so says my pain management doctor, is to PACE YOURSELF. This time I'm trying to do it all right. Best wishes to you and to all here suffering with chronic pain. Nobody said it would be easy . . . but it is possible! Hang in there!:happy:
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain in my hips and legs and shoulder. It is so painful. I do water exercise and it is much easier in the water. I am addicated to the pool.. going to the gym and doing 60 min of cardio is great for me. It took me awhile to build up to the whole hour but now i feel so much better after i do it. Keep doing what you can every little bit helps:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: