Knowledge of the Human body.

annaasun
annaasun Posts: 74 Member
So a lot of people claim to know what is best for your body, based on what? Studies that other people post? Studies that most people wouldnt understand unless they have studied chemisty, biology, zoology or even physics.

So my question is... how many of you understand the human body? Down to the cellular level. Do you know why and how you body does certain things? React to what you eat?
Personally, I have studied up to organic chemisty. Finished all the credits in Biology, Physiology, Zoology, Pharmacology with a minor in physics. (trying to get into Med school)

I guess im just venting because a lot of people say that is or that is bad for you. But dont understand why. Of couse you have those people who just dont know, but thats fine. Its those people who claim to know whats ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Replies

• janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Congratulations on your education.

Personal experience.
  • Jessamin
    Jessamin Posts: 338 Member
    Special Snowflake Syndrome: ALERT.

No but really, I know how the bodies of companion animals work and for the most part, it is terribly similar. I have very little interest in studying humans.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Special Snowflake Syndrome: ALERT.

:laugh:
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    My undergrad minor was in Kinesiology, however I have the fortune to have some great colleagues to reference at times when I have questions about new research.

As well, Pubmed is your friend listing every published study on record.

Lastly, I have the additional fortune to count some of the top Elite trainers in the business as personal contracts who are always happy to share the latest references or refer me over to those who are experts in their field.

I credit my fitness journey to the Physical Education Dept of McGill University, Dr Rene Turcotte (Director of Graduate Studies in Physical Education/Kinesiology, Reg Grant (Former Strength/Conditoining Coach at Concordia University now with the NEw York Rangers), Maria Mountain (Elite Trainer of NHL and Olympic Athletes and operator of Revolution Conditioning), Matt Nichol (One of my classmates at McGill and now a Level 5 Strength and Conditioning coach for the NHL and Canadian Olympic Team. Also Developer of Biosteel), and Dr. John Berardi (Coordinator of Precision Nutrition)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I know what you mean. I did all those things and now I'm halfway through a PhD in skeletal muscle physiology and biochemistry. I literally grow muscle cells and am running two projects studying the effects of high-fat and high-saturated fat diets on skeletal muscle protein synthesis, fatty acid oxidation, and endotoxemia.

And guess what? People still think I'm wrong.

Gotta move on, girl. Let people be ignorant if they want to. But most MFPers respond very well to well-educated and solicited advice from people who are knowledgeable without having to announce it. :)

I'm editing to add: I don't think I know it ALL. But I know my specialization very, very well.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    I have no clue how to lose weight anymore. When I was young all I had to do was cut calories back and BOOM pounds gone. It has taken me sinse February to lose 11 pounds UGH!!

I know how to read my body on what foods aren't good for me... CARBS!!!!

I just eat as healthy as I can and workout as hard as I can and see what happens.

Congrats! You will have a great future.
  • Good for you on your education. No, I don't necessarily know everything about the human body down to the cellular level. I also don't know all the intricate workings of a car, but I know how to take care of it & keep it running optimally. My mechanic has to help with the big stuff (like a doctor has to help with the big stuff re: my body), but I have a decent knowledge to maintain it well. I think most of us know the basics; implementing what we know is the problem.

I'm not arrogant enough to presume to know it all, thank goodness.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Are you trying to get special props or something/? I have just as much education as you, but I don't make posts to brag about it...so what was the point of all this?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Are you trying to get special props or something/? I have just as much education as you, but I don't make posts to brag about it...so what was the point of all this?

I think she thinks that no one is as qualified as her to know things about WHYYYYY
  • songbyrdsweet

I think it's the specific area of education. I have no idea about computers because I have never received a legitimate education beyond searching for a lost file. So for me to give computer advice would be silly. It's sort of like this for health stuff, but there's so much opinion and 'research' widely available that there's no longer a delineation between a formally educated person and someone who reads a lot of magazines. Many people take both sources of information with the same weight. It's actually pretty offensive at times, but oh well.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member

I think it's the specific area of education. I have no idea about computers because I have never received a legitimate education beyond searching for a lost file. So for me to give computer advice would be silly. It's sort of like this for health stuff, but there's so much opinion and 'research' widely available that there's no longer a delineation between a formally educated person and someone who reads a lot of magazines. Many people take both sources of information with the same weight. It's actually pretty offensive at times, but oh well.

A good rule of thumb is: If the article doesn't include references to the actual published studies that back up the claims....toss it.
  • songbyrdsweet

A good rule of thumb is: If the article doesn't include references to the actual published studies that back up the claims....toss it.

Hehe....try telling that to people who aren't in academia. :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I did my degree in human evolution and paleopathology, and am a trained rowing coach, so have a good working knowledge of human evolution in terms of what we are designed to eat, life span and the effect of diet and lifestyle on human growth, bones, teeth and hair. I don't know a huge amount about cellular biology, as we didn't cover that in depth past A-level.

I know a fair amount about skeletal structure (of mammals), and effective training for rowing, but not other sports.
  • Now that I think about it, I think Grandma is pretty smart. Eat your vegetables. Don't eat too many cookies & sweets. Brush your teeth. Don't forget to wash behind your ears. Go outside and play. Play nice. Go to bed early. Yes, I think Grandma is pretty darn smart.
  • songbyrdsweet
    I did my degree in human evolution and paleopathology, and am a trained rowing coach, so have a good working knowledge of human evolution in terms of what we are designed to eat, life span and the effect of diet and lifestyle on human growth, bones, teeth and hair. I don't know a huge amount about cellular biology, as we didn't cover that in depth past A-level.

I know a fair amount about skeletal structure (of mammals), and effective training for rowing, but not other sports.

Oh man, cool degrees! I was really interested in pathology in undergrad. If I could get multiple degrees, I would get my current one, something with pathology, something about epigenetics, and something with forensics. Maybe when I turn 60 and can go to college for free, I'll dabble.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    All. .. . .I hear. . .. is blah. . blah. . . blah. . . blah. . .blah. .. . waaaaaa. . ... .waaaaaaaa. . . . There are a lot of people on this site that

are knowledgable due to their education or personal experience. . .or both. . . . .>>>>>> If it doesn't impact your personally<<<<. . .

just leave it alone. . . As far as your vast education. . . GENERAL RULE OF THUMB. . . . don't give ADVICE. . . . "oh ya". . . .unless

someone asks for it. . . .
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Okay my respect for you has been raised. Love human evolution.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    nvm :) don't really feel like arguing
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Best post ever!!!!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    I have a Masters in Medical Technology with specialties in Clinical Chem, Blood Banking and Hematology. I have a bachelor's degree n Health Information Management and working toward a Masters. I've worked in genetics labs,microbiology, endocrine labs and along with the departments I specialize in.

Does this make me an expert? No.

I know more than most people that have no medical or related education. There are some very good self taught people who I think know a lot more than I do. However, people need to seperate what they've learned at a university from the real world, because a lot of things you learn in school do not play out the same in real life.

So, I think a good mixture of real world experience and education is a good way to go. There are few people with an education that is 100% suited to health, nutrition and fitness. Often, people have a semi-related skill set, like me, and pretty much everyone else in this thread.

Having a biology degree alone isn't going to do it. Having a kinesiology degree alone isn't going to cover everything. Being a nutritionist does not cover kinesiology and most people that are MDs are not also trained in kinesiology(though they have a good general knowledge some aspects of it)....ect.

So I wouldn't be too high on your horse about which degree you have because last I checked no single degree encompasses health,fitness,nutrition, personal training and athletic performance. Many degrees focus on one or two aspects but gloss over the rest. There are few true experts.

Someone with a good idea of anatomy and physiology , along with education in a related field (health care, kinesiology..ect.) will probably have a better base knowledge to work with but a lot of this isn't rocket science either.