Falling off the wagon....

Options
I've been here a few months. I worked out several (3-4) times a week. I stayed under my 1200 (net) calories a day. I lost 20 pounds.

I feel like I have totally fallen off the wagon. Over the last 2 weeks or so, I've stopped working out. I've started binging. I'm not measuring, I'm going back for seconds, I'm eating desserts and mindlessly eating chips...

I feel like I will never be thin, I never really was... I knew I was losing my motivation a little while back, but now it's not only come to a standstill but I'm in reverse. I have a "what's the point" attitude. I love food. I LOVE IT. My husband is a 4 star chef for crying out loud. I'm used to cooking rich foods, full of cream and butter. Luxurious foods. Not steamed vegetables and dissapointingly small pieces of meat. I've NEVER enjoyed exercising, so I can't eat this way and simply burn off the calories.

I feel like I'm giving up, falling off the proverbial wagon...

Replies

• scott1024
    scott1024 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    We're slowing down the wagon so you can jump back on...c'mon, I'll give you a hand.
  • skinnyb450
    skinnyb450 Posts: 288
    Options
    Don't give up ...I have just had a period of 5 weeks of non motivation and have only this week refocused and re -evaluated why I went on this journey in the first place - At the end of the day it has to be YOUR choice to change - we can get support, encouragement but be honest with yourself - Ask yourself how much do you really want this?? That is what I did and I am back on track - feeling motivated once again - BELIEVE in yourself and you can do anything you put your mind too - Read your profile with fresh eyes and add/delete your reasons

Best of luck with your journey - :):flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    peanut. i am sorry you are in a funk....we all go through those times...try to start exercising again it will help....good luck:flowerforyou:
  • KnightsGal76
    KnightsGal76 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Calorie Zig Zagging... it gives you days when you have lower calorie intake and days when you have high intake... it has really helped me with my motivation (I was in the same boat you are in)... but this gives me the opportunity to eat (in moderation) those foods that if I was a strict 1200 net I wouldn't be able to enjoy unless I starved myself the rest of the day. I know that I will be able to eat that ice cream in the fridge, or the pizza... in 2 days, or 1 or whenever my next high calorie day is.
  • jhendricks123
    jhendricks123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself why you want to lose weight. Is it for health reasons? To live a longer, happier life? Vanity (nothing wrong with that!)? I'll tell you mine: I have sleep apnea and I want to be able to sleep with my fiance without a CPAP mask strapped to my face sounding like darth vader for the rest of our long lives. I had symptoms of ED which have already cleared up after the last 25lbs. I want to LOOK GOOD for myself, and for my fiance, and it would be nice to get a few looks now and then. Finally, I never want to be held back from anything because of a weight or size restriction. I want to skydive again and not worry about weight limits, I want to be less bulky when I scuba dive, I want to run a marathon and hood to coast etc etc.

You started your journey for a reason, you just need to remind yourself what it was and decide if it is important enough for you. There are plenty of overweight people out there who are perfectly happy with where they are, and honestly there's nothing wrong with it. It's a personal choice. You're a beautiful woman going by your avatar, but it doesn't sound to me like you're happy where you are. Why is that?
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You have to decide whether to "get back on the wagon". Is changing your habits worth it for your health? I think so but you have to decide what is important in your life. As for eating good food..you can..just in smaller quantities.

As for exercise, you need to do it. Everybody does. It's just a fact if you want to stay healthy as you age. But you don't have to do the "standard" things. Find something you like. If you don't like walking in your neighborhood or on a treadmill, try "mall-walking" (if you are a shopaholic".

Try bike riding, running, swimming or something else. Keep experimenting until you find something you like. The realitiy is that the more you "move", the more your body will crave moving like it does food. It really works!

I'm rooting for you but again it's up to you. What do you want to do?
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can do it - I know how hard it is! I'm a total foodie, too, my whole family is - we spend many meals talking about our current food, other wonderful meals we've had, and what we're going to have for future meals. granted, we're often on vacation when these discussions occur, but it happens all the time. It was only after spending a lot of meals with my husband's family that I realized most "normal" people don't do this!!

Just this week I ordered a couple of new books by Rocco DiSpirito - a foodie and recent convert to healthy cooking. I look forward to reading more about his journey to healthier eating and can't wait for some of his light but surely delicious recipes. Maybe this might work for you too?
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love food too:smooched: ... I may not be a chef but there are yummy foods that are not covered in butter or sauce or cream...:sad: (I know, it doesn't seem possible!):noway: Perhaps you could challenge your hubby to create some tasty foods that are healthy and nutritious... :bigsmile:

As far as the wagon goes, I will borrow a line from Flylady.net ... Jump in where you are! You are not behind! And you need to FLY~ Finally Love Yourself!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

With Friendship and Warmth from Missouri!

:flowerforyou: ~Sonia
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. Both for your metabolism / body type, and for your lifestyle. Don't beat yourself up if one style isn't working for you: just try something else. Not all metabolisms are created equal, and what works for someone else just might not work for you.

If you really like / crave rich cream & butter, your body might be trying to tell you something. You might look into the Paleo, Primal, or another low-carb / high-fat / high-protein lifestyle. That might be sustainable for you. I don't follow any specific "diet plan," but my doctor did a bunch of tests on my metabolism, and based on that he has me eating a ratio of 5% carbs, 30% fat, 65% protein. Since I began that four months ago, I've lost over 30 lbs and I don't feel deprived or hungry at all. I would not recommend anything that drastic without consulting your doctor. But you should consider the possibility of altering your nutrient ratios & seeing whether you are better able to lose weight (and stay motivated) that way.

For more information, check out the documentary "Fat Head," available on Netflix or Hulu, or see if you can find the Canadian documentary "My Big Fat Diet."
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can do it - you've lost 20 pounds already. I like the idea of zig zagging, it seems like I do that sometimes naturally. Eat healthy (around 1200 cal) most days and a couple go ahead an have the great stuff, in moderation. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight and lifestyle is a long term investment in yourself. You deserve it.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    There have been times when I've not only fell off the wagon, but I've been dragged behind it, then trampled by the horses. We've all been there I think and somehow we find it in ourselves to get back on track again. Lots of great people here with kind words of advice to lift you up. You're in the right place. Get back slowly, you'll do great !!!!
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Take a few non-log days to yourself to refocus and think about why you're doing this. For yourself, your friends and family, your health and self-confidence. You can do this AND you are absolutely worth the effort! You've already lost 20 pounds - that's incredible. Every day is a new day, so don't trouble yourself by thinking about any recent overeating.

Also - see if you can find an exercise you love, so that it doesn't feel like a chore. Perhaps you could take up a zumba class or water aerobics with friends? Go on a nightly walk with your husband? Exercise doesn't have to happen in front of a TV or a gym.

I hope that you find your way back onto the wagon. As was said earlier, we are slowing it down and willing to help you back on!
  • kimbsh01
    kimbsh01 Posts: 38
    Options
    Wats most impprtant is that u have realized that you have fallen off the wagon...so now it is time to get back on
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I went through this last year. Was watching my calories & exercising, lost 20 lbs, then thought, "I'm TIRED of trying so hard! I LOVE food, and I've never been thin! I guess I'm just meant to be big, at least I can eat what I want & enjoy it!". Then I gained back 15 of those lbs in 6 months. I'm back and definitely sticking with it this time. NOTHING tastes as good as being in SHAPE and being around for my son FEELS. :-) Hop back on this wagon... if you're feeling guilty about "getting off the wagon" maybe it's because subconsciously you really DO want this but you are afraid of failure in the end? Because if you're going to fail, why try? I had that problem till I *realized* it was my problem and I confronted it. I told myself, "I may fail at reaching my 140-lb goal, but I will NOT fail at TRYING to reach that goal. ANY weight lost is still a success." Hope this helps!!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Ahh, girl, I wish I could say just the right words to motivate you again. Know I love you and support you 110%. The motivation, however, has to come from you. I have days when I am so motivated, and days I am so not. On the days that I am not, I tell myself, "it's all about choices," and then i make myself do whatever it is I am not wanting to do (usually working out). I also give myself days off, not just a rest day, but days off from working out. They are not set in stone. It's just sometimes I need a mental break from it. My best trick though is to put on my workout clothes. When I am in my workout clothes, I tend to eat healthier, and eventually I find the motivation to workout (usually).

You have to find what works for you and you have to decide if you really want this. The motivation has to come from you. Some times you will not be motivated, but you have to push through it.

One of the posts suggested calorie zigzagging - great suggestion. Do whatever works for you. Love ya girl!
  • jbravo5
    jbravo5 Posts: 11
    Options
    I know how you feel! I guess there a lot of us out there. I start off the morning full of determination but by dinnertime, I just don't care about it anymore. Then I feel guilty! I recommend getting to the gym and get a few good workouts in. that is always so motivating to me!!! Also, I read a book called Women, Food and God, and it was very informative. good luck!! you can definitely do this.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    First of all WHAT WAGON?! This isn't a one way trip to skinny land, and if you fall off it doesn't leave without you. Sometimes you need to take a few days of eating bad (and I mean REALLY bad) to remind yourself how crappy you feel having all that JUNK in your body. If that doesn't work, then maybe it's simple as re-evaluating your diet. Are you restricting anything, or depriving yourself of too much? If you can't live with your choices now, and you're miserable then you are NOT doing something right. I used to be under the impression that I couldn't enjoy food if I wanted to lose weight. Little did I know there's a world full of delicious healthy recipes that were just waiting for me to find them! Take a little time to think about what you want, then make the food choices fit around THAT. It doesn't have to be difficult, and you don't have to hurt yourself physically or mentally by jumping on and off this silly little wagon all the time. Best of luck :) Hope you figure out what works for you!
  • angiematwij
    Options
    Hang in there we all have bad weeks. Just start fresh tomorrow and take one meal at at time. This is a life long journey. You can do it.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That sounds like me before I got ON the wagon. LOL I knew what I was eating was horrible for me, but I liked eating it... but I didn't like the way I was feeling or looking. I agree with many of the others who have responded - it sounds like to need to change things up. Why continue eating 1200 calories? Why not go to 1500? Why not use "spike" or "cheat" days - maybe weekly - to have those lovely, creamy foods? AND, I really like the idea of challenging your husband to cook tasty, yet healthier foods. I love the Cooking Light magazine... the recipes are not always uber-healthy, but they are tasty and wayyyy better for you than the recipes found in other mags. Find the balance YOU need to make it work for you in the long run... be healthier and happier. Best of luck.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I kind of go with what jhendricks123 said. Take some time and think about the motivation that set you on your weight loss journey. Maybe you need to modify your goals. I'm a 6'2 guy so I have a little trouble wrapping my head around a max of 1200 calories a day but maybe if you change your goals it'll be easier for you. Even if you change your settings so you're only losing .5 lbs a week that would be progress and if that works for you in a couple of months bump it up to 1 lb a week and see how that works for you. Unfortunately, none of us ever take the exact same path when losing weight. We can encourage each other, offer advice on what's worked for ourselves personally and make suggestions but that's about it. The one thing that frustrates me about this site are the people who get on here and preach like their way, or their diet is the only way. It's not. Personally, I try to eat reasonably healthy through the week but the weekend is usually a free for all. Saturdays it's on. I eat everything that doesn't get out of the way but I still try to watch my portions. Sunday isn't quite as bad but it's still a little out of hand and then Monday I'm back to eating healthy.

The only true bit of advice I can offer from personal experience is don't give up for good just because you're have a bad week or even a bad month. I did 7 years ago and it wasn't pretty. I'd lost 77 lbs. I was looking good. I was feeling good. I'd even gotten to the point where I enjoyed running and was doing 4-5 miles a day 6 days a week (I've yet to find that motivation again) and I woke up one day and stopped. I didn't feel like going to the track so I didn't. I wanted some cookies so I had half a bag off Chips Ahoy and about half a gallon of milk and then I went back to bed. It's taken me a long time to find my motivation again and this time I *think* I've got it worked out. I try not to look at it as just losing weight. My mom is borderline diabetic, my dad who's never been heavy and is very active had a heart attack back in April and I'm tired off having to shop in the big and tall section. I needed to be healthier for a variety of reasons and I'm getting there and I'm willing to do what it takes to stay there.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you and makes you happy.