Mama needs a new pair of shoes...

Options
This may sound like a stupid question but I'm asking anyway. Do running stores sell cross trainer type shoes? I've been wearing New Balance shoes and I've been pretty happy with them. The guy at the store was fairly knowledgeable and helped me find a good pair for doing Plyometrics and other cardio workouts. Now that they're about six months old and my feet are starting to hurt I think I need to get a new pair. I'd like to try some different brands just to see how they feel (you never know what you might be missing out on if you don't branch out!) but I don't want to just go to some mall store where they're clueless.

Would a running store be a good place to look or are they strictly running? Any suggestions as to type, style, brand or store? I do realize shoes are personal which is why I need a knowledgeable sales person but it would be good to have a starting point. My workouts are things like plyometrics, cardio kickboxing and jumping/walking/running around cardio. I do weights too but whatever my feet are happy in for the other stuff they seem to be just fine for standing still and lifting. I do a little running on the treadmill too but it's not my mainstay.

Thank you oh wise ones!