Cheat days?

Options
Anyone have any strong feelings/opinions for or against an occasional "cheat day?" If you do indulge, about how often do you do it and do you log calories at all those days?

Replies

• RNLeslie
    RNLeslie Posts: 150
    Options
    Anyone have any strong feelings/opinions for or against an occasional "cheat day?" If you do indulge, about how often do you do it and do you log calories at all those days?
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    There's a really good article on zig-zagging your calories. That is, you go over your calories one day by about 2-400 and then the next day you're under by that much. It's supposed to keep your body/metabolism guessing. I haven't ever done it intentionally, I just find that some days I go over, and some days I'm under. But I always, always, always log my calories. Even if I eat horribly I still log them. It really does help to see exactly what and how much you're putting into your body. Good luck! :drinker:
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I have what I want maybe once every 2 weeks. I sometimes wright it down and sometimes I don't. You have got to have something you want every now and then or it just feels like torture.:flowerforyou:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    YES :laugh: YES:grumble: YES :blushing: to all of the above, I only have to have a cheat day when I have NOT eaten properly for a few days (my body gets used to rubbish again and then wants MORE,MORE and even MORE :sad: ).

Do log those calories on your cheat DAY, if you don't you will forget and will want another cheat day TOOOOOOOOOOOO soon :noway: .
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There's a really good article on zig-zagging your calories. That is, you go over your calories one day by about 2-400 and then the next day you're under by that much. It's supposed to keep your body/metabolism guessing. I haven't ever done it intentionally, I just find that some days I go over, and some days I'm under. But I always, always, always log my calories. Even if I eat horribly I still log them. It really does help to see exactly what and how much you're putting into your body. Good luck! :drinker:

A nutritionist I spoke to told me this as well. They also told me to switch up the foods you eat so your body doesn't get used to the same items and digestive cycle. Keep the body thinking!

Any who...back to the question:

I cheat about once a week. I try to limit my calories and not go totally over-board, but it's nice to go out to dinner and not worry about only eating 500 calories for dinner. Of course with the holidays, it's twice a week, but everyday in-between...I'm RIGHT at my daily totals or just under. I am going to the movies on Friday and already said NO POPCORN (but will have a few red vines in place of) as a cheat, because I'm going to Mexican next Tuesday. It's a give or take now, not a take take take. :smile:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I have 1 a week. If you search the forums you should find a lot of info on this. It's a pretty popular topic
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Absolutely, I cheat about once every other week becasue after awhile your body craves certaint things so it is better to cheat then than to resist and then go absolutely crazy. I find that once every two weeks is just about right!:drinker:
  • emnance
    Options
    I actually don't have a cheat "day", but usually I do have a cheat meal once a week. It gives me something to look forward to and it helps me stay on track the rest of the week because I know a good meal is coming. My cheat meal occurs on Friday nights, because my husband and I usually go out to eat. I allow myself to eat whatever I want. This definitely helps me not to cheat the rest of the week.

It's good to indulge every once in a while:smile:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Hubby doesn't like it when I have those days.snickeringg.gif

OH!! You meant with food! th_omg.gif

Nevermind then.:embarassed:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hubby doesn't like it when I have those days.snickeringg.gif

OH!! You meant with food! th_omg.gif

Nevermind then.:embarassed:
    Yours too???? :huh:

:grumble: Dang them!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    what I have learned is eventually you just dont WANT that bad food. You begin to crave healthy food. I know when TOM is on the way I crave sushi/fatty fish(healthy fats) instead of the old days when it used to be do I want choclate salt fatty chips(yes please fork em over and no one gets hurt) . I do think that you should "cheat" everyday meaning factor it into your calorie budget and NO I dont mean a huge slice of cheesecake after a 6 mile run. I mean have a piece of dark chcolate an ounce and make your cheats quality so that give you more satiety. But I say NO to an all out calorie fest they are just detrimental and undo hard work. BUT DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP if you slip off the wagon
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I don't get a chance to do it very often as we don't eat out much BUT I know that if I have done well all week and the opportunity were to present itself - heck yea I'd cheat every once in a while!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm with FitJoani. I have no more interest in cheat days. Yuck.
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Yeah I think my husband might not like that either... BUT maybe he should do a little something to prevent that (i just b@#$%ed about it really quickly in my other post - 100 pounds or something like that). :blushing:

Then again, sex burns calories, right? So it could all be in the name of weight loss.... think he'll go for it? Lol! :laugh:
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Yeah I think my husband might not like that either... BUT maybe he should do a little something to prevent that (i just b@#$%ed about it really quickly in my other post - 100 pounds or something like that). :blushing:

Then again, sex burns calories, right? So it could all be in the name of weight loss.... think he'll go for it? Lol! :laugh:
    [/quote]
  • RNLeslie
    Options
    Sorry for the double post. No one said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer... :ohwell: