Weighing yourself?

Options
How often do you weigh yourself? For me it's hard not to do it really often, I want to see my results! But I also see how it can get discouraging if you are doing it too often. Just curious how often everyone else steps on the scale?

Replies

• myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week. its too easy for me to let the scale - and the numbers - psyche me out. so I weigh Sunday mornings :)
  • AZBob1956
    AZBob1956 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    once a week at the same time on the same day each week and you won't get frustrated at the ups and downs.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, but I only register my weight on MFP every Saturday or Sunday. Once a week is the best.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get out of the habit of doing it every morning. I only log once a week, but I find it really motivational to step on and
    a)be rewarded for yesterday's efforts
    b)be motivated to try again today and
    c)know that if I mucked up yesterday, how much it affected me.

I know there's going to be fluctuations every day depending on yesterday's water intake, TOM, and such.
  • LordRahl
    LordRahl Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Once a week, Friday mornings before eating. Your weight can fluctuate doing it day to day and then at the end of the week it is a surprise and inspiration.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 73298637659347816297 times a day. Seriously. :p

Heh but I see nothing wrong with weighing every morning. That way I can see how my sodium/Potassium/caffeine effects my body weight. I know its not fat xD Im just a nerd like that
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I see people that say (and most experts will) that you shouldn't weigh yourself too often as you may get discouraged by weight fluctuations. However for me what works is to weigh myself often, that way I understand better patterns that emerge between exercise and nutrition and can then learn from past behaviours.
    If you do this however you need to be ready for some up and down swings and you need to realize that sometimes going up a couple of lbs has nothing to do with your diet or anything, you can't let it get to you.
    Ultimately don't do what others say you should but do what works best for you.
  • pamela1129
    pamela1129 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Wait, caffeine affects your weight? I did not know this.....

Ugh. And I had a diet coke today. I never drink soda but today I did. Phooey....
  • joianne
    joianne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A bizillion times a day...but the official day is Friday mornings. My mom and I are trying to lose a 100lbs by next summer, and if we do we go on a cruise. So every Friday I weigh myself, take a pic with my phone and send her the picture to log onto our Challenge sheet.
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    once a month, if I can cause I don't own one.... If I start to notice less chubb on my love handles and such, I'll measure.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    once a week, friday
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh everyday but I only record every three or four days (or when there is a significant change). I want to weigh myself now, but I no longer have a scale... I need to fix that.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself multiple times throughout the day. However, I'm trying to break this habit and it's been very difficult. I haven't weighed myself since Monday morning and that's the longest I've gone in a looong time.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Yup, once a week is good. I don't have a scale at home and it's a hassle to weigh myself at my gym which is good because it discourages me from weighing in every day! :)
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself once a week in the morning before I eat anything. Occasionally, I'll weigh myself mid-week in the morning before I eat, just to see where I am. But, I don't let that mid-week weigh-in affect me one way or another. The end of the week one is the one that counts.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The Sage advise Annika is to record your weight once a week same day, same time and probably best in the morning before breakfast. Also proably best to choose a day where you're less likely to forget or not have time to weigh-in.

I'm changing my weigh-in day to Saturday am because I think it will best reflect my weekly progress without being blighted by weekend excesses. :drinker:

And as Spaingirl said, sure you can peek mid-week, but doen't let it worry you. The Scales are the work of the devil and if you con't believe me read my post :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/321412-are-scales-the-work-of-the-devil
  • letsmarchlikeaclock
    Options
    When you weigh yourself midweek, do you find it gives you the result from what you're expected to lose in a week?

I can't help it, sometimes I weight myself midweek. My weigh in day is Monday and on Monday I was on 153.4 and now Wednesday it says 150. I have done this a couple of times and I've noticed that when I weigh myself on Monday again the midweek weigh in was right. I dunno.

What has been your experience?