Can water make you sick???

Options
YO!

I have a quick question.

Today was my first day drinking water properly. 1.5 L so far! GO ME! Pretty big accomplishment considering I used to only drink one cup of water a day :blushing: Hopefully I can keep it up.

I'm just wondering does anyone else get really cold, shaky and kind of skin crawly when they drink water? And does anyone else find that it passes through the system like lightning (like minutes after drinking I'm in the bathroom! haha!)

I have been sick with a weird flu-type, dizzy head thing but these are very new symptoms! I'm seeing my doctor on the 7th but in the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone experiences those symptoms when drinking water?

:drinker:

Maybe I should just start out the whole actually drinking water thing more slowly. 1L tomorrow? HAHAHAHAHA.

Replies

• nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    YO!

I have a quick question.

Today was my first day drinking water properly. 1.5 L so far! GO ME! Pretty big accomplishment considering I used to only drink one cup of water a day :blushing: Hopefully I can keep it up.

I'm just wondering does anyone else get really cold, shaky and kind of skin crawly when they drink water? And does anyone else find that it passes through the system like lightning (like minutes after drinking I'm in the bathroom! haha!)

I have been sick with a weird flu-type, dizzy head thing but these are very new symptoms! I'm seeing my doctor on the 7th but in the meantime I'm curious to know if anyone experiences those symptoms when drinking water?

:drinker:

Maybe I should just start out the whole actually drinking water thing more slowly. 1L tomorrow? HAHAHAHAHA.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I can defiantely tell you that it seems common for water to go through people like lightning. ( I does me). I also makes me cold if I drink very cold water. I would leave it out and get to room temperature and see if that helps. As for as the rest? You should ask your doctor about it.
  • nickybr38
    Options
    I can defiantely tell you that it seems common for water to go through people like lightning. ( I does me). I also makes me cold if I drink very cold water. I would leave it out and get to room temperature and see if that helps. As for as the rest? You should ask your doctor about it.

It was room temperature. :) I don't like cold anything.

Water! Faster than a speeding bullet!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Here is another question for everyone when I drink a lot of water such as two glasses in a row I get diareha(sp) I have to run and run fast (atleast i burn calories while running to the bathroom :laugh: ) I thought this was weird but since the question is out there just thought i would ask. :blushing:
  • TexasGolfPro
    TexasGolfPro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From what you describe, your body has been in a perpetual state of dehydration, and all of a sudden, you add WAY more fluid that it's used to. Of course it's gonna react funny. It's good you're going to the doctor, though, just to be sure. You might try drinking less, then adding a cup a week until you're at the recommended amount. I've read that the 8-cup recommendation is for fluid, not just water. I don't count diet sodas, etc, but I do count tea and coffee in moderation.

Hope that helps!
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    There actually is a thing called 'water intoxication' and it can occur when someone drinks an excessive amount of water in a short period of time. There's no set-in-concrete data that defines 'excessive' but the general consensus is 1/2 a gallon or more in a 2 hour period. The symptoms are very much like the symptoms of alcohol intoxication. Why it affects some people and not others, I have no idea. I just know that when I worked in the mental health field/substance abuse field, I had more than one client try to flush their medications out (for reasons ranging from the voices told them to to just because they didn't like the side effects) and some others who had this goofy idea that they could flush their illegal drug(s) of choice out of their system in time to pass a UA (nope, doesn't work).
  • mimielle
    mimielle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I started to drink lots of water, I was going to the bathroom every 30 min to 1 hour...my work colleagues thought I was crazy. But once your body gets used to having lots of water, it gets better. On the plus side, I get to walk around every hour instead of being stuck all day at my desk.

about feeling sick, no I don't think i've ever felt that way. sometimes I do feel a chill if the water is really cold.
  • guntherma
    guntherma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have gotten water logged - Just feel ill to my stomach from being over full - other than that the water intoxification is the only other thing I have heard of.
  • nickybr38
    Options
    From what you describe, your body has been in a perpetual state of dehydration, and all of a sudden, you add WAY more fluid that it's used to. Of course it's gonna react funny. It's good you're going to the doctor, though, just to be sure. You might try drinking less, then adding a cup a week until you're at the recommended amount. I've read that the 8-cup recommendation is for fluid, not just water. I don't count diet sodas, etc, but I do count tea and coffee in moderation.

Hope that helps!

:ohwell: Wow. Honestly I think I am dehydrated. Haha. I just didn't pay much attention.

Frithir: WHAT??? I didn't know that! But this definitely wasn't in a short period of time. It was roughly 1.5L in the space of six hours. But I will definitely be more careful. Weird stuff!!!