foods I miss (v British!)

Options
I believe in balance but there are some foods I've avoided since starting MFP. As a result I have been craving a fry-up, fish and chips and a cream tea (how British is that?) (I also miss a takeaway curry but I can cook low-fat Indian food so I'm ok there)

Any healthier substitutes? Especially for clotted cream Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Replies

• lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    i had fish and chips last night :smile:

But it was a lightly dusted lemon sole, with slimming world chips... around 400 cals altogether.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fry Up:

Poached Egg
    Turkey Bacon
    Grilled Tomato's
    Low Salt Baked Beans

There's no substitue for a good dollop of HP Sauce on it though :smile:
  • mike737
    mike737 Posts: 68
    Options
    I basically could remove these from my diet.

I'll have a fry up and then hit the gym later that nyt to balance out my cals.
  • KaySera
    KaySera Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had a "FRY UP" the other night and it only came to 784 calories! (I usually have about 250 cals for breakfast and another 250 for lunch, so this fry up was really appreciated!) It included tinned tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, 2 rashers bacon, 1 fried egg, slice wholemeal bread, and 240g of WW oven cooked (home made) chips

I don't have a sweet tooth (rarely eat chocolate) and never eat in-between meals, but my biggest downfall is peanuts - butter, salted, raw - any which way!

How about sharing your recipe for a low fat curry?!!! Luv 'em!
  • redtalent
    redtalent Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was craving fish and chips as well so I had a kids portion the other day. Later that night I was sick as a dog from all the grease and fat! Good-bye fish and chips craving! lol
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Baked fish and chips, or a child's portion from the chippy - don't eat all the batter but eat all the fish!

I can't think of anything that would replace the clotted cream. Sure, I could recommend Greek yoghurt or half fat creme fraiche, but nothing is going to taste as sleek and creamy. Keep that one for when you've worked your butt off at the gym or park!

Bacon medallions or a small gammon steak dry fried, tomatoes and mushrooms done in the same pan, potato cake and a poached egg to top it off!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    A cream tea isn't too bad, in calorie terms. It's obviously not a daily food choice, but you should be ok for a one off treat now and again.

You know what I find a much nicer option than chippy chips or frozen? Try either cutting new potatoes into wedges, or slicing old potatoes into chip shapes, toss them in a bit of oil and then bake in the oven till crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Makes *gorgeous* chips, and lower cal than chip shop.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Fish and chips - oh how I missed them!!! I went on a day trip to the beach though and had some with mushy peas! I did a lot of research on the net and apparently they're not as calorifically high as other take-aways and average (small size) in at around 600 cals. I enjoyed them so much but that will be it until the next time as a treat! : )

Scones and cream. Have one! Factor it in to your cals. Cream tea - bleurgh!!! ; ) Though you can get creamer cartons at 17 cals a pop which might do the trick?

Indian, I LOVE my Indian food but make choices such as just a hot prawn curry (vindaloo - I love my chilli) and some bread such as a roti or two! Also daal, tandoori....yum I could eat that now!!!

I really missed pasta, proper bread (lived on yucky Hovis Nimble bread for months). Mince/chilli con carne my ultimate comfort food - just knew I wouldn't be able to control myself! I've learnt through this that I don't miss meat as much as I thought, I'll quite happily buy Quorn sausages instead of pork ones now. I've learnt I can eat all the things listed in moderation and I have developed an addiction to philadelphia cheese and mushrooms are so low cal that I eat punnets of them a week! : ) xxx

Oh and pasta and proper bread feature regularly in my diet now and the Hovis Nimble is long behind me! x
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina and I only visited England twice, but I still miss Mr. Kipling cakes. I don't even know if they are still around, but when I was there I ate Way to many of them. I think they are better than our US snack cakes.
  • dids01
    dids01 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like quorn sausages too, but seeing as my OH is a farmer he would go ape if he saw them in the fridge lol.
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a "FRY UP" the other night and it only came to 784 calories! (I usually have about 250 cals for breakfast and another 250 for lunch, so this fry up was really appreciated!) It included tinned tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms, 2 rashers bacon, 1 fried egg, slice wholemeal bread, and 240g of WW oven cooked (home made) chips

I don't have a sweet tooth (rarely eat chocolate) and never eat in-between meals, but my biggest downfall is peanuts - butter, salted, raw - any which way!

How about sharing your recipe for a low fat curry?!!! Luv 'em!

Low fat curries are possible! It's just about measuring everything. So I'll use a tiny bit of oil to fry the onions and if they start to stick I'll just add a dash of water - no effect on taste. When my mum taught me to cook it was all by sight rather than exact measurements and I love cooking like that (it feels so much more creative) but it's a disaster as far as portion control goes. I use the recipes facility on MFP to work out the calories per portion and that way I stick to correctly sized portions. I suppose I don't use spice pastes but if you do, some of them must show calories per tablespoon etc Use lean meats and try fish, more pulses and veg. Use yoghurt instead of cream (for info my mum's kormas always used yogurt - I never order it out as it doesn't taste how I think it should!) and if you want to use ghee just put a tiny tiny amount in with your oil. I have an out of print cook book too but there are lots around so maybe invest in one of those. And of course there's the internet. I tried this recently and it was lovely. It's an American recipe so didn't know what Piedmontese beef was so just asked my butcher for leanest stewing beef he had!

http://beaulotus.blogspot.com/2010/04/low-fat-beef-curry-with-jeera-rice.html

(Don't advocate ready meals but if you're desperate try M &S/Waitrose/Sainsburys curries - some are ok I'm sure every now and then and have calories counted for you!)

Feel free to add me if you want to see my food diary!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I like quorn sausages too, but seeing as my OH is a farmer he would go ape if he saw them in the fridge lol.

LOL! : )
  • ayshamc
    Options
    I live in North Carolina and I only visited England twice, but I still miss Mr. Kipling cakes. I don't even know if they are still around, but when I was there I ate Way to many of them. I think they are better than our US snack cakes.

Ohh yes, we still have them - Mr Kiplings French Fancies! Yuuuuum!!! :smile:
  • morenita71
    Options

Yes they are and I occasionally buy the Almond slices - they helpfully have the calories - maybe around 100-150? So nice with a cup of tea in the afternoon!
  • dids01
    Options

Ohh yes, we still have them - Mr Kiplings French Fancies! Yuuuuum!!! :smile:

The lemon ones hmmmm
  • ayshamc
    Options

I saw the Irish Richmond Sausages the other day, but they make them SKINLESS! At only 60 Calories a sausage I acually thought this was quite good!

I don't usually buy Sausages but being Aussie and loving BBQ's, I do crave them every now and then :) Think I will have to give them a try :smile:
  • dids01
    Options
    My sister and I were discussing comfort food the other day and what we hadn't had in a long time so here goes theres quite a few

Liver and onions in thick gravy with mashed potatoes
    stew and Dumplings
    Meat and potato pie with mushy peas and hendersons relish ( a yorkshire thing much better than worcestershire sauce)
    chips fried egg and beans
    corned beef hash
    shepherds pie
    heinz cream of tomato soup with cheese sandwiches

As you can see all very stodgy lol
  • morenita71
    Options
    My sister and I were discussing comfort food the other day and what we hadn't had in a long time so here goes theres quite a few

stew and Dumplings
    Meat and potato pie with mushy peas and hendersons relish ( a yorkshire thing much better than worcestershire sauce)
    corned beef hash
    shepherds pie

Oh god I forgot - I started MFP in spring. I love a pie - steak and ale, chicken and mushroom, fish, shepherds OMG - will try not to think about that until the time comes...flaky pastry, short crust, puff, mashed potato...I will have to experiment. Roll on Autumn!

BTW: Cook Yourself Thin cookbooks are great for coming up with lower fat alternatives to classics. Their lasagne was amazing!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

stew and Dumplings
    corned beef hash
    shepherds pie

Oh god I forgot - I started MFP in spring. I love a pie - steak and ale, chicken and mushroom, fish, shepherds OMG - will try not to think about that until the time comes...flaky pastry, short crust, puff, mashed potato...I will have to experiment. Roll on Autumn!

BTW: Cook Yourself Thin cookbooks are great for coming up with lower fat alternatives to classics. Their lasagne was amazing!

You can make 'cottage pie' quite low in calories, dry fry lean mince and then for the topping do 1/3 potato, 1/3 carrots and 1/3 swede - I've done it with turkey mince and MrWW suggested calling it Norfolk Pie, lol! Tis lovely with a load of veg and gravy on the side!
  • dids01
    Options
    I'm hungry now after looking at all these posts