ran my first mile need help

Options
OK today i started work on my treamill and I ran my first mile. I ran my mile in 20.32 minutes i know that is not good but i felt like i was gonna die, downed two cups water while doing it. I set the pace between 5.2 then when i got tired i would lower it to 4.2 for 1 minute then back up, So the big question is I did not see this on my exercise cxhart and really dont know how to figure it out, i weigh 214 and i am 5' 4 if anyone knows how to convert this i could sure use a helping hand,

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are asking.... If you ran your mile in 20:32 then that was your pace. So just find the 20:32 time and log it or just put in running and throw in the calories you burned.
  • Soccerstar19
    Options
    I would log it as 4.5 for how ever long you walked/ran.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you go to self.com, there is an excercise calculator that you can use to determine the calories burned for your weight. Then you can enter it into your excercise on MFP & it will stay in the diary so you can use it again. Good luck:)
  • trisha5k
    trisha5k Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sorry I would like to know How do I figure out how many calories i would burn running on a treadmill?
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First of all...WAY TO GO!! That's a great accomplishment and you should be proud. As for logging, did the treadmill give you your average for the time you were on it? In times like that I usully guess the average was somewhere in between, say 4.5 mph and then put that in with the time. It won't be 100% accurate so if you eat your exercise calories I wouldn't eat all of them just in case.
  • Julia6633
    Julia6633 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog for 20 minutes

Have you heard about the couch to 5k program? Its an excellent way to start and build your endurance.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A 20min mile = 3mph walk for 20mins
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'd log it as running 4.5 as an average. definately look into the C25K program it will help you build up endurance without killing yourself.. there are lots of threads on here about it.
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Sorry I would like to know How do I figure out how many calories i would burn running on a treadmill?

Do you log your calories here on MFP because that's what we're assuming. You can search for exercise just like you search for foods. Or you can google calorie burn or pace calculator and see what those tools give you.
  • Tigerlily47
    Options
    There is a great calorie calculator on www.ask.com. If you go there it will help you. There is another calculator as well which is http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitnesstools/l/blcalorieburn.htm. Actually I think this is the one I was referring to in the first place. The other site is http://www.internetfitness.com/calculators/calburncalc.htm. Good luck and don't be discouraged! Anything you are doing is more than you were doing before. Being aware of what you are doing is key!! :flowerforyou:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    High five for knowing simple math Julia!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    great job!!!! and you shouldn't feel bad about the time...the important thing is that you have started!! you should be very proud of yourself! Keep up the good work!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on running you first mile, I know what a huge deal it is!

I'd also log it as MFP's "Walking 3.0mph, walking dog" for 20 minutes as that is your average speed - though one is walking and the other is running, the calorie burn will be about the same.

Here are my beginner's running tips, hope they help.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • trisha5k
    trisha5k Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all got it...
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    High five for knowing simple math Julia!

Ditto.