Egg Fanatic

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    For those worried about cholesterol.

Dietary cholesterol has no effect on your blood serum cholesterol.

Eat as many whole eggs as your daily calorie intake and macros allow pertaining to your goals.

Joe, that's not really true. What you eat does affect your serum cholesterol, there's a reason why you are supposed to fast before having your cholesterol levels checked. It would probably be more accurate to say that cholesterol levels are not always a good indicator of cardiovascular health or disease.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Forget the processed stuff just eat eggs.

Egg beaters...
    http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/08/19/egg-beaters-and-cholesterol-confusion/
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I dont understand when someone (not attacking OP, but I see this all the time with good foods) is all upset eating 70 calorie eggs yet will scarf down 100 calorie pack cookies with absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever and feel they're making good choices. Low calorie is not always better. Why not eat high calorie, more nutrionally dense food and you'll find you eat less cause you're being properly fueled.

:::sigh:::
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    2 Whole eggs have 422 mg Cholesterol. My goals says you should only have 300 mg in a whole day.
    That's why I switched to whites. It's not just about calories.

Unless you have a cholesterol problem. Whole eggs are actually shown to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. Again I eat 6 whole a day. And my blood work is perfect!

Do you have cholesterol checked regularly.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with just regular old eggs? They're really good for you. Excellent protein and healthy fats, lots of vitamins.

Stop obsessing over calories and concentrate on eating real food.

This
  • msmandyjo
    Options
    70 calories / egg is too much? Two eggs is 140 calories and has so much good vitamins and protein. You really couldn't ask for more "bang for your buck." I don't understand this post.

and this
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I'm with the eat real food brigade. I usually have one whole egg and two whites if I don't have many calories to spare.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    "Cholesterol and triglyceride levels were unrelated to quality, quantity, or proportions of fat, carbohydrate, or protein consumed in the 24-hr recall period. These findings suggest that serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels among Americans are more dependent on the degree of adiposity than on the frequency of fat, sugar, starch or alcohol."

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/998550
    - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/989556

"Significant correlations of serum cholesterol with dietary components were not observed"

- http://www.ajcn.org/content/16/2/238.long

"The trial compared the effects of a 39% fat control diet (18% saturated fat, 5% polyunsaturated fat, 16% monounsaturated fat, 446 mg dietary cholesterol per day) with a 38% fat treatment diet (9% saturated fat, 15% polyunsaturated fat, 14% monounsaturated fat, 166 mg dietary cholesterol per day) on serum cholesterol levels and the incidence of myocardial infarctions, sudden deaths, and all-cause mortality. The mean duration of time on the diets was 384 days, with 1568 subjects consuming the diet for over 2 years. The mean serum cholesterol level in the pre-admission period was 207 mg/dl, falling to 175 mg/dl in the treatment group and 203 mg/dl in the control group. For the entire study population, no differences between the treatment and control groups were observed for cardiovascular events, cardiovascular deaths, or total mortality."

- http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/9/1/129

This study found that even though the untreated group ate double the Saturated Fat and over 2.5 times the dietary cholesterol, mean serum cholesterol levels relatively stayed the same. The treated group did however, experience a drop when SFA was replaced with mainly PUFA's. The point being, Saturated Fat did not account for an increase in serum cholesterol.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    What's wrong with just regular old eggs? They're really good for you. Excellent protein and healthy fats, lots of vitamins.

Stop obsessing over calories and concentrate on eating real food.

I agree with this reply. Just eat them, they're excellent for you. You also need to read this if you haven't already.....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing
    It's one of the best posts I've read.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Mmm i love my eggs. I eat 2 whole eggs and add another but just the white. I need all the protein I can get!!!
  • msmandyjo
    Options
    Yeah, I dont understand when someone (not attacking OP, but I see this all the time with good foods) is all upset eating 70 calorie eggs yet will scarf down 100 calorie pack cookies with absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever and feel they're making good choices. Low calorie is not always better. Why not eat high calorie, more nutrionally dense food and you'll find you eat less cause you're being properly fueled.

:::sigh:::

and this
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    2 Whole eggs have 422 mg Cholesterol. My goals says you should only have 300 mg in a whole day.

Unless you have a cholesterol problem. Whole eggs are actually shown to lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol. Again I eat 6 whole a day. And my blood work is perfect!

Do you have cholesterol checked regularly.

I try to have blood work done every three months. I eat quite a bit of food and over 300g of protein daily. I eat about 4000 cals a day so its not really high percentage considering amount of food intake.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    The other cals come from roughly 450 g of carbs and 90 g of fat.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

my concern, too. the fat and calories don't bother me..the cholesterol does.
    The human body MAKES cholesterol. If you eat more cholesterol, the body just makes less to compensate. If you eat less cholesterol, the body just makes more. So eating cholesterol does not have any effect on your overall blood cholesterol level.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    For those worried about cholesterol.

Dietary cholesterol has no effect on your blood serum cholesterol.

Eat as many whole eggs as your daily calorie intake and macros allow pertaining to your goals.

Joe, that's not really true. What you eat does affect your serum cholesterol, there's a reason why you are supposed to fast before having your cholesterol levels checked. It would probably be more accurate to say that cholesterol levels are not always a good indicator of cardiovascular health or disease.

Sort of but not quite. While yes, eating a large amount of cholesterol can change your cholesterol level in the very short her, your body adjusts the amount of cholesterol it makes based on what you eat, and it's needs. You fast before having your levels checked to insure that it's an accurate reading, that it's not overly high or low because of something you may have eaten in the past few hours. But overall, it has no bearing, as eating a high level of cholesterol just causes your body to slow cholesterol production to even it out.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Eggs along with their cholesterol/fat content are another example of how mainstream nutritional recommendations lag behind current research findings.

It's interesting how some people are quick to vilify high protein consumption by citing mainstream nutritional guidelines, but completely ignore those same standards when it comes to egg consumption.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    "Cholesterol and triglyceride levels were unrelated to quality, quantity, or proportions of fat, carbohydrate, or protein consumed in the 24-hr recall period. These findings suggest that serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels among Americans are more dependent on the degree of adiposity than on the frequency of fat, sugar, starch or alcohol."

- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/998550
    - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/989556

1st study:
    The present findings do not exclude a relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol concentration.Connor et al. (51) and Connor and Lin (52) have demonstrated that serum cholesterol levels are proportional to dietary intake within the range of 400 mg of dietary cholesterol
    daily (51, 52).
    Basically what this study shows is that dietary Cholesterol IS affected by daily consumption upto 400mg, which is huge when you are running levels without fasting as done in the study. Had they run the study with one group fasting and the other eating eggs for breakfast, things would have been completely different. Also, if you put one group on a long term low cholesterol diet and the other on a high cholestrol diet, things would be different. The fact that they tracked the diets via a survey and not direct dietary intervention (prepared meals) makes this study pretty useless. People were not instructed to measure portions or anything and were just asked "what did you eat day X". Very flawed.

"Significant correlations of serum cholesterol with dietary components were not observed"

- http://www.ajcn.org/content/16/2/238.long

"The trial compared the effects of a 39% fat control diet (18% saturated fat, 5% polyunsaturated fat, 16% monounsaturated fat, 446 mg dietary cholesterol per day) with a 38% fat treatment diet (9% saturated fat, 15% polyunsaturated fat, 14% monounsaturated fat, 166 mg dietary cholesterol per day) on serum cholesterol levels and the incidence of myocardial infarctions, sudden deaths, and all-cause mortality. The mean duration of time on the diets was 384 days, with 1568 subjects consuming the diet for over 2 years. The mean serum cholesterol level in the pre-admission period was 207 mg/dl, falling to 175 mg/dl in the treatment group and 203 mg/dl in the control group. For the entire study population, no differences between the treatment and control groups were observed for cardiovascular events, cardiovascular deaths, or total mortality."

- http://atvb.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/9/1/129

This study found that even though the untreated group ate double the Saturated Fat and over 2.5 times the dietary cholesterol, mean serum cholesterol levels relatively stayed the same. The treated group did however, experience a drop when SFA was replaced with mainly PUFA's. The point being, Saturated Fat did not account for an increase in serum cholesterol.
    [/quote]

No offense Joe, you and I think alike on a lot of things but this (Clinical Chemistry) is an area of expertise for me.

The above ahajournails study proves nothing. People ate a diet before the first cholesterol, then ate about the same diet and surprisingly had no significant change in cholesterol levels. What else did they expect.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    No offense Joe, you and I think alike on a lot of things but this (Clinical Chemistry) is an area of expertise for me.

The above ahajournails study proves nothing. People ate a diet before the first cholesterol, then ate about the same diet and surprisingly had no significant change in cholesterol levels. What else did they expect.

Bro their serum levels had NO change or relatively stayed the same. I'm not doubting your knowledge on the subject, but i'm just saying. What about the studies by the NIH above? Also the ajcn study about the correlations between the two were not observed?
  • liftingbro
    Options

Bro their serum levels had NO change or relatively stayed the same. I'm not doubting your knowledge on the subject, but i'm just saying. What about the studies by the NIH above? Also the acjn study about the correlations between the two were not observed?

Again, Joe, fasting cholestol levels will be different from fed cholesterol levels. I see it every day when someone didn't fast and had their blood work run. Neither study evaluates a change in diet for the same individual, so they are no valid for this arguement. It's common knowledge that genetics plays a role in how people metabolize lipids. So simply, "look dietary intake of cholesterol levels doesm't matter because this person eating a higher cholesterol diet does not have a high cholesterol and this person who does not eat that much cholesterol has a higher one", does not mean anything in the arguement. In order to make these studies valid they needed to change the diets of the individuals and observe the changes or lack of change.

There are people who can eat anything they want and they will have a normal cholesterol and there will be others who will have a high cholesterol no matter what they eat or what medications they are on. Because of this variation in lipid metabolism, it is imparative to have compared differing diet's affects on cholesterol levels on an individaul basis.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    There are people who can eat anything they want and they will have a normal cholesterol and there will be others who will have a high cholesterol no matter what they eat or what medications they are on. Because of this variation in lipid metabolism, it is imparative to have compared differing diet's affects on cholesterol levels on an individaul basis.

Not trying to argue with ya man but think about this paragraph you wrote. People that can eat anything they want and have normal cholesterol, and then others who will have high cholesterol no matter what they eat. Those with the high cholesterol levels most likely (not always) are hereditary or another cause, but it's MOST LIKELY not from eating a certain type of food bro. I mean I have RARELY if at all have EVER heard of someone getting CVD or CHD from having too high of cholesterol FROM the food they ate.