Attitude Changes

I feel like I need to be in the right frame of mind to lose weight and make positive lifestyle changes.

I think a big change came for me when suddenly I realized how much being overweight/obese has shaped my life. It has really held me back. I think I deserve more than I have allowed myself to have and I am ready to begin doing the work I need to do to get there.

Do you remember having a shift in your frame of mind when you started this journey? How is it different than on your past attempts to lose weight?

I am asking because I am worried that my motivation is slipping and I want to find the right mental space again. I am hoping that hearing other people's thoughts will help me get back to where I need to be and maybe help other people do the same.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• I feel like I need to be in the right frame of mind to lose weight and make positive lifestyle changes.

I think a big change came for me when suddenly I realized how much being overweight/obese has shaped my life. It has really held me back. I think I deserve more than I have allowed myself to have and I am ready to begin doing the work I need to do to get there.

Do you remember having a shift in your frame of mind when you started this journey? How is it different than on your past attempts to lose weight?

I am asking because I am worried that my motivation is slipping and I want to find the right mental space again. I am hoping that hearing other people's thoughts will help me get back to where I need to be and maybe help other people do the same.

:flowerforyou:
  • wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    I find this subject very interesting. I believe it is the key to all weight loss success ... mental focus and commitment is necessary and paramount to any long term change.

I don't know if any of this is similar for others or not, but I just figure out that THIS is how it works for me.

My ... me ... mine and I am divided into 2 *things* (for lack of a better word)
    One I call *little me* and the other I call * I *

little me is ... scared of change, is lazy, is lonely, hurt, devious, whinny, a constant victim, poor little me, poor little me, is negative, looks for excuses and reasons, can sabotage efforts, is self-destructive, is scattered and unorganized, escapes in consuming food, alcohol or TV and is easily lead astray or distracted because it's "easier".

I ... knows ME, knows how strong I am, knows what I am capable of achieving, wants a glorious future, is positive, wants successes and freedom, Challenges me to reach higher, rewards my efforts, loves me, wants happiness in whatever form it comes in and is very proud of what I have a achieved and who I am ...

When I separate myself like this, I can see clearly which *thing* is acting in my best interest ... and which *thing* is acting like a spoilt child who wants it's own way ...

Am I nuts or has anyone else experienced this?
  • wannaBme
    bump
  • I find this subject very interesting. I believe it is the key to all weight loss success ... mental focus and commitment is necessary and paramount to any long term change.

I don't know if any of this is similar for others or not, but I just figure out that THIS is how it works for me.

My ... me ... mine and I am divided into 2 *things* (for lack of a better word)
    One I call *little me* and the other I call * I *

little me is ... scared of change, is lazy, is lonely, hurt, devious, whinny, a constant victim, poor little me, poor little me, is negative, looks for excuses and reasons, can sabotage efforts, is self-destructive, is scattered and unorganized, escapes in consuming food, alcohol or TV and is easily lead astray or distracted because it's "easier".

I ... knows ME, knows how strong I am, knows what I am capable of achieving, wants a glorious future, is positive, wants successes and freedom, Challenges me to reach higher, rewards my efforts, loves me, wants happiness in whatever form it comes in and is very proud of what I have a achieved and who I am ...

When I separate myself like this, I can see clearly which *thing* is acting in my best interest ... and which *thing* is acting like a spoilt child who wants it's own way ...

Am I nuts or has anyone else experienced this?

Wow. That's exactly how I feel only... I've never seperated the two "me's" before. This is wonderful.

I don't mean to sound overly dramatic, but this post just might change my life. I can guarentee i'll be thinking about this post the next time I think "I don't want to work out. I"m tired, it's been a hard day, my favorite show is on, whatever" Or "screw this. I jsut want a cookie! Is it so wrong to have a couple cookies? Why can't i just enjoy my life"

Those are the biggest excuses "little me" comes up with.

Anyway, this kinda turned into me thinking my own thought through typing but I just wanted you to know that I have a feeling what you just said is going to have a profound impact on my life in alot of things, not just weight loss.

So thank you!! :drinker:

- Vanessa
  • wannaBme
    Wow I am so glad that you can relate to this ...

I wasn't sure how it was going to be received.
    Sometimes I think too much about what other people might think.

I wish you all the best in your journey,
    Hang in there owensmommy ...