No carb/ low carb foods

Options
I'm looking for any and all no/low carb food suggestions! I'm coming up blank.

Replies

• trinityleigh
    Options
    I'm looking for any and all no/low carb food suggestions! I'm coming up blank.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey! I did a ketogenic diet for almost a year, so I am quite familiar with those :smile: I ate a lot of:

fish
    chicken
    eggs
    cheese
    almonds
    flax
    natural peanut butter
    fibrous veggies (broc, cauli, romaine, peppers, some squashes, spinach)
    lean steaks
    avocado (all the carbs are fiber)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to avoid carbs:noway: ? You need carbs, just not from donuts and crap like that. You should never try to cut any one portion of a truly healthy diet out, this will fail you in the end.

Go for nice fresh fruits and veggies and not junk food and you will be fine. :happy:

If you are diabetic you want to talk to your doctor or nutritionist about a proper diet but if not, you need carbs :wink:
  • Jillian
    Jillian Posts: 88
    Options
    When I watch my carbs I substitue pastas and breads with salad. Like tonight my husband made spaghetti, so instead of the noodle, I had the meat sauce on salad. It was great, and it looked like alot of food, which made me feel better about dieting. Good luck!
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    No worries! I'm not trying to cut carbs out all together. I'm just over my carb count today and I'm looking for something to munch on.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Eat a well balanced diet that includes foods from all the food groups. Nothing beats a well balanced diet to keep the cravings at bay. :wink:

:flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    In that case go for fruits and veggies, they will fill you and they actually take more calories to digest than they are worth so it's a bonus!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    No worries! I'm not trying to cut carbs out all together. I'm just over my carb count today and I'm looking for something to munch on.

aahhhh Smart Girl !
    Good for you.
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Apples do sound pretty good!

Thank you all!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    When I watch my carbs I substitue pastas and breads with salad. Like tonight my husband made spaghetti, so instead of the noodle, I had the meat sauce on salad. It was great, and it looked like alot of food, which made me feel better about dieting. Good luck!

Buy some french sytle green beans, and drain really, really well, and then put your sauce over....it really is good.
    Sorry, but sauce on lettuce just sounds gross....:flowerforyou:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It's great. It cooks up into these little spaghetti noodle like strands, and you get spaghetti without the carbs, lots of fiber and vitamins, and it's a lot fewer calories..which you can always use huh?
    Cowboy
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    pork rinds for snack????
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    I've had spaghetti made with Spaghetti Squash. It is pretty good!

I thought about buying pork rinds when I go to the store. . .if I remember right those aren't really that bad for you?!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    Pork Rinds ?
    huummmm aren't those things fried ?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I thought about buying pork rinds when I go to the store. . .if I remember right those aren't really that bad for you?!

Well...they're tricky. I'm not anti-fat, of course, because a keto diet relies largely on fat. So that's not the problem. The issue lies in the type of protein contained in pork rinds, which are made from skin. It's not really 'bioavailable'...a large percentage of the protein can't be used by the body. But it's not like fiber in that it cleans out your system. It would be like eating potato chips to meet your carb requirements, but with protein that's actually worse since protein is more important for muscle recovery than carbohydrates are. If you logged that into your calorie count, it would count the protein, so you wouldn't be able to fill that space with nutritive protein sources like eggs and cheese, know what I mean? :)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options
    I love Spaghetti Squash I have 2 sitting in the kitchen waiting for me to bake. They are good stuff !
  • Loretta_Jo
    Options

Well...they're tricky. I'm not anti-fat, of course, because a keto diet relies largely on fat. So that's not the problem. The issue lies in the type of protein contained in pork rinds, which are made from skin. It's not really 'bioavailable'...a large percentage of the protein can't be used by the body. But it's not like fiber in that it cleans out your system. It would be like eating potato chips to meet your carb requirements, but with protein that's actually worse since protein is more important for muscle recovery than carbohydrates are. If you logged that into your calorie count, it would count the protein, so you wouldn't be able to fill that space with nutritive protein sources like eggs and cheese, know what I mean? :)

Thank you songbyrdsweet :flowerforyou:
  • trinityleigh
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense Songbyrdsweet! Thanks