Meat ages you?

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind all one needs to get a book published is a topic people will find interesting, some skill at writing, and someone willing to fund it. Just because it's in a book doesn't mean it's accurate.

As far as personal experience, I eat red meat at least 2-3 times a week. I am constantly told that I look 8-10 years younger than I am, and I still feel young and healthy and have plenty of energy (well, except for this baby bump at the moment, lol).
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I have no dog in this fight and don't really care what anyone else chooses to eat anyway. But, think about it, oxygen ages you. The resulting effects of burning oxygen create oxidants in your body (antioxidants were all the rage a few years ago). My point is that if you want to avoid red meat, cool, do it. But the "aging" effect of red meat is not a factor I'd worry too much about. :smile:

This is interesting, so all that deep breathing my yoga instructor has been telling me to do is actually aging me? :grumble:

Um, yep. Even existing in time ages you. There is only one way to stop aging. That would be to die. Otherwise, we are always aging, every day of our life. Now, the question would be, what causes PREMATURE aging. Overexposure to the sun does. Smoking does. Excessive alcohol use can. Does red meat? Good question.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    They look at causality, try to work out the statistics and give a warning that things *might* give you cancers. Some things we are more sure of than others. Others, they are pretty much just a guess. And so that people don't get sued, they issue warnings.

For most things, it's a statistics game. And, they often don't know for sure.

Perhaps, just in the way they don't KNOW that red meat is either.

And, you'd be pretty pressed to not be in contact with carcinogens in your every day life. That was the point.

So, no need to be a jerk.

I know I'm in contact with carcinogens everywhere I go, but I'm not going to knowingly ingest them into my body when I can do otherwise! But if you enjoy your meat filled with antibiotics, growth hormones, heavy metals, dioxins, nitrates, and various other chemicals, then that's your prerogative. I just don't understand why one would do so when a cut of slightly more expensive meat raised properly cuts out half those risks.

Umm, this. I don't understand why some like to use the reasoning that there are various pollutants around us every day, so why should they worry about consuming them. Precisely because we are exposed to them all the time, and we can't control that. I will control those that I can in order to minimize my exposure where I can. Spend a little more to buy meat that doesn't have all that crap in it. Too expensive? Cut your portions a little - pay for quality, not quantity.

The problem is that the things we are so sold on being carcinogens, in the general population, most of them have not been proven to be carcinogens. We hear possible and we think absolute. You would, in fact, have to cut out almost everything we mostly eat, unless completely organic, to cut down on this. You would also have to live in the middle of nowhere, keep away all technology, take no medications, etc to get rid of the risk. If it's that important to you, how far are you willing to go? And why is one way of exposure more acceptable to you than another.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, so I have no dog in this fight and don't really care what anyone else chooses to eat anyway. But, think about it, oxygen ages you. The resulting effects of burning oxygen create oxidants in your body (antioxidants were all the rage a few years ago). My point is that if you want to avoid red meat, cool, do it. But the "aging" effect of red meat is not a factor I'd worry too much about. :smile:

This is interesting, so all that deep breathing my yoga instructor has been telling me to do is actually aging me? :grumble:

Yes, exactly - she's just trying to age all of you so she can look younger. Oxygen is a powerful element. But I think I read somewhere that there are some side effects to giving it up? :tongue:
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    They look at causality, try to work out the statistics and give a warning that things *might* give you cancers. Some things we are more sure of than others. Others, they are pretty much just a guess. And so that people don't get sued, they issue warnings.

And, you'd be pretty pressed to not be in contact with carcinogens in your every day life. That was the point.

I know I'm in contact with carcinogens everywhere I go, but I'm not going to knowingly ingest them into my body when I can do otherwise! But if you enjoy your meat filled with antibiotics, growth hormones, heavy metals, dioxins, nitrates, and various other chemicals, then that's your prerogative. I just don't understand why one would do so when a cut of slightly more expensive meat raised properly cuts out half those risks.

Umm, this. I don't understand why some like to use the reasoning that there are various pollutants around us every day, so why should they worry about consuming them. Precisely because we are exposed to them all the time, and we can't control that. I will control those that I can in order to minimize my exposure where I can. Spend a little more to buy meat that doesn't have all that crap in it. Too expensive? Cut your portions a little - pay for quality, not quantity.

The problem is that the things we are so sold on being carcinogens, in the general population, most of them have not been proven to be carcinogens. We hear possible and we think absolute. You would, in fact, have to cut out almost everything we mostly eat, unless completely organic, to cut down on this. You would also have to live in the middle of nowhere, keep away all technology, take no medications, etc to get rid of the risk. If it's that important to you, how far are you willing to go? And why is one way of exposure more acceptable to you than another.

I see you are a bio major, which is great. I hope you do very well. I studied it too, many moons ago, and am now a clinical nutritional counselor and did my interning in a Cancer treatment facility. My question to you is, what kind of crappy school are you going to that is teaching you that dioxins, nitrates, heavy metals, etc. are NOT proven to be carcinogens??
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    I don't know if it ages you, but I feel better and lose more weight if I eat less meat and more plant protein, like rice/beans, barley/lentils, etc. I've found no difference between chicken or beef, if I eat more than a few ounces a day I gain weight faster.

Everything I've read about meat says that we only need a few ounces a day to get enough protein to stay healthy. Maybe it's not the meat itself, but the overconsumption of it that causes problems. But an amount that is overconsumption for me, might be perfectly okay for someone else.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

I see you are a bio major, which is great. I hope you do very well. I studied it too, many moons ago, and am now a clinical nutritional counselor and did my interning in a Cancer treatment facility. My question to you is, what kind of crappy school are you going to that is teaching you that dioxins, nitrates, heavy metals, etc. are NOT proven to be carcinogens??

I'm not studying nutrition. You are just full of rude. It's not exactly necessary. This will be the second time you've directly been a jerk.
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options
    You need to lay the meat across your face! That will help the aging process!
  • dayzeerock
    Options

I'm not studying nutrition. You are just full of rude. It's not exactly necessary. This will be the second time you've directly been a jerk.

I didn't study nutrition either as a primary focus at first.

If I'm a "jerk" a third time, will it all come full circle? Will I then be a circle-jerk?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I didn't study nutrition either as a primary focus at first.

If I'm a "jerk" a third time, will it all come full circle? Will I then be a circle-jerk?

I just want to jump on to say Dayzee is my friend. And we get along because she says things like this ^
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options

Great idea there!!! You have come up with something new and exciting... A meat mask!! How long should I wear it and should I do steak, chops or lamb,?? hmmm, I think I will pack two lamp chops on either side of my cheeks, but then again, do you think this will make me look sheepishly?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lol, IMO stress ages you.
  • dayzeerock
    Options

Great idea there!!! You have come up with something new and exciting... A meat mask!! How long should I wear it and should I do steak, chops or lamb,?? hmmm, I think I will pack two lamp chops on either side of my cheeks, but then again, do you think this will make me look sheepishly?

Am I doing it wrong then? My man puts his meat on my face daily and I'm not seeing results! Can someone help me with this??
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options

OHHHH, you are making me laugh so hard right now, omg.... !!!
    Am I doing it wrong then? My man puts his meat on my face daily and I'm not seeing results! Can someone help me with this??
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Understand-Bill_and_Ted.jpg
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options

OHHHH, you are making me laugh so hard right now, omg.... !!!

Ohhh, you are making me laugh so hard right now....!!!!
  • BIGBATBASTARD
    Options

You spitting on it first? Maybe I need to just come show you!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You know what ages me? Reading the ramble on these forums. =)
  • dayzeerock
    Options

You spitting on it first? Maybe I need to just come show you!

That would be super helpful! the only thing I've gotten out of it so far is a black eye...
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I do not believe all proteins are the same. I prefer liquid protein...yummy goodness.:devil: