Healthy Homemade Pizza Recipes...?

Options
Katz721
Katz721 Posts: 16 Member
One food I CANNOT give up is the almighty pizza pie. I am looking for some good recipes to help fill the Papa Johns withdrawals. Thanks!

Replies

• Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended making a Naan bread pizza. I use about half of one with some chicken, reduced-fat shredded cheese and bbq sauce. It's pretty delicious!!!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Make mini pizzas using English Muffins (wheal/whole grain), tomato sauce, turkey pepperoni, veggies, and top it with part skim/low moisture mozzarella cheese!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    make your own! :) it's super satisfying and really easy. search for a pizza crust recipe online. then you can control the ratios and healthy it up! ;)

hth
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    you can always get a pizza at papa murphy's (if they have them there) they are made with all fresh ingredients and you take it home and bake it, one slice is like 300 calories

we make homemade pizza a lot though

we get shawnee mills crust mix and sometimes we do bbq sauce, or we do an alredo sauce, or homemade pesto

with chicken and cheese on it
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I use sandwich thins or whole wheat pitas as crust and then just lighten up all the ingredients.
  • Katz721
    Options
    The naan and english muffin ideas sound fantastic! thanks :) Keep em coming!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    how about trying it with a pita pocket? take a half/whole pita, depending on how thick they are, and toast it in the oven for a few minutes, then add your sauce and toppings on top.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I've made a flatbread pizza that's yummy! Use an Arnold's flatbread (140 cals and I like the savory herb flavor) top it and throw it in the oven or toaster oven for about 10 mins. Yummy and really easy!
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I love crispy pizza!!! So, I use a high fiber flour tortilla the 8 or 10inch kind. Put it in the oven for like 2-3 minutes take out load with veggies(i use sliced tomatoes instead of sauce because then i control the salt) , fat free mozzarella cheese and then just put it back into the oven until the cheese melts. yummy:)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    uh, bump... I def need some ideas with this.
    I found this.. have yet to make it.. but I plan on it http://blog.yourlighterside.com/2009/05/low-carb-pizza-dough-cauliflower.html
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i use the flat out wraps for thin crust personal pizzas-ive done bbq chicken pizza, traditional pepperoni (i use the turkey pep which i never thought i would like but is awesome), veggie pizza, etc. the wraps are only 90 calories to 110 calories and they are delicious.
  • Katz721
    Options
    OMG!!!! I am definitely going to try the cauliflower crust!!! I love cauliflower! You should try making mashed Cflower if you havnt already. Mmmm Mmmm
  • akashastrega
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods by you? If so, get the pre-made herb wheat dough. You can also use whole wheat Pita or Brown Rice Flour Tortilla's

BBQ CHICKEN PIZZA
    Roll it out to a thin crust, add a couple spoonfuls of BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, chopped fresh basil or parsley, sliced red onions, chopped Kalamata olives and top with a handful of shaved or thickly shredded Parmesan. Bake at 375 for 20ish minutes, when done, remove and brush Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the crust., Cut and serve.

BACON PORTOBELLO SPINACH PIZZA
    Using the pre-made dough, roll out, add chopped fresh spinach, slices Portobello or Crimini mushrooms, 4 thick cut bacon slices (chopped), sliced red or Maui onions, chopped fresh basil or parsley, crushed and chopped garlic (to taste), 1/8 to 1/4 C Ricotta Cheese (dolloped around the pizza using a small spoon rather than spread). Top with the sliced or thick shredded Parmesan, Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes, remove, brush on EVOO, cut and serve. Tomato slices may also be added before cooking (my family doesn't like tomatoes though so I only put them on my portion).

Using the pizza dough serves the whole family rather than making individual pizza's like with the pita or tortilla.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I have several ideas to solve this dilemma. ... . .

option 1: Boboli whole wheat crust (found at walmart)
    mozzarella or mexican mix cheese. . .

When making this you can do it with or without sauce. . I don't use sauce. . I just put cheese on the crust and then I put Kirkland marinated artichoke hearts, black or kalamata olives, and mushrooms. . . really whatever you want to put on it. . .My mom crumbles a little bacon on her part of the pizza. . .

*another tasty topping is marinated sundried tomatos. . Bella Sun Luci. . so good. . just have to limit how much you use. . .

Option 2: Boboli crust, Classico light alfredo, chopped chicken, garlic, crushed red pepper or white pepper, and whatever other veggies you want. ..

Option 3: flat out bread or whole wheat tortilla, crisp in a skillet then add sauce cheese veggies, or just cheese and veggies. .

* In all of these options I used measuring cups and my food scale to make sure that I am getting an accurate calorie count.

Then I put them into the recipe calculator on here and save them as I tend to log those often. .

Hope this helps.:smile:
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We do the english muffins or sometimes I make my own dough if I have time. I like alfredo (low fat) with chicken and low fat mozerella... my husband loves bbq sauce mixed with tomato paste with chicken and onions... or hot sauce or wing sauce on his chicken. uhh... we always do boneless skinless chicken breasts baked in hte oven and then cubed for meat. that's about all i can think off the top of my head.
  • Katz721
    Options
    Yes helps a lot! I do not have those stores mentioned above. Small town in rural VA. Walmart and Food Lion are my only real options. Unless I want to drive 30 miles to Kroger, which I don't. :) Yall have given me so many great ideas already. Thanks so much! I know what I'll be making this weekend ;)
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Bump!~
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's was sampling a flatbread pizza they made when I was in the store the other day. I bought the flat bread and the cheese mixture. I plan to add some turkey sausage (its breakfast sausage, but I figure it will taste good and I have it in the house), some mushrooms and maybe some onions. No sauce though - at least not this time. Hopefully it will be tasty. Oh, they made theirs with sun dried tomatoes they carry in the store - I'm just not a huge fan so I didn't buy them.

I'm making it for lunch today - I liked the sample, but haven't tried my own yet. If you're interested I can report back on my thoughts and my picky fiance's thoughts.
  • akashastrega
    Options
    Yes helps a lot! I do not have those stores mentioned above. Small town in rural VA. Walmart and Food Lion are my only real options. Unless I want to drive 30 miles to Kroger, which I don't. :) Yall have given me so many great ideas already. Thanks so much! I know what I'll be making this weekend ;)

Even without a Trader Joes or Whole Foods, as long as you choose a whole wheat option for the crust, you can use the same recipes...english muffins or bagels work as do tortilla's, pita bread, flat bread, naan bread...and health food stores tend to carry brown rice flour options for tortilla's and other bread products. May cost a bit more, but a healthier choice for many things.

PS-- I usually make herb EVOO, basically add pepper, garlic, rosemary, basil...whatever to the EVOO and let it sit. Use this oil and a basting brush...adds a punch of flavor and healthy omega's and allows you to skip using any sauces on the pizza (with the exception of a BBQ or Alfredo pizza). Then pile on veggies...sliced zuccini, mushrooms, bell peppers, fresh spinach, etc...
    Also using a hard shredded cheese such as Parmesan adds flavor but you can use less and then cut out the need for gooey cheese, saving calories. Use chicken breasts for the mean or ground turkey.

You can make a yummy turkey sausage using ground turkey, chopped rosemary, some cumin, oregano, sage, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne. You can add in finely chopped onions and garlic also. Mix well, then you can just drop it all over your pizza and you have a yummy sausage pizza that is lower in fat and calories.
  • ashleycarleton
    Options
    I made the best pizza the other night using a flatout light Italian herb wrap for the crust. I toast the wrap for 3-5 minutes @ 350F to crisp it up before adding the toppings. Then I use ~1/8cup pizza sauce, 1/4cup low-fat shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup purdue shortcuts, 1/4cup chopped spinach, 2Tbls fat free ricotta, and 1oz goat cheese.
    It was so tasty I ended up having two!