birthcontrol and weightgain?

Options
I see a lot of people saying they've gained weight on various types of birth control WHILE dieting and exercising. I don't understand, if you're watching calories and exercising how in the world can you GAIN weight? Does the birthcontrol spawn weight? Help me understand!

Replies

• brooke_92606
    Options
    No one??
  • sexyharleymama
    Options
    I have heard that too. I think it has to do with it tricking your body into thinking it is already pregnant, so it makes it more difficult to loose weight. Your body wants to store the fat rather than let it go. I think you have to work a little harder at loosing weight and be more diligent. Depending on the birthcontrol and how your body reacts to it, i can just add a challenge to the goal at hand :tongue:
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just read this article regarding weight gain and the pill:

http://www.slate.com/id/2301723

Below is a quick summation from the article, if you'd rather not read the entire article:

"The notion that birth control pills make you fat is just part of what the paper's lead author, physician David Grimes of the University of North Carolina, calls an elaborate mythology, one "fueled by rumor, gossip and poor-quality research." As it turns out, there's never been convincing evidence that the pill in any of its forms provokes weight gain."
  • brooke_92606
    Options
    I have heard that too. I think it has to do with it tricking your body into thinking it is already pregnant, so it makes it more difficult to loose weight. Your body wants to store the fat rather than let it go. I think you have to work a little harder at loosing weight and be more diligent. Depending on the birthcontrol and how your body reacts to it, i can just add a challenge to the goal at hand :tongue:

I can understand that, kind of.. but it still doesn't explain the gain.
  • brooke_92606
    Options
    I just read this article regarding weight gain and the pill:

http://www.slate.com/id/2301723

Below is a quick summation from the article, if you'd rather not read the entire article:

"The notion that birth control pills make you fat is just part of what the paper's lead author, physician David Grimes of the University of North Carolina, calls an elaborate mythology, one "fueled by rumor, gossip and poor-quality research." As it turns out, there's never been convincing evidence that the pill in any of its forms provokes weight gain."

Great article. :smile: