Just looked at Before/After pictures now I have a question f

Options
So let me start off by saying that the before/after picture thread is amazing! So many people have done so well and have made entire life transformations! Kudos to you all!!
Now I would like to ask how have you all done it? What has worked for you? Do you following MFP recommendations, or do you have another diet/ lifestyle that you follow?
If you don't mind sharing with those of us who struggle each day to keep motivation, I am sure we would all love to hear about how you all achieved your weight loss success!

Replies

• Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    bump I like to hear about this also. I think they did a wonderufl job doing all the hard work.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    check out my blog listed below in my signature :-) it answers all of your questions with pictures AND graphs (ya, i'm a nerdy engineer)
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    1.) Start moving... walk, jog, swim, workout DVD's, Wii or other like gaming systems...
    2.) Do some strength training.
    3.) Eat right.
    4.) Find workouts that are fun for you so you keep doing them.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I actually lost the majority of my weight BEFORE I joined MFP.

How did I do it?

Well, I ate less and I worked out a lot. I learned to read labels and follow serving sizes for foods. Americans have a very warped idea of what a true portion size is. It was definitely an eye opener when I started reading labels.

I also cut out pop, fast food and all foods containing high fructose corn syrup. I try and avoid white bread, white rice, white flour and white sugar (this one is VERY hard). I try and not eat TOO much processed food - but it is hard when life is busy and I'm working, running kids here and there, etc. So, I try and be careful about what is in the processed foods that I DO eat.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have a before and after of just a month of 30 day Shred. i followed MFP's recommendations with my calories and eating back them. I only lost 3.5lbs but i dropped a bunch of inches. I dont have a real before picture when i first joined this site because i was too embarrassed to even take a pic.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For me personally the following has worked:

- starting small with exercise and working up - I started walking 30 mins a day 3 x per week and now workout hard for at least 45 mins 6x per week.
    - reduce carbs and focus on 'helthy carbs' for those you do eat = so fruit/ veg and wholewheat. I eat virtually no bread (though it isn't banned)
    - don't 'ban' anything, you will crave it.
    - do not buy things thinking you will eat some now and some later - I may manage self-control later but currently if I do this I will still trough the lot.
    - always input food as you find interesting things along the way eg I had a frankfurter the other day and it wasn't awful cals but was soooo high in fat so I won't eat those unless I really want one now. Similarly some things haven't been as bad as I thought they might be!
  • boysan
    boysan Posts: 12
    Options
    I've found that for me, that diet is about 80%, and exercise is 20% of losing weight. Use MFP consistently and accurately, and you should reach your goals. It also helps to have someone else to keep you honest and motivated for both dieting and exercise. Good luck!
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    After struggling for many many years and trying many different diet plans and programs, I finally found something that worked for me. I gave up flour and sugar. In the 4 months since I've not eaten flour and sugar products I've lost 32 lbs. My food is now very clean, no processed foods. I'm much healthier and happier these days. I've lost 98 lbs in the past 15 months through changing my eating habits and exercising (usually walking).

I hope this helps a little. I posted a blog a few weeks ago about my journey. My basic food plan is there if anyone is interested in seeing what/how I eat.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    chevygirl gave you some of the best advice. Read your labels

I used to think Low Fat, Low Cal was the way to go, .......yeah right........WRONG. there is tons of processed sugars in low fat, and unreal amts of sodium and salt used for preservatives, and thats what retains water

I ate daily, 3 vegetables and 3 fruits, then in the afternoon, I d eat pinto beans and chicken breast, that I BBQ from the weekend

I ate no red meats and avoided anything that came in a box or a can.........seriously, it was all fresh stuff

I lost 111 the first 12 months, and have lost 39 more this year. Im in a plateau now, but I stay focused, I use a full length mirror to look at myself, something I avoided doing for years and every once in a while, I hold up my old 52 inch waisted pants and wonder how the hell I got that way............

stay focused, and if you want you can friend me...........Im a good guy , so no need to worry, lol...............Best wishes, Lloyd
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I have done mine through following the cals suggested here, however lately I have tweaked it as I can't eat my exercise cals back as I train in the evening. Instead of sticking to 1340 and eating exercise cals back I set it to 1500 and don't eat back, I train 5 nights a week, in the gym and doing classes like circuits and bootcamp, kettle bells etc. Excited to try trx!!! Which is coming to my gym soon. The secret is eat better move more!!! I lost 15 lb since July and 74 in total over 2 years!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I've found that for me, that diet is about 80%, and exercise is 20% of losing weight. Use MFP consistently and accurately, and you should reach your goals. It also helps to have someone else to keep you honest and motivated for both dieting and exercise. Good luck!

I agree with this. Lifting is also SO important...not just cardio! Lift HEAVY weights, you will NOT bulk up, I promise!
  • dorioreo
    dorioreo Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • airycha
    airycha Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It is interesting the kind of responses some posts get...

including mine, which has nothing to do with the topic, but it was intersting to read through what everybody had to say!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have my journey to where I am on my blog.... www.shrinkingninja.wordpress.com
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton to those of you who "helpfully" responded! I am my no means new to weight loss, just needed a little guidance and motivation to help me to keep on keeping on. Some days are really rough! I actually lost a ton of weight back in 2002-2004 but after having my second child in November of 2010 and gaining all if the weight I lost back while TTC and pregnant, it's been really hard to keep focused.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree about strength training, you won't bulk and you'll tone and have a good after burn of cals
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    OK, LOL, im back in the room

randi, as we age, it really does get harder. Thats why while were still relatively young, its important to get to a goal weight and stick to it. My Dr said its really really hard to lose weight when we enter our golden years, as well as all the medical issues we will have when we do, ie, diabetes, high blood pressure, gout, arthritic joints and knees that need to be replaced.
    For me, I ve allowed a few treats , here and there and dont throw in the towel if Ive gained one pound. Again, I only used to use a small mirror that I shave in front of to guage my physical look., I never used a regular mirror

I think the key to sucess for this is to realize you are a human, and as humans we make mistakes, this included.....I am almost at my goal, Im stuck in a plateua, but like I told one lady who has lost 105, look how far youve come.........I also kept some of my old clothes, thats the number one motivator in my life.........that scale can go in the trash, my true guage of my weight loss sucess is the fact that I work out 6 days a week, and that I am in excellent heath.......again, read my bio, it tells how things used to be. I ll never go to that black hole I was living in... Take care and best wishes........Lloyd
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have my journey to where I am on my blog.... www.shrinkingninja.wordpress.com

WOW WOW WOW. Congrats on your success you really look great. I loved your blog and especially loved your to go shirt picture, great idea! You are such an inspiration!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!