New to MFP and ready to get serious

Options
Hi All,

I'm Michelle, 36, 5'4 and I just hit 157 pounds...the most I've ever weighed. I was a pretty steady 135-140 for most of my adult life, eating whatever I liked and working out sporadically. The day I turned 35 and my body started to do it's own thing.

I downloaded the MFP app a few months ago and used it every so often, but I've decided to start really getting serious about my weight, health and overall lifestyle.

I like weight lifting but am slowly letting my boyfriend turn me into a runner...I don't really like running, but he swears it will change my life. My last 2 workouts I ran a little over 1 mile straight through with no walking breaks...I consider that a big coup! I don't mind my weight but I really want to tone and firm up. I have big legs and thighs and hope the running will help me get them in proportion with the rest of my body.

I love good tasting food which doesn't always equal healthy, throw in a sweet tooth and a dislike of water and I'm pretty much doomed from the start. The food diary is a serious wake-up call. I don't plan on become a health nut...but I think I can make much smarter choices and still enjoy food.

Glad to be here and looking to learn lots! Wish me luck!

Replies

• Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Come join our group challenge

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/317595-september-tribal-challenge-1000-people-5000-pounds

We will keep you motivated and provide some challenging daily exercises. I hope you'll join. I'd love to have you on my team.

To hear what others have said about the current august challenge check out the blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Gary6030/view/september-challenge-going-tribal-137312#comments
  • watcherII
    watcherII Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    welcome!! i agree with the good tasting food, and the sweet tooth. but i love water, with lots of ice! try adding some lemon or lime juice, it helps. as for running, i admire you. i only run for 2 reasons, to save one of my kids from harm, and, y'know, zombies. :)

feel free to add me!
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Welcome! gary is right the challanges are awesome, they also post daily challanges you can do! I am in a similar boat with you. I am 5'2", and curently 159! I'm looking to hit 120, all thru High School, and up until 21 I was 140, then I learned baout sweet yummy adult beverage! went up to 170. STarted dating my fiancee and went to 140, then a new birth control pill, up to 173, I had a friend tell me about MFP, and I love it, I can, and my finacee can tell my body is starting to look better everyday.
    I hear you with the sweet tooth, and love of food, and hatred of water. I have gotten better with the water, The sweets, 100 calorie packs, and skinny cow, and I leave it for the end of the day, and make sure I have the calories for it, as a reward for doing well.
  • jaci34
    jaci34 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! Good luck!