Suggestions For Tracking on Vacation

Options
I'll be on vacation for a week and won't have computer access for most of the day (and don't have a smart phone, so no app). Please share any innovative solutions you've used to make sure you stay within your daily calorie range.
Thanks!

Replies

• PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Well, you are on vacation. Typically, that means you are relaxing. Keep an eye on the foods you eat, and don't go overboard, but I would just skip tracking for that week.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I managed to only gain one pound on vacation. I figured out where I would probably eat then looked up the menu before I left. I didn't snack in between so I really only had my meals to add up in my head. A lot of places have a light fare menu with lower calories and will even list the calories count for those.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    have fun on your vacation. just make sure to walk around and have your water on hand. say no to the chocolate platter, even if its fruit lol. you'll be fine
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    going in Nov,I am researching area resturants I think we might go to and making a list of meals I would choose and print that out.
    make a blank page(s) to fill ing cal, carb, fat and protien( like thay do so well on this site) track your food manually
    print out your favorite meals and follow that as much as possible
    if all else fails, choose the BEST nutritional meal on the menu, skip fried,stuffed cheesed
    ask the resturant for their nutritional info
    if possible take good snacks for the air port boiled eggsin zip lock bags,indivual packs of pretzels,apple,singlar serve peanut butter

YOU CAN CONTROL THIS!!!! Don't let this side track you. you MUST be feeling better don't mess it up!!!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here does photo logging. So you might try taking pictures of your meals if you are taking a camera.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Bump! need to no vacation soon!!!!!
  • Alegria79
    Alegria79 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The photo logging is a great idea! Way less time consuming than trying to write it down on a note in your phone or something. Just snap a pic to remind yourself what you ate...I'm going to try that when I'm on my next trip.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Buy a small notebook and track what you're eating. More difficult without nutritional information but it'll give you a good idea where you stand for the day.
  • yoghurtand
    yoghurtand Posts: 119
    Options
    Depending on where you're going, it might be very difficult. What I did when I went on holiday was make sure that the portion sizes were sensible. If I knew that it was too large, I'd split the plate with a friend, which saves on money as well! If you start feeling uncomfortably full, make sure that you stop - it isn't worth it to keep going. Make sure that you walk everywhere as much as possible; this will burn off any random excesses from treating yourself from time to time. Just be sensible and you shouldn't put on very much if at all.
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I do photo food logging ... I love it! :)

Here's mine.
    http://photo-food-log.posterous.com

It's very easy especially if you have a phone with a camera. Blogger.com and posterous.com both allow you to create new posts by emailing or texting pictures from your phone.
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am going in a couple of weeks and I will be the same, probably no daily access to a computer and I still love my faithful Nokia, so no phone app for me either lol!

I have bought a little food and excercise diary, got it online, only cost me a couple of quid and its basically just so you can list what you have eaten and the excercise you have done then add it up at the end of the day.

I know that I wont know the exact calories of everything whilst I am away but I will be seeing my parents alot of the time and they know i'm on the health kick so hopefully food isn't going to be a big issue....at least i'm hoping it's not :smile:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I usually try to do lots of clear soups, salads with dressing on the side, grilled dishes (except portobellos--they tend to be loaded with oil), lots of vegetarian or vegan dishes. As a waiter I've become much more knowledgeable about types of food people can have with food issues. The consistently thin ones I've seen are those with celiac disease, gluten allergy, lactose intolerance, vegans. I suggest contacting any restaurant where you plan to eat, and ask them if they can prepare items without cream, cheese, or butter (tell them you're lactose intolerant), and that you have a severe gluten allergy (they'll have to leave all breading off your table). Print out little lists of things you require to be left out of dishes and give it to your waiter to show the chef to remind them what to leave out. That pretty much leaves you with no cheese or butter to spread on anything like bread, and things like potato dishes will be less fattening. Usually if you're really kind to the waiter and have called ahead of time, they are usually very happy to accommodate you.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do photo food logging ... I love it! :)

Here's mine.
    http://photo-food-log.posterous.com

It's very easy especially if you have a phone with a camera. Blogger.com and posterous.com both allow you to create new posts by emailing or texting pictures from your phone.

There you are Janie!