WTF?

Options
I've been following bad advice for 5 years and only getting fatter and less healthy.

Since I've been living low carb my BG has been under control, never higher than 130ish and most of the time around 110.

Before I would eat only wheat bread, oatmeal, fruits and veggies, and low fat cuts of meat. I'd try to get my 5 servings of carbs a day like the food pyramid says, I exercised my *kitten* off, and my BG was always over 150 if I had a piece of cake it would spike to over 200. All that is with medication.

I pulled this book out of my filing cabinet to see what it says and it says the same thing my doctor has said, basically "don't eat sweets, but bread, starchy veggies, and potatos are ok."

I'm glad I decided to give low carb a try and will spread what I've learned to everyone I know.

edit: I guess I can't upload a picture here so I'll have to host the pic elsewhere later.

http://i54.tinypic.com/206ob3b.jpg

Replies

• KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Hmm. If that was true I would definitely not be obese :)
  • megamoo04
    megamoo04 Posts: 269
    Options
    Hmm. If that was true I would definitely not be obese :)

i agree!
  • Robscofle
    Options
    Hi

I understand what your saying, but be careful. Medical research in the last decade has shown that white pasta, plain rice and potatoes can be worse than refined sugar at raising your blood sugar levels, but don't jump on the "all carbs are evil" bandwagon just yet. Not all carbs are the same. Choose low GI (Glycaemic Index) foods and aim to keep your carb intake ~50% of your overall intake. If you want any info on low GI, just ask.

I'd be glad to hear of your progress.
    Regards
    Rob
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've been following bad advice for 5 years and only getting fatter and less healthy.

Since I've been living low carb my BG has been under control, never higher than 130ish and most of the time around 110.

Before I would eat only wheat bread, oatmeal, fruits and veggies, and low fat cuts of meat. I'd try to get my 5 servings of carbs a day like the food pyramid says, I exercised my *kitten* off, and my BG was always over 150 if I had a piece of cake it would spike to over 200. All that is with medication.

I pulled this book out of my filing cabinet to see what it says and it says the same thing my doctor has said, basically "don't eat sweets, but bread, starchy veggies, and potatos are ok."

I'm glad I decided to give low carb a try and will spread what I've learned to everyone I know.

edit: I guess I can't upload a picture here so I'll have to host the pic elsewhere later.

http://i54.tinypic.com/206ob3b.jpg
    I'm a bit confused. You are eating low carb but eating bread, starch veggies and potatoes? That doesn't sound very low carb to me.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi

I understand what your saying, but be careful. Medical research in the last decade has shown that white pasta, plain rice and potatoes can be worse than refined sugar at raising your blood sugar levels, but don't jump on the "all carbs are evil" bandwagon just yet. Not all carbs are the same. Choose low GI (Glycaemic Index) foods and aim to keep your carb intake ~50% of your overall intake. If you want any info on low GI, just ask.

I'd be glad to hear of your progress.
    Regards
    Rob

I know all carbs are not the same. I now get my carbs from green leafy veggies, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and a litte bit from sauces/condiments...no more grain products for me.
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit confused. You are eating low carb but eating bread, starch veggies and potatoes? That doesn't sound very low carb to me.

No, that's what the ADA book I have and the medical advise I have received has said. They need to completely overhaul the food pyramid crap. The 300g a day recommended daily values are way too high for most people, especially those with family history of diabetes.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What's BG?
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hold it I think I got it... Blood Glucose?

Mine has been:
    2002: 81
    2004: 86
    2006: 85
    2008: 85
    2009: 79
    2010: 82
    I keep a record of all my blood tests.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

No, that's what the ADA book I have and the medical advise I have received has said. They need to completely overhaul the food pyramid crap. The 300g a day recommended daily values are way too high for most people, especially those with family history of diabetes.
    Got it. :smile: