Should I try Protein Powder?

Options
So, I've been reading lots of recipes that call for protein powder. I realize that the point of using it is to bump up the protein in what you are eating or drinking. I was also encouraged to eat protein after my workout, especially since I had really sore muscles.

My question is, should I try it and if so, what brand is good and inexpensive? I kind of thought that it was for gaining weight but maybe I have a poor comprehension of it's purpose. I have about 100 lbs to loose so I certainly don't want anything that is going to cause me to gain weight!

Thanks!

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, it may have given me kidney stones.
  • hstallings13
    Options
    I use Jillian Micheals Protein powder to do shakes after my workout. It hasn't given me any issues with loosing weight, but I would say it has helped with my mucles as far as soreness and repair. I would give it a shot.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I buy bulk protein powder at the local bulk foods store, unflavoured.
    I add it to my home-made pancakes, omelet's, into smoothies etc.
    I use it as I can't fathom eating all the chicken or fish etc that I'd have to to meet the same protein amount.

for the one that said it may have contributed to kidney stones I have to ask what brand you were using? Was it nothing but protein powder or was it one of the many many many out there with additional ingredients?
    Stones are no fun and I was told mine was protein sourced but I've added protein powder and no problems in 3 years.
  • jpaden
    jpaden Posts: 21
    Options
    You could try increasing your potassium for sore muscles also, have a banana or drink some coconut water. :)
  • CapitalE
    CapitalE Posts: 30
    Options
    A Hemp Protein Powder is a great idea - an organic one like Mighty Trio's is free of additives, vegan and full of hemp's super protein and omegas. Its not the cheapest, but its quality

here's the one I use: http://mightytrio.com/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just starting using it. I have 7lbs to go and have been worried about losing muscle. I am trying for 130grams of protein in a day and the protein shakes get me there. They also help with my afternoon "grazing" habits because they really fill me up.

I got some EAS stuff at Sams that was $30 for 5lbs I think (I think Cosco carries it too). I like the taste BUT it doesn't mix well in a blender bottle, which is what i have to use when I'm at school...
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Protein can be used for gaining weight, if you eat enough of it... but in moderation, it will help with muscle recovery and also help you LOSE weight. Quality protein also helps you sustain muscle during weight loss, improve muscle fitness, improve immunity, improve antioxidant function, build HDL cholesterol, and enhance insulin and leptin function.

Plus, and best of all - it keeps you feeling FULL! So you don't feel inclined to snack!

There are so many options out there, many costing a pretty penny - I use Target's Market Pantry brand vanilla powder. (It was about $16 for a two-pound jug.) I like to mix it with 1 cup of fat-free or low-fat chocolate milk, a frozen banana, flaxseed meal, wheat germ, and unsweetened cocoa powder after a hard workout. I feel full and I got protein AND carbs to help with muscle recovery. Win-win!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You could try increasing your potassium for sore muscles also, have a banana or drink some coconut water. :)

I've been adding banana's to my protein shakes. Milk, ice, banana, protein powder and some splenda. It's like drinking a banana milk shake. Yums.
  • dannylives
    dannylives Posts: 611
    Options
    A basic one that's been around for a LONG TIME is "ON'S 100% Whey". Gaspari Nutrition makes one called Myofusion that is relatively cheap and tastes GOOD, they also make one called Intrapro that tastes even better but a bit more pricey. Biochem makes a natural one that I liked but don't remember the price.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use whey protein powder from WalMart. I put it in smoothies after a workout while I cool off. Easy to use and the kids enjoy this for their breakfast as well.
  • Goddess111682
    Goddess111682 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use Protein drinks in my diet, and one of the things that I find that it helps with, is that it helps firm up extra skin, I find that it does help me with losing weight!

If you have a Walmart close by, they carry a non-expensive protein powder.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    I started using Jillian Michaels natural protein powder from walmart. I make smoothie.
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use and distribute Body by Vi rather than a typical protein shake. Love it! If you have any questions feel free to inbox me :)
  • brookums71
    brookums71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    pandorian:
    I am a vegetarian and never meet my protein needs, i do the protein pancakes and shakes, but omletes?I am intrigued?Is it sweet? my powder is sweet. please tell me more I am curious
  • JoyfulSparkle
    Options
    I use EAS soy protein, since I'm lactose intolerant. Be careful, if you have any digestive issues, I think the source of your protein is important.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    My favorite brand is Muscle Milk. I am extremely picky about flavor. I also like ones that I can drink with water OR milk AND ones that mix well in a shaker cup as I take them to work sometimes.

I've had good luck with Gaspari and Dymatize brands too, but MM is by far my favorite. :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My protein powder is unflavoured whey or hemp depending on which I want that day. I just stir it into my eggs as I'm beating them to get it well incorporated and as I have no flavour I don't find that it changes the taste. I'm only adding a tbsp or 2 to my 3 egg omelet when I want to boost the protein.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Just as a previous poster said, I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein. Its highly ranked in numerous articles and is the top selling brand on bodybuilding.com. Their flavors are excellent, but if you don't want added sweeteners, you can get a 'natural' version as well.

For the most part whey protein is whey protein. You just have to be sure you're getting a product w/out alot of useless fluff.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use Genisoy Soy Protein Powder, unflavored. Dissolves nicely, very neutral taste, not chalky. A 1 pound can costs about $12 - $15. I like the unflavored, it's easy to add any flavoring you like. Or add the powder to any recipe.

Per 3 heaping tablespoons, it contains:

Calories: 110
    Protein: 25 grams
    Carbs: 0 grams
    Fat: 1.5 grams
    No added sugars

It also contains 20 vitamins and minerals, including 100% of Vitamin E.

I usually drink an after workout protein shake with fruit and milk. Try adding some form of protein to each meal and you'll find yourself less hungry for longer periods of time. Fruit and milk might last me 1 1/2 hours. Fruit, milk, and protein lasts me closer to 3 hours.
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    I would definately drink protein shakes! I drink vi shape nutritional milkshakes twice a day and lost 54 lbs in 90 days.  They are packed with nutrition but only have 90 calories, 1 fat, 7 carbs, 1 sugar.  I mix mine in a blender with milk, juice, or coffee,  ice and cocoa powder, peanut butter, pudding powder, and/or extract flavors. Sweet cream flavor only!!!!!!!!!! Oh they are yummy.