Losing heart

Options
I've been doing lots of aerobic exercise (walking) for the past three months. I've lost about 11kgs.

The other day, I checked my resting pulse rate (for no particular reason) ... 59. I was surprised that it was so low.
I just checked it again ... 54!

I'm no athlete ... I'm not sure of my level of fitness at 55 years of age. I walk an average of 1 hour a day flat out (sometimes 2 hours) and usually carrying a heavy case (11kgs ... I weighed it). But my pulse seems to be a bit slow.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    It's on the lower end, but you really don't have to worry yet. It's actually in a quite healthy range. If it falls below about 47 at your age, then it is cause for concern.
  • mdkiwi
    mdkiwi Posts: 8
    Options
    That's not a concern at all. With all your walking, your heart health is proabably quite good. It becomes problematic if you notice you have a slow heart rate, you are fatigued, you get dizzy, you feel weak. Just keep that in mind and keep on walking!
  • Nicholec2003
    Nicholec2003 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    From 60-100 beats a minute is usually normal, but I have seen quite a few people, usually men, have heart rates in the 50's and be fine. If you are concerned about it or experiencing any kind of dizzines,weakness, or palpitaions, you should ask your doctor. Maybe get your blood pressure checked out too.
  • ItsMeLori
    ItsMeLori Posts: 346
    Options
    If you are active it makes for a healthy heart. Mine runs in the 50's and the doctor will ask me if I exercise. Its good.
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    While I am a few years younger than you (49) my resting rate is at 54 also. I am reasonably fit, do cycling and running and I feel great. From what I have read, serious athletes have HR in the low 40.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My resting rate is in the 50s. If I don't exercise for long periods of time, it will creep back up toward the upper 60s.