Who knew that to lose weight you would have to eat MORE?!

BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
edited October 1 in Food and Nutrition
When I started MFP I started off eating just 1200 cals per day, but I was starting to get hungry lately... so last week changed it up and started eating 1490, I took a lil peak at the scale today (bad habit) and have lost 1.1 kilos since MONDAY when usually I will only lose 0.2kilos per week, if that!

Just wanted to share this with you all :)

Replies

• Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    That is excellent. It's a good feeling, isn't it?
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    When I started MFP I started off eating just 1200 cals per day, but I was starting to get hungry lately... so last week changed it up and started eating 1490, I took a lil peak at the scale today (bad habit) and have lost 1.1 kilos since MONDAY when usually I will only lose 0.2kilos per week, if that!

Interesting "now" and "goal" pictures...where did you acquire them?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    i know, that was a weird thought for me when i first started too..thats why i have upped my cals a little bit every so often..good luck
  • Isn't it crazy!?! Somehow, that's how our bodies work. Men however, can get away with eating hardly anything, burning a ton of calories, and still drop the weight. For some reason we women require a litte more in the calorie department. :)
  • Lol, I still don't get this! I just upped mine as well and starting losing again.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    That was the missing link in every (failed) weight loss effort I've ever had. I didn't eat enough, had lousy progress, felt lousy, and gave up because I couldn't possibly eat less than I was eating.

It's an awesome feeling, isn't it? Knowing that it's easier than you ever thought?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

Interesting "now" and "goal" pictures...where did you acquire them?

Hello, it is this pretty neat site named My Virtual Model Community .. http://www.mvm.com/cs/
    you can make a person, that kinda looks like you, you put in your height and weight, hair colour, body type and put in your weight/goal weight/s and your height. You can also add clothing as you would like
    to see what it would look like on you and actually buy these clothes! :)

and... this is how to add it to your signature
    1. go to mvm.com
    2. click create a look
    3. out in your info and then right click the model and save.
    4.keep making all ur virtual models repeating step 3
    5. once you have them all open in paint and resize to 50/50
    6. make the background biggerto fit in all your models
    7. make sure you remember to resize them all.
    8. save final picture
    9. upload to a picture sharing like photobucket
    10. click on image link and paste to your signature change the [IMG]to 11. save changes and your done!! :D[/img]
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    It doesn`t work for me. Every time i added some extra calories after a hard excercise, i`ve gained 5-7 lb in a week,,Sigh..
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    eating extra has been working for me. I notice when I eat less/have less time to eat in a day my weight creeps up a few lbs. Then I get back on my 6 small "meals" or healthy snacks and it goes back down ^.^
  • russellworkman
    russellworkman Posts: 2 Member
    Maybe its about the metabolic rate. If it goes down the body stops burning up stored energy.
  • aladuke26
    aladuke26 Posts: 37 Member
    So then, is it important to make sure we eat the added calories that we burn off during exercice? I am suppose to eat 1200 calories to reach my goal weight, but I feel like If I eat the calories burned, what is the deficite? Wont I just be maintaining? I am so confused... :O( Please help.
  • TipMcE
    TipMcE Posts: 158
    So then, is it important to make sure we eat the added calories that we burn off during exercice? I am suppose to eat 1200 calories to reach my goal weight, but I feel like If I eat the calories burned, what is the deficite? Wont I just be maintaining? I am so confused... :O( Please help.

Hi there,
    The 1200 calories already puts you at a deficit (ie if that's all you eat and do no exercise at all, you'll lose weight). MFP figures out a base rate of calories you burn daily based on the activity level you give them when you sign up. 1200 calories is the absolute minimum you should eat in order to lose (most of us need around 1800-2000 to maintain *I think*). So if you add exercise to that and burn say 300 calories in a day, that puts you at 900 calories net (what you eat minus what you burn), which is WAY too low to survive. Essentially your body thinks you are starving and starts to hold on to energy consumed instead of burning it and you will not lose weight. There's a lot of debate about eating exercise calories, and whether you should eat all or some. To be healthy, you need to eat back what you burn.
  • danizaga
    danizaga Posts: 293 Member
    where did you create those avator pictures of yourself? i want one!
  • aladuke26
    aladuke26 Posts: 37 Member
    Thank you soooo much. that makes since to me now. I was really trying to stick to 1200 even if I burned 450cals and wasn't seeinga anything on the scale. My body was just apparently holding onto it! Thank you:O)
This discussion has been closed.