Need accurate protein guidelines

Options
Hey Folks.. My Fitness Pal always says I've eaten too much protein. My daily calories are typically 1200 daily. I'm 5'6 above age 30.

I've done a little research and many of the protein scales (University of Maryland and MayoClinic.com) base the daily protein recommendation on the IDEAL WEIGHT and not the CURRENT WEIGHT. Help!!

Replies

• MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you've got multiple threads on this subject, we answered you in your other threat. however, MFP guidelines on protein are very low. you can change them by going to settings, goal, custom.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I and many other MFP members have increased the protein allotment. The MFP guideline seems very low. I have done some research and reading on this and it is my understanding that for a middle-aged woman (I am older than you I think - more like 40 something) who does exercise the recommendation is about 1-1.2 grams per kilogram per day. That recommendation is in order to at least not LOSE muscle while one is dieting and exercising. It seems to be based on current weight. Hope that helps.
  • mcadrin08
    Options
    I've been told that 45% of your diet should be protein. A simple way to measure it is you should be taking in about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (current weight). Lots of protein is good (chicken,fish,ptotein shakes) & it's a lean source of calories.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You can eat more protein than their minimal guidelines Brick. I go over every day. I eat a lot of chicken, tuna, fish, steak, etc..so my protein is gonna be high. Besides what your body doesnt use you'll just pee out anyway!
  • rx7addict
    Options
    The only people that truly need that much protein in their diet are pro athletes and bodybuilders. It is a major misconception that the average athlete or dieter needs more than 30-50 grams per day. On top of that most people are getting between 10-30 grams from plant based sources. The biggest need of most people looking to improve health and lose weight is proper nutrition.