Elevated Liver enzyme levels...?

Options
Not sure where this would fit (or if it fits on this site), but early in the month I had blod work done. Yesterday they called to tell me I had slightly elevated liver enzyme levels. I'm really not sure what this means, why it happens or how it fix it... The nurse said that the doctor thinks it is due to me working-out and wants to have me re-tested in 2 weeks....

Anyone been here done that?? Tips? Ideas? Sites? The internet can be too much from time to time :P

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I had this problem, stayed in the hospital a week, had to beg to be released. They released me, but made me come back to have a liver biopsy.I was extremely sick to go along with it. Ended up, I had taken a detox herbal flush medicine for a couple of days and my liver had a really bad reaction to it. May not be the same thing as mine. Could be something similar, but time will heal that. The liver will heal itself, unless you have a liver dease or something, but I know nothing about that. Hope everything turns out okay for you!
  • TiffyCooper
    Options
    Typically the most common cause for elevated liver enzymes is from alcoholic beverages, or tylenol. Did you have even one small drink within 12 hours before going to the doctor that day? Or take tylenol?

I did find a forum on a different site wher someone asked the same question. The 4th reply was from a doctor.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/members/showthread.php?t=8316

Biggest advice, just talk to your doc. I am sure they are researching this for you as well, and you guys together can decide after te next blood work what your next steps should be.
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine almost died from liver failure from drinking those energy drinks like monsters, but otherwise had a very healthy lifesyle
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    By "liver enzymes" I assume you are referring to the transaminases (ALT and AST). ALT is specific to the liver, but AST is found elsewhere in the body. Most notably, AST is found in muscle. Working out can cause slight increases in AST from the additional work the muscle is doing. Prescription and non-prescription drugs can also cause increases in liver enzymes. Laboratory and clinical symptoms of liver problems may include elevations in alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin. If the bilirubin gets high enough your urine can become darker and eye sclera (the "whites of your eyes") can turn yellow. Sounds as though your physician is taking a reasonable approach.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things, and depends on which enzymes were elevated:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/elevated-liver-enzymes/MY00508/DSECTION=causes

I've also read the intense herbal detoxes can cause it to happen as well. But, sounds like your doctor is doing the right thing by waiting and re-testing again in 2 weeks.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Do what your doctor says and get it checked out! There are lots of things that can temporarily raise the enzyme levels but there are plenty of chronic things that need to be managed and the sooner the better. I have heard that rapid weight loss or high levels of exercise can raise the enzyme levels, at least you can just back off a bit if that is the case.

I'm not a doctor of medical practitioner but I have some personal experience with liver problems.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help and links! We'll see when I go back in 2 weeks, but it seems like my excessive exercise and alcohol over the summer are the most likely causes. Now that life is getting back to normal, so should my liver :P

If anyone comes up with anything else, I'd love to hear it! In the meantime I'm not too worried after reading your links... Thanks again!