PLATEAUS

Options
I have been dieting & exercising for almost a month now & for the lost 10 or 12 days, I've stayed at the same weight, sometimes gaining a pound & then losing it back. What can I do to make my metabolism start burning again? Exercise longer? Do different exercises, eat more of something, less of something?

Replies

• marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Teresa, There can be a lot of reasons....not drinking enough water, too little food, too little carbs when working out, not getting enough sleep, stress, are all reasons that i discovered kept me from loosing weight over the year it took me to get to goal. You might try the above, but you could also kick your exercise into a higher gear. But remember, any time you really stress your muscles doing something new, they retain water for awhile. Just don't worry too much about the scale...keep to your healthy eating plan, exercise, and get enough water and sleep. YOur body will love you for it.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of ways to try kicking the plateau. What worked for my mom and me was to wear a pedometer and kick up steps to 12000 a day. Good luck to you!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Just try changing things up, kick up the intensity of your workouts or add a different type of workout into your routine....along with the other changed in diet, etc recommended above.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've been plateaued all summer (lost only three pounds) but seriously EVERY DAY people tell me that I've lost so much weight and look amazing. Sometimes these are people that I see on a weekly basis. I try to measure frequently and compare how I look and feel rather than that damn scale!
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://thefitdadsays.com/how-to-kick-start-your-weight-loss-and-break-out-of-a-plateau/ This blog article seemed to have some good ideas ... and had three more related articles at the bottome to peruse.
  • TERESAGBS
    TERESAGBS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think i'm getting enough water so that is probably not it but really good info! Maybe I'll try to change my exercises some & see if that helps. I'm not discouraged because I'm feeling so much better.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    GET A TAPE MEASURE......measure yourself often. Scale will stall but you maybe losing the inches instead. I havent lost anything in about 4 months but I did lose inches.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Plateaus
    Losing weight and living healthy is a marathon and not a sprint. It’s not about how fast you get out of the blocks but how consistent you are throughout your journey. Don’t panic, work your way through it, make some small adjustments with intensity, food intake, take a deep breath and before you know it you be on the journey of dropping those lbs and living a long healthy life.
  • Butrfli
    Butrfli Posts: 50
    Options
    I feel your pain with the plateau's! I'm in the SAME boat. I started a 1200 cal diet July 9th and the scale hasn't been kind to me either. I've lost 18lbs so far but my weight HANGS in the same range for over a week before I even drop 1 pound! I gain 2-3 lbs (with no diet changes) and then it'll drop back to the weight I had a week ago. I'm trying my hardest to not let this discourage me. I feel my clothes are loose and I've dropped a pant size but the scale doesn't show me what I'm wanting to see especially when I've been so diligent on my eating. So, with this being said, I'm carrying on and know that the weight WILL come off. I've gotten use to the scale being unkind and I'm finding myself getting less disappointed stepping on with no results bc that's just the way it is for me. It will move down eventually. :)