question

Options
i reviewed M.F.P and it says i should eat about 1600 calories a day. but i feel thats alot..i want to eat about 1200. now if i do that will i lose weight or will my body not let me because im "supposed" to eat 1600...

Replies

• Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i reviewed M.F.P and it says i should eat about 1600 calories a day. but i feel thats alot..i want to eat about 1200. now if i do that will i lose weight or will my body not let me because im "supposed" to eat 1600...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's not a lot. It's normal. If we all ate whatever amount we 'wanted' without regard to our health or activity levels, this wouldn't work at all. :wink: It's best to start off with a higher number so you have room to make changes when you plateau.
  • MissGorgeous
    MissGorgeous Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    if you jump into it at 1200 you cant go any lower when you lose weight and need to adjust!

trust me when i started feb 08 i was at 1550 and nooow im at 1200
    so trust MFP!
  • natashak
    Options
    ooo great...mfp started me out at 1200, meaning I have nowhere to go down aghhhhhhhhhhh!!

although I dunt have trouble keeping it into my 1200, i do have trouble not exceeding my sugar content. Thats not good
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    your calories shouldn't go down when you lose weight. You should be changing your goals to prevent this really. For example when I was obese I ate 1200 cals a day, when I hit overweight I upped to 1300 and when I hit healthy I upped to 1400.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    your calories shouldn't go down when you lose weight. You should be changing your goals to prevent this really. For example when I was obese I ate 1200 cals a day, when I hit overweight I upped to 1300 and when I hit healthy I upped to 1400.
    really? I wonder if I need to take another look....mine go down each certain amount I lose...they are probably down a good 600 or so now....... not that it bothers me but if it's not supposed to be that low I really should figure it out for my body's sake.

hmmmmmmmm:noway:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    really? I wonder if I need to take another look....mine go down each certain amount I lose...they are probably down a good 600 or so now....... not that it bothers me but if it's not supposed to be that low I really should figure it out for my body's sake.

hmmmmmmmm:noway:

They will go down, MFP settings adjust them downwards with every 10 lbs you lose. When you are obese/very overweight this isn't really an issue because it is safe to lose 2 lbs a week, and the setting reflect that. I only meant that you should not be keeping your settings the same, at 2lbs loss per week (or whatever) even when you are down at or near a healthy weight. It just won't work. I think it is fine that your calories have gone down though, fitnesschick, once you are nearing a healthy BMI zone, I'm sure you will reconsider your goals and your caloric intake will change accordingly. I was just pointing out that MFP doesn't start someone at 1600 cals so that they can move down to 1200 as they lose. Realistically, you will be eating similarly the whole time, just losing less per week. does that make sense?