Terror at work?

Options
Have you ever worked with someone who stresses you out? Creates an unsafe work environment? Has been given multiple "chances" to correct his violently verbal outbursts without any penalities? Have you expressed your concern to your supervisors, upper management, or HR departments?

We currently work on teams, and an opening has been created, which was denied to a co-worker to move to our team to move the 'problem child' to give him yet a 7th chance. When this was an option previously we took the neccessary routes to express our concern with working in a hostile work environment. HR/Management is saying they've never received our concerns.

So we have to go about this again; granted majority have never worked with him more then 4 hours since we switched to teams/12 hours but the interactiono with him hasn't changed. He's loud, demeaning, unstable, and a threat to a easy flow work enviroment. We work in a stressful environment to start where it's important to work as a team, and he escalates the stress with his precense.

What is your experience with someone like this? Did you go to HR about it? How would you write out your concerns? I truly find it concerning to work in a close environment with him and feel that he doesn't not bring forth a positive work "vibe"?!

Yours Truly.

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Wow...some states actually pay unemployment on this for a "hostile work environment"...You need to address the fact that you feel threatened and concerned about your safety...they have to address it and if that doesn't work, call BOLI (Bureau of Labor and Industry)...watch how fast they respond then.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You know, the crazy thing is that some places have been known to lay off entire work forces in order to get rid of a few problem children. Best thing you can do is ignore them. I have come to learn that most HR groups are pretty much worthless. The other thing you can do if you choose is to file a complaint with the EEOC. If enough people file, they will basically go in and do a random investigation. Good luck in dealing with the problem child.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    Well they're trying to say it's the people on his team instigate an argument, which isn't 100% true. When we were hired we were told it's a "fire house" environment; which essentially meant that people are going to pick and you need to have thick skin. We all take our turns, so I guess it's hard to police one occurance and not the rest. But we made it clear before that he can't be dealt with. The times I've worked with him I don't speak to him at all unless it's work related. He's pretty much been alienated from the shift.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well they're trying to say it's the people on his team instigate an argument, which isn't 100% true. When we were hired we were told it's a "fire house" environment; which essentially meant that people are going to pick and you need to have thick skin. We all take our turns, so I guess it's hard to police one occurance and not the rest. But we made it clear before that he can't be dealt with. The times I've worked with him I don't speak to him at all unless it's work related. He's pretty much been alienated from the shift.

Regardless of the "frat house" joking type of workplace, there is no room for someone who causes actual emotional distress. There's a pretty thick line between having thick skin and being able to perform your job.
    Had a same situation years ago about harrasment and it got to the point that every email, letter, and phone call I made to HR I had to start documenting, as they mysteriously disappeared! I Instead of speaking with HR, write out your compaints on paper or email, then keep a copy in paper form for your records.
    Soemtimes it's easier for bosses and management to turn a blind eye then deal with a problem child, maybe time to look for a new job? Good luck with everything.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Document, document, document. That said, keep emotion out of it and state FACTS only. This kind of communication WILL get their attention. Also, I would recommend evaluating your own behavior and making sure your nose is clean before you throw the gauntlet. This I am advising based on waitin 6 months for my boss to fire someone. Good luck.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Documentation! If possible video or audio recordings. If there is no proof, it didn't happen. Keep a copy in case the other gets "lost" along the way. Make sure the others in the group are willing to put their necks on the line with yourself. Many people will loose their memory when faced with possible repercussions of labor disputes.