disappointed

Options
Feeling a little upset today. Just finished my first week, I did well with both the calories and exercising. Did a weight in this morning... one scale had me up a pound, and another scale had me down a pound. :cry: I realize that I could be building muscle, but feel a little discouraged looking at those #'s.... Oh well thats life, just move on with it. right????:ohwell: :ohwell:

Replies

• dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    Feeling a little upset today. Just finished my first week, I did well with both the calories and exercising. Did a weight in this morning... one scale had me up a pound, and another scale had me down a pound. :cry: I realize that I could be building muscle, but feel a little discouraged looking at those #'s.... Oh well thats life, just move on with it. right????:ohwell: :ohwell:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    I have felt the same way. Don't be discouraged by the day-to-day fluctuations. It's the big picture that matters. You'll get there!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    There are times I would love to shoot the scales. Just keep on doing what you are doing and you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Cheer up! It's only been a week...give you body time to get into the groove of things!! And we all know muscle weighs mor than fat...have u been doing a lot of strength training? What ever u do...don't give up!!!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    Thanks everyone,:smile: i realize its only been a week, but a little reward from the scale would of been nice. Have started some strength training, with resistance bands. Can't seem to figure out how to record the reps that I do with them. Anyone have any ideas..
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem; getting easily discouraged. I take my meaurements and officially weigh in on every monday morning. If you want to do measurements, grab a calendar and start documenting (see the post on measurements). You will be amazed at the progress you make. While I haven't lost much weight in the past month, I have lost a combined total of almost 10 inches! If you like the visual of seeing the scale tell you things are working, this could be perfect for you to realize you are getting smaller despite the numbers!
  • dgweisblatt
    Options
    ariannedavis is right. If you don't see it on the scale, you'll probably see the "loss" with the tape measure or with your clothes getting looser or fitting better.

And for the record...a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.(1 pound = 1 pound) However, a pound of muscle takes up less space (imagine a pound of bricks) than a pound of fat (imagine a pound of feathers) AND muscle burns calories just by being there (around 40 calories per day)...as opposed to fat which just sits around being fat (and only burns about 2 calories per day)! So, the more muscle you have (not even body-building type - just "regular-people" type), you become a more efficient, caloire-burning machine! Don't give up!!!