13 hr days w no way to keep food cold

Options
nat102
nat102 Posts: 118 Member
Starting Monday I am the world's craziest person and am going to wake up at the crack of dawn, go to work, then go to school. I am planning on eating fruit, working out, then drinking a 150 cal protien shake all before 8am. Then I have until 9pm till I make it home. What can I bring w me that's healthy and doesn't need to stay cold?? Help! I don't want to get stuck buying and eating unhealthy food or packing a pbj.

Btw I look to stay around 2000 cal a day :) your help is appreciated!!!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Protein bars? They are quick and easy.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    canned fish ie, Kippered Herring is great if you're eating outside as some don't appreciate the scent.
    hard boiled eggs
    granola bars (homemade of course)
    trailmix etc.
    pb and honey with a container so you put them on your wrap / bread just before it's time to eat etc
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you like tuna, but we bought some pre-made tuna sandwich stuff when we went camping and to Cedar Point (limited cooler availability while at CP). It comes in a pouch and while a bit high in sodium was VERY convenient!
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    rice cakes with triangles of cream cheese... I find the cheese can live a day without a fridge.
    Nuts, dried fruits.
  • TorridCutie
    TorridCutie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should invest in an insulated lunch bag.
  • nat102
    Options
    I don't know if you like tuna, but we bought some pre-made tuna sandwich stuff when we went camping and to Cedar Point (limited cooler availability while at CP). It comes in a pouch and while a bit high in sodium was VERY convenient!

Easy, high protien, yummy!

Amazing idea :) thank you!!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Insulated lunch bag/small cooler with a freezer pack?
  • nat102
    Options
    Maybe you should invest in an insulated lunch bag.

Lol..I have one. I just can't stand carrying a back pack, a gallon of water, and a cooler lunch bag all through campus.
  • KittyMul
    KittyMul Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm at uni about ten hours a day at the moment with no fridge, so I'm in a similar situation. I usually pack a protein bar and some snacks (almonds, fresh or dried fruit, cheese, carrot sticks). It's winter in Australia at the moment, so I've been enjoying taking hot soups in a thermos, mushroom or pumpkin are my favourites. When it's warmer, I either pack a salad with the dressing separate or a wrap. Tuna/salmon in those foil bags or the no-drain tins are a life saver! Hard boiled eggs are good too, they come with their own packaging. I find wraps will stay fresh for about three hours but any longer and they get soggy and not nice. So I usually have breakfast around six thirty, a protein bar after the gym (at around nine). Then I have a skinny latte as soon as I get to the library. My lunch around twelve and then usually a little snack at two and again at four, then dinner when I get home at about seven. I find it very tempting to graze when I'm sitting next to a bag of food and surrounded by cafes and vending machines, so that's why I make sure I pack lots of little snacks. I also drink lots and lots of water!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing - often out of the house from 8am to 10pm with no cooking facilities, fridge etc. I take fruit (dried or fresh), salads, nuts, seeds, flatbread, crackers, left-over fish and have a small compartmented lunch-box which fits in my bag. I just throw a bunch of stuff in - one compartment for protein, one for carbs and the big section for veg/salad. Keeps it balanced and easy. Seriously think about taking a thermos of soup instead of your water in winter - I bet you can grab some water for free a couple of times and you cut down how much to carry loads, while still getting hydrated, getting tons of nutrients and keeping your energy up.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I take a Tupperware box with a chopped salad (mangetout, cucumber, spring onion etc with flax seeds or almonds) and a tin of fish that I open and mix in when I am ready to eat. Or an alternative to fish is a quorn/soya burger.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    turkey jerky, high protein low fat.