Water consumption

MissMaggie3
MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
I know it is good to drink a lot of water, but logging it is a bit tricky for me. First of all, I tend to just fill up the water bottle as and when required during the day. Secondly I like eating ice cubes and have no idea how that equates to 'cups' (as a Brit I also don't relate well to the 'cups' measurement). Finally, I keep a glass of water next to the bed and drink it if/when I wake during the night - makes me feel better in the morning when I do. However, I fill the glass from a filter jug last thing at night when sleepy, and can never remember how much was in it by morning!

To be blunt, rather than thinking about the amount of water, I tend to keep an eye on the colour of my wee and use that as an indicator as to whether I need more.

So, my question is, do I really need to bother logging water?

Replies

• I know it is good to drink a lot of water, but logging it is a bit tricky for me. First of all, I tend to just fill up the water bottle as and when required during the day. Secondly I like eating ice cubes and have no idea how that equates to 'cups' (as a Brit I also don't relate well to the 'cups' measurement). Finally, I keep a glass of water next to the bed and drink it if/when I wake during the night - makes me feel better in the morning when I do. However, I fill the glass from a filter jug last thing at night when sleepy, and can never remember how much was in it by morning!

To be blunt, rather than thinking about the amount of water, I tend to keep an eye on the colour of my wee and use that as an indicator as to whether I need more.

So, my question is, do I really need to bother logging water?

No. YOu don't have to log water. I log water just to see that little glass overflow :)
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Dont worry about logging water, what your are doing is the best indicator to warn you if u r dehydrated...just make sure you are drinking enough..... I just log water as maggieholmes said to see that glass overflow, love watching it :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Hi fellow Brit!

What you're doing is what our countries now recommend, and is based in science. 8 cups (2 litres) being the right amount for everyone is obviously nonsense. At some point someone will post a calculation based on correct water consumption according to bodyweight. This is also nonsense as I weigh the same sat in 95% humidity in a Scottish winter as I do running an ultra marathon across the Sahara.
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Knew you were a smart cookie! Makes purrfect sense. I AGREE we should forget the 'cups' thing completely. Instead perhaps we shold have a 'wee' colour scale or ticker so that we can indicate at a certain time the colour of our 'wee'.
  • JohnnyStorm
    JohnnyStorm Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks for posting. I was just thinking about this.

It's difficult to know how much water I'm taking in.

I have a history of kidney stones so the online reminder is great for me. Sometimes when I see the glass online I will remember that I have not had any water for awhile and go and get a glass.
  • MissMaggie3
    Knew you were a smart cookie! Makes purrfect sense. I AGREE we should forget the 'cups' thing completely. Instead perhaps we shold have a 'wee' colour scale or ticker so that we can indicate at a certain time the colour of our 'wee'.

What an excellent idea! Let's propose it to the MFP people!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    OMG I had no idea the cup overflowed as I do it all on my iPhone!

I add two cups for every 600mL bottle of water I drink. For me that's the best way to count how much I've drunk. I aim for at least 8 'cups' or 2.4L

ME TOO! I find that such a good indicator. I was at the gym today and had drunk 2L during my workout. Thought I was hydrated. Went to the toilet before I left and realised, no I was really, really dehydrated. I filled up the water bottle on the way out and made myself drink it by the time I got home. I've been on the water ever since.

For those who don't know what people are talking about here's a nifty little chart

HYD3.jpg
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    I actually don't track water consumption at all. As IronSmasher noted, the 8 cup a day recommendations are a myth and many diet plans differ on the theories of water consumption. Most science I've seen states that you probably get much of the water you need in your food, especially if you are eating fresh fruits and vegetables everyday. I usually just listen to my body; when I'm thirsty, I drink something. The color of urine is certainly a good indicator that your not getting enough fluids, but I'm less likely to track that here than I am my water consumption.
  • MissMaggie3
    Lozze - what a great chart! Thank you. :flowerforyou: