Help with pull ups for newbie

taem
taem Posts: 495 Member
Hi.

I just received and assembled a pull up bar. I am overweight and I know enough to use the chair. Can some of you kind folks tell me your journey on the pull up bar so I can get a sense of what I need to do and expect?

I really don't want any more injuries, this is why I am asking.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thedodgeruk
    thedodgeruk Posts: 132 Member
    all depends on your whole workout , you should not train the same muscles 2 days in a row , its bad for them
    should really do a 3 day split
    monday legs
    wednesday pulling ( arms)
    friday extentions (arms)

some thing like that
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Research 'grease the groove' training
  • taem
    Thank you! I will make sure I don't overtrain and I will research the grease the groove.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    You can do negatives... You get yourself up, then lower really slowly.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    You can do negatives... You get yourself up, then lower really slowly.

Agree with this!
  • My husband and I bought the p90x dvd series to walk us through this. Though it's a challenging program, we've learned so much and really grown strong. Even if you're heavier than you'd like to be, p90x is still an option. Just take it slow and "listen" to your body. I would also recommend stretching and/or yoga; these are essential to keeping your body injury-free. Good luck.
  • kwaters7
    kwaters7 Posts: 129
    Hey agree with the posts above, just want to stress one thing - always make sure you are warmed up and stretched before doing pull-ups - don't ever do them on impulse or there's a good chance you'll pull or strain something. You'll probably experience soreness for a while but stick with it, once you get stronger at the exercise it's well worth it...
  • taem
    Thank you all for helping me with great advice. I am always plagued with injuries. They don't stop me but they certainly slow me down. I thought by asking those who have gone through it before, I can learn from you, utilizing MFP is great.

I am doing my own research, so please do not think I am lazy. But I know enough to ask others of their experience and take the best of their advice to fit my needs.

Thanks again!