Breakfast for dinner?

Ok, so I'm new to this watching what i eat thing. Not used to not being able to eat the disgusting, greasy, fatty foods I love. I need some good ideas for breakfast for dinner. We already use turkey bacon, but what else can we do to get the flavors we want without it being too bad for us. Egg whites or something? Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Low fat muffins
    Egg beaters
    Whole wheat pancakes
    Sugar free or all-fruit syrup
    Lite wheat bread
    All fruit jam
    Light butter
    Natural peanut butter
    Bagel thins
    Greek yogurt (for parfaits)
    Kashi go lean cereal (or other high fiber cereal)

- Add fresh fruit to pancakes and waffles for a low calorie filler
    - Make all of your grains whole
    - Try to stay away from butter. Use canola oil if necessary.
    - Use fat free or reduced fat cheese.

Hope this helps!
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Yep, I put salsa on my egg whites for a little kickin' taste. :smile: Or, I'll put a scoop of my protein powder in my raisin bran cereal.
  • I am big on breakfast! But I don't likie plain egg whites, so I use the egg creations ( or similar liquid egg). I make egg mcmuffins out of it. An english muffin, some cheese. I am in heaven lol
    As for dinner, if you are a burger person, there are lots of low fat options. I'll cook a chicken breast and put it on a bun. Or some stores sell some great turkey burgers.
    My fat for the day is always cheese. I can't cut it out. I would binge! So I just shred it and weigh it.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    one evenning I took 2 blueberry wheat pancakes slapped some peanut butter between them and went to town lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Ok, so I'm new to this watching what i eat thing. Not used to not being able to eat the disgusting, greasy, fatty foods I love. I need some good ideas for breakfast for dinner. We already use turkey bacon, but what else can we do to get the flavors we want without it being too bad for us. Egg whites or something? Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:

If you choose Egg Whites, make sure you don't use the Egg Beaters brand. Get the other one that's 100% pure egg whites. Not other crap.

Thin bagels work.

Sometimes for breakfast I have a thin bagel, piece of chicken, tomatoes, & egg whites all together.
  • Barbj56
    Barbj56 Posts: 39 Member
    Canadian bacon has become a new fave. Also, crustless quiche or a frittata with eggbeaters and lot of veggies along with some lowfat cheese. Salsa and reduced fat sour cream and tons of flavor....maybe some avocado with it!
  • MandaLen13
    MandaLen13 Posts: 151 Member

If you choose Egg Whites, make sure you don't use the Egg Beaters brand. Get the other one that's 100% pure egg whites. Not other crap.

Thin bagels work.

Sometimes for breakfast I have a thin bagel, piece of chicken, tomatoes, & egg whites all together.

Whats wrong with the Egg Beaters egg whites? I use those...are they secretly bad for you or something??? Hope I havent been eating something I shouldnt be :(
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    I have not eaten bacon for a long time, years, because the calories weren't worth it. I also have stopped eating hashbrowns because of the carbs...or I'll eat just a tiny bit. I also use salsa on my eggs and sometimes make it a wrap with a low carb whole wheat tortilla.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    I make an omlet made out of Egg, turkey sausage and spinach...

I use egglands best eggs, I dont like just egg whites. butterball makes a good turkey sausage and the spinach is very low in calories. I use a cooking spray to fry it to cut down on calories.
  • What about just fresh fruit chopped up with a bit of honey for sweetness? Or smoothies with just fruit and honey?

There are also very good vegan sausage patties - I think it's "Gimme Lean" by light life. It comes in a tube and then you make it into patties. Incredible w/ a little lite maple syrup. Honestly, you cannot tell they aren't meat and they are a heck of a lot better for you.

Tofu scrambles with tons of veggies are also incredible. Eggs are disgusting in my opinion - not because of how they taste but because of the way the hens are treated. Look into it.
  • This all sounds great! Thanks everyone!
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Whats wrong with the Egg Beaters egg whites? I use those...are they secretly bad for you or something??? Hope I havent been eating something I shouldnt be :(

there's other ingredients in there besides egg whites. The simpler the better - YOU be the one to add the extras not some company.
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    personally, I prefer real food... real eggs, real bacon... Eggs have great nutritional value, which most if it is found in the yolk (except the protein) and good center cut bacon can be about the same calorie and sodium wise as turkey bacon... even may have lower counts depending on brand vs brand... And show me where you cut the bacon off a turkey? You don't... it's pretty much a hot dog in a different shape w/ bacon "flavor"... i ate it for a while, but switched back to real bacon.

Other than bacon and eggs, you can mix up some whole wheat pancakes (we prefer a mix of whole wheat and white flour) or waffles. Oatmeal is a good choice and you can dress it up in a variety of ways.

I'm partial to "scromelets" for dinner myself... which is a combination omelet and scrambled eggs... Scramble the eggs and toss in whatever veggies and meat float your boat, top w/ a little bit of cheddar cheese and plate it up.

Unless it's whole grain, skip the biscuits and toast.
  • personally, I prefer real food... real eggs, real bacon... Eggs have great nutritional value, which most if it is found in the yolk (except the protein) and good center cut bacon can be about the same calorie and sodium wise as turkey bacon... even may have lower counts depending on brand vs brand... And show me where you cut the bacon off a turkey? You don't... it's pretty much a hot dog in a different shape w/ bacon "flavor"... i ate it for a while, but switched back to real bacon.

Other than bacon and eggs, you can mix up some whole wheat pancakes (we prefer a mix of whole wheat and white flour) or waffles. Oatmeal is a good choice and you can dress it up in a variety of ways.

I'm partial to "scromelets" for dinner myself... which is a combination omelet and scrambled eggs... Scramble the eggs and toss in whatever veggies and meat float your boat, top w/ a little bit of cheddar cheese and plate it up.

I didn't know that about the bacon. What about canadian bacon? Is that ok or should I just stick with lean regular bacon??
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    personally, I prefer real food... real eggs, real bacon... Eggs have great nutritional value, which most if it is found in the yolk (except the protein) and good center cut bacon can be about the same calorie and sodium wise as turkey bacon... even may have lower counts depending on brand vs brand... And show me where you cut the bacon off a turkey? You don't... it's pretty much a hot dog in a different shape w/ bacon "flavor"... i ate it for a while, but switched back to real bacon.

I didn't know that about the bacon. What about canadian bacon? Is that ok or should I just stick with lean regular bacon??

I have NO idea about Canadian bacon, I'm still not convinced it's not just little ham circles... Anyone got an answer?
  • ghlm
    ghlm Posts: 9 Member
    If you are not a super-low carb person, try making stews with some meat (lean beef, skinless chicken or whatever) and bulking it out in terms of volume, fibre, nutrients and filling-ness with lentils and loads of relatively low-cal veg (carrots, onion, spinach, turnip or swede, parsnip). Add a stock-cube and your preferred herbs/spices. Put the ingredients (except the meat) once chopped, in a slow-cooker in the evening, without turning it on. Add the meat in the morning, and some water, and turn it on. Dinner's ready when you get home from work, and it's filling, nutritious, and effortless. AND you can take leftovers for lunch the next day, if your slow-cooker is big enough. AND you can calculate how many calories per serving if you enter the recipe in your diary (just make sure you also write the recipe down somewhere - the app doesn't seem to retain ingredients or amounts, only nutrient and energy-values.
  • try Morning star sausage crumbles with your egg whites. They are low calorie and are really good.
  • I went to IHOP today expecting to just get a fruit cup or something, but I got 2 peices of turkey bacon, 2 waffle triangles covered in bananas and strawberries in syrup with eggs. It was only 380 calories AND only cost $4.99 AND it was supper filling and yummy!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    I went to IHOP today expecting to just get a fruit cup or something, but I got 2 peices of turkey bacon, 2 waffle triangles covered in bananas and strawberries in syrup with eggs. It was only 380 calories AND only cost $4.99 AND it was supper filling and yummy!

That is great, I turned down an ihop invite last week. Now I know I can go and have something good. :)
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    I went to IHOP today expecting to just get a fruit cup or something, but I got 2 peices of turkey bacon, 2 waffle triangles covered in bananas and strawberries in syrup with eggs. It was only 380 calories AND only cost $4.99 AND it was supper filling and yummy!

That is great, I turned down an ihop invite last week. Now I know I can go and have something good. :)

i did the same thing ever since ihop started putting the calorie content right on the menu (way to ruin a perfectly good cheat meal) i've avoided the place due to calorie sticker shock but i can totally do 380 calories.

also i make light french toast for breakfast or dinner, slices of light wheat bread (70 cal for 2 slices) egg whites, alittle skim milk, cinnamin. and cook like french toast, then i heat up 2 tbsp of sugar free blue berry or starwberry preserves mix with a little water to thin and drizzle over french toast.omg its so good!