New Here!

Today is my first day on myfitnesspal. I thought I would introduce myself and see what happens.

My name is Sheila, I live in Calgary Canada. I am 45 years old and have been married for 15 years. From the time I was 19 until today, I have been overweight. First due to a pregnancy, then due to depression, and it just spiraled out of control. My highest weight ever was 302. That number freaked me out. I knew I had to do something otherwise I would die.

I began a diet of 1 cup of food per meal (3 a day). I tried to keep the foods towards the healthy side, but really I ate what I wanted as long as it fit in my cup. I stopped drinking soda and switched to water or water with lemon. I ate very little carbs, I watched my fat intake, and I tried to eat more salads and veggies. Most people think that switching to a cup of food per meal is drastic and that you could not get enough food in, but honestly, I was basically never hungry. Your stomach will shrink down and after about a week to two weeks, you can barely eat more than a cup even if you wanted to.

I didn't exercise much due to a car accident I had. Messed up my back for almost a year, but now I am getting back into walking. Here in Calgary the weather is very crappy in the winter time, so I go to different malls around town and walk between 30 to 45 minutes 3 times a week. However, it is summer(ish) now so I walk around my neighborhood or when we go out shopping, I make sure we walk around for at least 30 minutes, and recently, we have been going out almost every day. When at work, I purposely park on the 5 level so I force myself to walk the stairs. Now I only have to go to the 3rd level to get to my office, but every little bit helps. Plus I work in a hospital, so I walk sometimes all over the hospital.

On November 30, 2010 I weighed 291 pounds. Today at my weigh in, I weighed 225 pounds. I have been pretty happy with my weight loss so far, but I have a goal of 140 pounds. I still have a ways to go.

Well, that is my abbreviated story. It is nice to meet everyone.

Sheila

Replies

• welcome to mfp hun, congrats on your weight loss thus far, keep up the good work and you will definitely reach your goal weight.
  • laurelei09
    laurelei09 Posts: 32 Member
    Good work. Sounds like you've really been focused! Keep up the good work and welcome!
  • Hi sheila, firstly congrats on your weight loss so far, thats an amazin loss. i've only been using the site for a week and have a goal of 140lbs also. i'm in the UK but feel free to add me as a friend for support.
  • Welcome!!!:flowerforyou:

You have quite an inspiring story!! GOD BLESS YOU! Hope you find all the support you need right here. Im still getting used to this site myself.
  • jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Good job and welcome! I'm fairly new as well and trust me- you will love this site! Lots of support!!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,085 Member
    Hello Sheila, Welcome to MFP and you have amazing testimony and lovely story!! Congratulations on your weight lose!! Pleasure to meet you Sheila. I'm Robert only been on here for about three weeks now. If there is anything I can help with please feel free to ask. Have a great weekend:):):)
  • irocmom
    irocmom Posts: 3
    Hi Sheila, I am new to this also, I have been doing this for only 2 weeks now. I love this site and I am finding it very helpful. Good luck on your weight loss, we are all here to help each other .
  • nikkif87
    nikkif87 Posts: 193 Member
    Welcome! Great job on your weight loss so far!