Proper running form?

Options
So I am looking more into changing my running form. I am definitely a heel striker. On my last short run (4 miles) I tried to strike more on my mid foot. I started experiencing some pain in my knees so about a mile or 1.5 miles into my run I stopped. Now, 2 days later I have some muscle pain in my calves and the outside of my ankle. Is this normal due to not using these muscles usually when I run, or did I do it wrong and injure myself? What is the best way to transition away from a heel strike? Quick note, I'm training for a half marathon in November, should I wait until after that to do anything with my form?

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi I hope you get some replies coz I'm really interested in this :)
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm NOT an experienced runner but I do know that you may be hurting yourself if you are trying to keep your "normal" stride while kinda pointing your toes so that you'll come down mid foot or on the balls of your feet.

I'm starting the 5K101 (starting it again I should say) and I've purchased the 'Chi Running' book to work on a better running form. This low impact running form is VERY different form a normal shod running form - your strides feel really short at first and your foot doesn't contact the ground until you're almost over top of it (never in front of your body).

I tried to figure this out a couple of years ago and gave up, this time I'm using minimal shoes and the feedback (read pain!) when I don't run right is helping!

If you're in shape and used to running with a heel strike you may have to move over slowly so that you can still get in a good workout? That or run in the "new" form slowly as you learn and supplement with an elliptical machine?
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I found this dvd helpful http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7GEGW to work on my running form.

I would say the calf pain sounds very normal, my calves were killing me at first b/c they were getting much more of a workout.

I would not expect you to experience additional pain in your knee / ankles.

It took me a month of really trying to start to see any benefit from changing my running form.
  • 5SpeedRunning
    Options
    For readers who want to know more about how better form can help improve their running, this video series will help you.

Running Form Video Series>>>> http://www.TransFORMYourRunning.com

Coach Ken
    5 Speed Running