How do you calculate calories burned?

Options
how do you calculated calories burned by an exercise that is not in the database? For example, I like wii zumba...and it is certainly a work out....i just dont know how many calories to count? Thats only one of many

Replies

• kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Buy a HRM. They are well worth the investment!! Not only can you log things that aren't in the database, but you'll start to see how vastly off the MFP calculations are to what your HRM says!
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Exactly what she said!! (Above) :)
  • RN4Surgery
    RN4Surgery Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HRM??
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    hrm....heart rate monitor.

zumba has a website that you can use to estimate your calories www.zumbacalories.com
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    HRM= Heart Rate Monitor
  • RN4Surgery
    Options
    awesome...I have one for my wrist on my watch but how do you plug it in and calculate it?? I wll go to the zumba site for that also...funny...I work with ecgs on a regular basis but didnt put HRM together...LOL....Oh and btw..how do you put those cool tickers and little snippits about your weight loss on the bottom of each post?..I just started doing this for real this time:)..very motivated..I think I lost more than 2 but am scared to weigh for the first 2 weeks.
  • kamoira23
    Options
    Go to your profile, and underneath your ticker it will say "add ticker to profile" or something similar to that. It will give you a code to copy and paste. Go to the message board, and click on "signature" and copy the code that they gave you there! That should work!!

And as for the monitor - I highly suggest Polar brand! I got an FT4 on Amazon for less than $100. It has a chest strap that you strap under your clothes and a wrist watch that you can see all of the information on. It gives you calories burned, it's waterproof (up to 30') and I've used mine religiously for the past 5 months and it's still working well!

Good luck!
  • kamoira23
    Options
    Oh, and copy the BBcode, not the HTML one!
  • RN4Surgery
    Options
    Thanks, Kamoira!! I finally figured it out under the help section...I should have just come back to this:) I also found another site with a database for zumba so I added it to this sites exercises:) hopefully will get that polar today if they have one at academy
  • RN4Surgery
    Options
    Thanks smurfette:) didnt see this but will go there too!
  • RN4Surgery
    Options
    Hey all...I got a polar FT7 and LOVE it....I was actually able to see the calories burned in a snap....THANK YOU ALL for the advice!:)