Fettuccine Alfredo with Broccoli (lighter version)

Options
SoupNazi
SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
298x232-fetticcine_broccoli-298x232_fetticcine_broccoli.jpg

Our version has...
61% fewer calories
167% more fiber
88% less fat
45% less sodium
90% less cholesterol
than a traditional version

Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 c 1% milk, divided
3/4 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3 oz)
1 tsp trans-free vegetable oil spread
6 oz whole wheat fettuccine
4 c bite-size broccoli florets
1/2 c frozen peas, thawed
12 grape tomatoes, halved
1/3 c chopped fresh parsley

1. Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the milk in medium saucepan. Whisk in remaining 1 cup milk. Bring to a slow simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Stir in cheese and spread, stirring until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep sauce warm.

2. Prepare pasta per package directions. Add broccoli to pasta water during last 5 to 7 minutes of cooking. Place peas in colander. Drain pasta and broccoli over peas.

3. Transfer pasta and vegetables to large serving bowl and toss with cheese sauce, tomatoes, and parsley.

Nutritional Info Per Serving 304 cal, 19 g pro, 41 g carb, 8 g fiber, 7 g fat, 3.5 g sat fat, 18 mg chol, 449 mg sodium

From Prevention.com

Replies

• SoupNazi
    Options
    298x232-fetticcine_broccoli-298x232_fetticcine_broccoli.jpg

Our version has...
    61% fewer calories
    167% more fiber
    88% less fat
    45% less sodium
    90% less cholesterol
    than a traditional version

Time: 25 minutes
    Servings: 4

1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 c 1% milk, divided
    3/4 c grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3 oz)
    1 tsp trans-free vegetable oil spread
    6 oz whole wheat fettuccine
    4 c bite-size broccoli florets
    1/2 c frozen peas, thawed
    12 grape tomatoes, halved
    1/3 c chopped fresh parsley

1. Whisk together flour, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup of the milk in medium saucepan. Whisk in remaining 1 cup milk. Bring to a slow simmer, stirring, over medium heat. Stir in cheese and spread, stirring until slightly thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cover to keep sauce warm.

2. Prepare pasta per package directions. Add broccoli to pasta water during last 5 to 7 minutes of cooking. Place peas in colander. Drain pasta and broccoli over peas.

3. Transfer pasta and vegetables to large serving bowl and toss with cheese sauce, tomatoes, and parsley.

Nutritional Info Per Serving 304 cal, 19 g pro, 41 g carb, 8 g fiber, 7 g fat, 3.5 g sat fat, 18 mg chol, 449 mg sodium

From Prevention.com
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    ok ,so now your just taunting me with yummy food.

This looks so good! Been craving alfredo but the normal recipe would blow my behind back up the original size!!!:smokin:
  • SoupNazi
    Options

This looks so good! Been craving alfredo but the normal recipe would blow my behind back up the original size!!!:smokin:

And just tell me who doesn't like Italian food? Probably my mostest, favoritest EVAH!

Have you tried the jarred Ragu light alfredo sauce over whole wheat fettucine? So good and so quick.
  • arewethereyet
    Options

And just tell me who doesn't like Italian food? Probably my mostest, favoritest EVAH!

Have you tried the jarred Ragu light alfredo sauce over whole wheat fettucine? So good and so quick.

I did! I added garlic powder and shrimp and it was yummy. DH didnt know the difference!!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    drool.gif

Soupy.........will you marry me? crush.gif
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    drool.gif

:laugh:

I almost forgot! Utah.....here we come!!!!!:drinker: :smokin:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    drool.gif

:laugh:

I almost forgot! Utah.....here we come!!!!!:drinker: :smokin:

th_happy0005.gif
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    This was really good. Added some garlic and chicken for the DH!! Yummy!
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    that sounds amazing. i'll have to try making it
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    BTW the serving size is 1/4 of this recipe! It was delish!

You could add shrimp, garlic, chicken..I would leave out the peas next time but the brocc and tomatoes where yummy
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options

You could add shrimp, garlic, chicken..I would leave out the peas next time but the brocc and tomatoes where yummy

mmm i love adding vegetables and chicken to my pasta. what i do is make one serving of catelli whole wheat pasta (which is 310 cals) and split it in half. Then I add 2-3 oz of chicken as well as acup of mixed veggies and some homemade tomato sauce. it was sooo good.

now i really want to try this recipe haha. i love alfredo. i need to try making it with soy though as milk no longer agrees with me. i wonder if that would turn out ok?
  • arewethereyet
    Options

mmm i love adding vegetables and chicken to my pasta. what i do is make one serving of catelli whole wheat pasta (which is 310 cals) and split it in half. Then I add 2-3 oz of chicken as well as acup of mixed veggies and some homemade tomato sauce. it was sooo good.

now i really want to try this recipe haha. i love alfredo. i need to try making it with soy though as milk no longer agrees with me. i wonder if that would turn out ok?

i was worried about making it without the cream....but it was good. so prob the soy milk will be good too. I did add a tlbs of real butter, I dont like the fake stuff.