Those in favor of eating back your exercise calories say "Vr

Options
I like to compare eating calories to fueling a car. You can only run on vapor for so long. You give your car gas, your car goes, you forget to put gas in your car, you car does not go...so simple.
Our bodies are more complex than that, obviously, but the fact is that we run on fuel too, and that fuel is the food we eat. If we eat garbage, our bodies don't function as well, and need repairs more often. If we feed ourselves good fuel (fresh foods, whole foods) then our bodies function better and don't break down as much.
As far as eating back your calories, I guess really you shouldn't do it. Because really, you should be fueling yourself BEFORE you exercise. So eat your calories, eat your exercise calories, give your body the good fuel it needs to run at optimal function

Replies

• jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    definitely agree with you, but i didn't start eating back my exercise calories until I went into maintenance.
  • deadliftdavie1918
    deadliftdavie1918 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I eat 'em back and I've lost over 10 pounds that way. I've read the zillion threads about this and the answer that make the most sense is EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. Also, this http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ helped.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Not to everybody Seechrisrun1918.

It doesn’t make any sense to me.

I don't create calorie deficit to waste it by eating additional calories.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds without eating any of my exercise calories back.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

Then you don't understand how MFP works. MFP already builds in the deficit. If you aren't eating your exercise calories back, then you run the risk of that deficit becoming too large.
  • annika27
    annika27 Posts: 56
    Options
    i don't eat them back, it doesn't make sense to me. if you eat it back, that cancels out the exercise.
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    I've lost 46 pounds without eating any of my exercise calories back.

When you have a lot to lose, your body has plenty of fat to burn and so you can get away without eating the exercise calories. The closer you get to maintenance though, you're going to have to start eating them. Otherwise, you'll either plateau or start GAINING weight.
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I eat back about half of my exercise calories. I want the benefit of the extra calorie deficit, but want energy too.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    oops typo :)
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Then you don't understand how MFP works. MFP already builds in the deficit. If you aren't eating your exercise calories back, then you run the risk of that deficit becoming too large.

Couldn't have explained it better myself :)
  • jbucci1186
    Options

that is EXACTLY why i never ate them back! worked just fine with me and i lost more than i even imagined in less time than i expected. like i said, now that i'm not trying to lose, i DO eat them back but if i wanted to lose again, i'd probably cut back.

obviously, i'm not a doctor... but i have read and have been told (and it just makes sense to me) that when you have a lot of fat to lose you can have a huge deficit and get away with it because your body will burn the stored fat to replace the calories you're not eating. when you get closer to your goal, though, you HAVE to eat that **** back or (like Tiger said) you'll plateau/gain (which is EXACTLY what happened to me, and another reason i started eating them back)
  • GAJessica
    Options
    What about those of us that have a ton to lose, but are pretty damn active? Any advice, I feel as if I am starving by the evening! Any suggestions?
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options
    What about those of us that have a ton to lose, but are pretty damn active? Any advice, I feel as if I am starving by the evening! Any suggestions?

Eat back your calories, but for you - since you say you have a lot to lose - I wouldn't worry about it if you come up short. Create good eating habits now while you are getting used to your new lifestyle and it'll make it easier to transition into maintenance when the time comes.
  • jbucci1186
    Options

if you're starving and you have a lot of extra calories left, then eat more, just don't eat more than you have left.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    oh look another exercise calorie thread.........yay
  • PatientBearTiger
    Options

Then don't click on it. Or were you misled by the thread title that mentions exercise calories??
  • nickyskins
    nickyskins Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    sometimes I do and sometimes I do not.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    This sticky really explains how MFP works.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions?page=1

This one is an even better read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

In general, yes, you should eat your exercise calories back (perhaps leave a few due to inaccuracies with estimated calories burned).

If you have a lot to lose, you can get away with not eating them due to a higher BMI.

As already said, if you're using MFP to set your calories, then the deficit is already built in. Exercising creates a larger deficit. It's tempting to keep that larger deficit. Faster weight loss, right? Nope. Commonly, people aren't fueling their body enough, and their weight loss slows or completely stops. Also, exercise isn't about losing weight. Its main benefit is fitness and general health.

MFP is about having the correct calorie deficit to effectively lose weight.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Then don't click on it. Or were you misled by the thread title that mentions exercise calories??

u so witty
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    OMG. Your weight loss deficit is already built in to your MFP goal. We cut calories (through our daily goal) to lose weight. We exercise to be healthy and fit, and healthy fit bodies need fuel. Unless you are obese, eat at least some of your exercise calories back!! I cannot count how many people I see on these forums every day, complaining that they're not losing weight. Inevitably I look at their diaries (if they're open) and they are not eating their exercise calories back. HEALTHY BODIES NEED FUEL.