Anyone else's hair falling out?

Options
I hate it. About 2 months ago, I redyed my hair like I also did and a TON of hair came out in the shower. I've always had quite a bit fall out in the shower - curly hair gets so knotted and is so dry. But so much came out that I burst into tears.

I finally got to a dermatologist on Monday who said that it's probably because of my rapid weight loss and lack of nutrients during a stressful time. He told me to take 3-5 mg of Biotin and prescribed a scalp shampoo. He also ran a bunch of blood tests (still waiting for the results) just to check my hormone levels, anemia, thyroid, etc. I've only been doing this since Tuesday, and I take the Biotin on top of my daily vitamin. I don't wash my hair every day - partly because it is so dry and partly because I hate seeing so much hair come out. Last night, I did use the scalp shampoo for the first time and nearly cried again at the sight of so much hair. It just comes right out.

Has anyone else had this problem? My doctor assured me I would not go bald, and it's only temporary, but hair is so much thinner than it used to be. I'm hoping someone out there can assure me that my hair will come back.

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I hate it. About 2 months ago, I redyed my hair like I also did and a TON of hair came out in the shower. I've always had quite a bit fall out in the shower - curly hair gets so knotted and is so dry. But so much came out that I burst into tears.

I finally got to a dermatologist on Monday who said that it's probably because of my rapid weight loss and lack of nutrients during a stressful time. He told me to take 3-5 mg of Biotin and prescribed a scalp shampoo. He also ran a bunch of blood tests (still waiting for the results) just to check my hormone levels, anemia, thyroid, etc. I've only been doing this since Tuesday, and I take the Biotin on top of my daily vitamin. I don't wash my hair every day - partly because it is so dry and partly because I hate seeing so much hair come out. Last night, I did use the scalp shampoo for the first time and nearly cried again at the sight of so much hair. It just comes right out.

Has anyone else had this problem? My doctor assured me I would not go bald, and it's only temporary, but hair is so much thinner than it used to be. I'm hoping someone out there can assure me that my hair will come back.
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate!

When I was prego with my son(05') i had gestational diabetes and had to give myself insulin shots and was on a strict diet. about three or so months after he was born my already thin hair started falling out....specially in the front.

its been three years and im still growing my hair back,i take hair skin and nail vatiamins and they have done wonders to my hair.

The best advice I can give you is be patient. It will grow back,mean while try not to let it get you down. Im sure you will get alot people repling to this thread who can relate.

(((hugs)))) to ya!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Your Dr. is right.
    It is one of the first things to go with a small diet.
    To help stop this, Start taking Fish Oil tablets
    Make sure you add cheese and milk to your diet as well.
    And a little Jello would work too.
    If you have hair starting your skin and nails are next. UNLESS you start adding your vits BACK into your diet.
    Good luck dear and keep us posted.
    --Diann...
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Your Dr. is right.
    It is one of the first things to go with a small diet.
    To help stop this, Start taking Fish Oil tablets
    Make sure yopu add cheese and milk to your diet as well.
    And a little Jello would work too.
    If you have hair starting your skin and nails are next. UNLESS you start adding your vits BACK into your diet.
    Good luck dear and keep us posted.
    --Diann...

Okay. I'll start adding fish oil tablets also. Plus my daily, and the Biotin. I hate it. I want to cry just thinking about it, and I find myself looking at everyone else's full head of hair. I've never been so self-conscience.
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    IMO that doesn't sound healthy... it sounds like you are eating too few calories and you need to increase your intake. Eat healthy fats like olive oil, fish, nuts, peanut butter. The weight loss isn't worth it if your health is suffering, and from all I've read and experienced, weight that comes off that drastically rarely stays off. Good luck.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    IMO that doesn't sound healthy... it sounds like you are eating too few calories and you need to increase your intake. Eat healthy fats like olive oil, fish, nuts, peanut butter. The weight loss isn't worth it if your health is suffering, and from all I've read and experienced, weight that comes off that drastically rarely stays off. Good luck.

I know. My problem before was because I had literally stopped eating. I was going through a lot and lost my appetite. So I didn't eat much at all for a couple months. I'm making myself eat now, even though sometimes I don't feel like it.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    I can TOTALLY relate!

When I was prego with my son(05') i had gestational diabetes and had to give myself insulin shots and was on a strict diet. about three or so months after he was born my already thin hair started falling out....specially in the front.

its been three years and im still growing my hair back,i take hair skin and nail vatiamins and they have done wonders to my hair.

The best advice I can give you is be patient. It will grow back,mean while try not to let it get you down. Im sure you will get alot people repling to this thread who can relate.

(((hugs)))) to ya!

How long did it take for the hair to stop falling out and start coming back in?
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some advice for you but I've never had that happen... I've always had a healthy to ravenous appetite, even when stressed. So it sounds like you're doing everything right by going to the doctor and trying to make sure you get enough vitamins. I would say try to make sure you eat 1400 calories a day no matter what, even if you have to eat a couple spoonfuls of peanut butter or something! As a runner, you'll need the nutrients to stay strong. Protein is great for that, so maybe some chicken and rice?
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing- really rapid weight loss - I didn't lose my hair - but I know some that have due to stress- take care of your self - eat the right nutrients and it will start to come back -

but you have to take care of you
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    I went through the same thing- really rapid weight loss - I didn't lose my hair - but I know some that have due to stress- take care of your self - eat the right nutrients and it will start to come back -

but you have to take care of you

Taking care of me. That's something I haven't been too good at lately. But I'm working on it. Life has gotten so messed up, it's so easy to get wrapped up in the problems and forget to take care of yourself. Thanks. Just knowing others have been through the same thing helps a little.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    May seem trivial or small but are you drinking a full 8 glasses of water a day? 8 ounces each sis? The reason I bring it up is because I am learning how essential it is to the body. I believe I was going into very poor health before I got to MFP. I believe I was on the verge of dehydration if not actually, in it. I felt way older than my 56 years(I know I know, really old to some of you:laugh: ) Anyway darlin, write me if you would like, anytime, I will pray with you;) denise in Oregon

• nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I've always wondered what the alternative to nuts and peanut butter is for those who are allergic???