Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What to eat after exercising?

Here lately I've started exercising for longer periods of time, plus adding weights. While I'm burning a ton of calories, often times I feel like I'm starving about 30 minutes after I'm done. Not just regular starving, I'm talking T-Rex starving! I don't want to end up eating all my calories back, and I don't but I'm looking for some ideas of what I can eat after I work out that is satisfying as well as low cal. Any ideas?

Replies

• I feel the same way, I was told that you should have some sort of lean protein within 30 minutes of exercising. I exercise in the morning so I come home and make 3 egg whites with some veggies and one piece of wheat toast. Then do a piece of fruit and some light and fit yogurt a couple of hours later. I am just learning but it seems to work.
  • JenDOhio
    JenDOhio Posts: 32
    Good question! I am the same way. I've been working out really hard and I feel like I need to chain the cabinets shut when I'm done. I need some ideas too.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    There are couple of options IMO:

A protein shake
    A banana
    A glass of skim milk
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    protein. alot of people like whey protein but I'm not a body-builder, lol and that stuff tastes nasty to me, so I stick to EAS PROTEIN SHAKE, it only has 2 carbs in it, low-sugar, and low calorie, and it taste really good. 17grams of protein. i eat a slice of deli turkey {lean} and maybe some swiss cheese, some protein, low carbs :) some non-salted almonds, some water. our bodies are smarter than us, so if you're t-rex hungry only cure is to feed it. hope this helps.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Protein and healthy carbs. A great post-workout meal has AT LEAST 20 grams of protein.
    Try a smoothie made with greek yogurt, 1/2 a banana, 1/8 cup of blueberries, 3-4 large strawberries and 1/8 cup of milk and a packet of gelatin.

It has 21 grams of protein and about 17g of carbs.

God bless~
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    food
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Nut butter is always good.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Not just regular starving, I'm talking T-Rex starving! I don't want to end up eating all my calories back...

It's not what you want, its what you need. Eat them; problem solved.

Thanks, come again!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    I love my Atkins Shakes! They are 160 calories, 6g carbs and have 15g of protein! They are very satisfying and delicious! Especially the Dark Chocolate Royal!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    If you're really hungry after a workout, I would avoid protein shakes unless you have a good amount of calories left or you can't actually make a real meal. If I'm looking for something filling after a workout, I'll have some boneless skinless chicken breast and frozen veggies. Use whatever kind of seasoning/sauce that you like/is healthy. I'll probably include some chocolate milk made with no sugar added or lite syrup/powder or maybe some kind of starch if it was a big burn of a workout.
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 845 Member
    protein shake and a serving of almonds