Should I delete my account?

Options
I'm becoming obsessed with losing weight. It's been all I think about for months, do you think it would help if I deleted my MFP? But then what if I gain more weight? Is is okay to be obsessed because won't that keep me motivated? I can't settle after I've eaten until I've logged it so I know how many calories I've had. I don't know what to do, thoughts welcome :S

Replies

• stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    why not plan and log in advance - might take away some of your restlessness.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options

I do this.
    Plan tomorrow today.
    Or plan the day in the morning.

I was really obsessed to begin with but now it's just way of life!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I was like that too at first. Now I don't even log my calories half the time :) I think it will get better!!!
  • wendorfa
    wendorfa Posts: 53
    Options
    I like Stephanie's idea. What I do sometimes is log what I think I'm having for a meal ahead of time. That way I can make changes or check and see what my calorie total for the day is going to be.
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    I agree with Stephanie. Try to plan what you eat and log it in before you eat. I get a little obsessed too.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I kind of dealt with that a couple years ago when I was using another calorie-counting site. I stopped counting because I didn't want to become obsessive. Between then and when I started here, I gained back about 15 pounds (about a third of what I had lost). I found myself unhappy again and came to MPF. I feel more balanced now than I did before. I realize I need to count to keep myself on track, but I'm not obsessive like I was before.

Maybe step back from MFP and take a brief hiatus, but don't delete your account.
  • MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options

This is a great idea.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    You sound like me...lately I feel I've become obsessed. Every night, I plan out my meals and workouts for the day. I also HAVE to log everything. Recently, I've found I even get anxiety when people start talking about going out for dinner, ice cream, or a party and all I can think of is the calories.

However, I've also become a gym rat.

Idk...I think keeping your MFP would help. It certainly has helped me. :)
  • thenewkarisa
    Options
    I just quit logging my food and exercise. I'm gonna be starting college again soon and I don't want to spend too much time on the net. Plus I get stressed out when I do it. I could be using the extra time to stay active around the house and stay on top of my classes.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to be obsessive to be successful. After obsession comes "way of life" mode. :flowerforyou:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree with planning ahead of time. Plan about 70% of your calories and leave the remainder free in case you decide you want frozen yogurt or end up going out to dinner and need the free calories. Then you don't have to worry about over planning, but you do have a plan so that you don't get anxious.
  • NeverStopRunning
    Options
    I usually plan and log tomorrow's food today. No stress and it helps make better decisions.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to be obsessive to be successful. After obsession comes "way of life" mode. :flowerforyou:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I usually plan and log tomorrow's food today. No stress and it helps make better decisions.

I do this as well.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!! saem problem. I was 3 pounds away from being underweight, but I still wanted to lose :( !
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I replaced my food addiction with scale and logging addiction. It's paying off. I have lost 81 pounds in 5 1/2 months.

I would just plan ahead and make good choices.

If you work the system, the system will work for you.
  • HisSonbeamer
    Options
    For me it helps to have MFP as an outlet for that...I can input all the info and see in black and white what is going on instead of guessing and trying to calculate in my head. I tend to be a little obsessed about it sometimes...but, I also think that is somewhat normal when you are first starting. I think once we have made the major lifestyle changes it will become second nature. Save the account there is a lot of great support here and some good info too!
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options

I agree with this...I have decided that I am worth the time and effort! Obbsessed with being a better me? Heck yes...it all works for the better for everyone around me
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I obsess without the stress! Who said obsessing about making positive changes in your life was a BAD thing? My journey has been thusfar me eating, sleeping, breathing, and yes only SPEAKING of, this new lifestyle. Every second of every day, from the minute I wake up. It's the last thing on my mind before I sleep, too. And I RAVE about it (and MFP) to everyone I know, incessantly.

More recently my chattering about it has tapered, as well as some of my obsession, but now it feels like a true lifestyle. I don't feel like I'm working. I'm just living, day to day, making healthier choices and exercising and using a fun app on my iPod and supporting some very wonderful people.

So don't fret, and don't think it will stay that way forever, and most CERTAINLY don't delete your account. Turn the negative attitude about your POSITIVE trait into a POSITIVE. Because it will make you shine!! This of course is just my opinion and not solid fact, but you're not alone! Absolutely the best of luck do I wish you and I hope you much success. :)

- Ash
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Log everything ahead of time, it helps because there is no confusion or worry about going over on calories. I am obsessed with losing weight, getting n the scales and weighing my food. I absolutely LOVE being obsessed with this because it had worked for me and I feel so much better! I do, sometimes, get a little manic about losing weight... then I just have to check myself and regroup. Best of luck on your journey!!