Book~ Maggie goes on a diet

Options
This book promotes dieting for children. It is geared toward very young children that basically states unless you are thin your not going to be successful~ what are your thoughts about books or material suggesting dieting for children rather than changing their lifestyle for health

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    it is kinda true. no matter how much you wanna deny is. thinner and prettier people do usually get further easier
  • Michelle9939
    Options
    That sounds awful!
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    It should read 'Maggie Makes Healthy Choices', not it's current title. The word 'diet' can be an ugly thing...
  • ang16
    ang16 Posts: 91
    Options
    Absolutely horrible and wrong! if the myth about skinny people getting ahead, its society and attitudes that we need to change. Im appalled!
  • DropsOJupiter
    Options
    Sounds like another way to promote unhealthy eating, i.e., anorexia. While I agree that a majority of societies in the world do see thinness as more attractive, industries outside of the mostly superficial modeling and entertainment business, prefer you have the brains to do the job. i agree with previous poster...we need to focus on training children healthy choices, not encourage dieting, which I don't think works in the long term.
  • HSmamato4
    Options
    My husband was telling me about it today. I personally think that is an awful message to be sending to our children, especially our daughters, whether it is true or not. And while it may be reality in our society it is not that way everywhere and it is a reality that needs to change and will only change as we continue to educate ourselves and our children. I try to stress to my children making healthy choices, educating them on what different foods do to the body, the effect exercise can have on various processes of the body etc... No way I would ever encourage "dieting". It's sad to me. It's getting a lot of attention too which unfortunately means it will probably sell well.
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who suggested the title should be about healthy choices. I don't even like dieting as a word for adults! Too skinny is no more healthy that to fat. I personally don't look at my journey here as a "diet" but as a quest for a more healthy me. I think attaching the label diet to a child is a recipe for poor self image and potential eating disorders. Ultimately, is an adult who provides the food in a home, and if there is a concern for a childs weight, the adult needs to be accountable for the food choices provided.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Absolutely horrible and wrong! if the myth about skinny people getting ahead, its society and attitudes that we need to change. Im appalled!

I am ALL for kids getting healthier, I have not ready that book but I know that if is about a child being on a diet, to be skinny to be successful is HORRIBLE. Shame on who ever wrote it and is making money off of it. If there's mom putting her kid on a diet then shame on her for not showing her kid how to live/be healthy! We all need to educate, MFP is a good place to start living the healthy lifestyle by using fitness & diet together.