Faulty Standard BMI Chart

Options
I've always taken doctors' advice when it came to my health, particularly on weight. I'm used to the typical chart of height and weight body mass index and ranges and health risks, etc. I get the lecture everytime. But none of these doctors really LOOKED at me. On a regular BMI chart, based on my height and weight, I am 31% body fat (obese). On another calculator that considers my waist, hips, wrist, and forearm circumference, my BMI is 26% (overweight to normal). I've always went out and needed bigger clothes when I went shopping but when I tell others how much I weigh, I get "you don't look it at all!" or "you carry it well." A 5% different can really break my heart, especially when I've been working so hard on watching what I eat and getting back into exercise.

Has anyone else had this issue of "fitting in the standard"?

Replies

• muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I think we all do have that issue...because some of us can be at a great weight, but since the Gov. decided to make health standards on the "average" person, none of us can possibly fit it...up or down.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    BMI weight to high ratios are a rough calculation that applies to 90% of the people 90% of the time (I pulled those numbesr out of my *kitten* but you know what I mean).

You know your body best - if your doctor is stupid enough to not be able to tell when your body doesnt' fit in those standards, your doctor sucks. get a new one.
  • runamym
    runamym Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My doctor recently explained BMI chart simply as a tool -- a prediction to see how likely one is to develop health problems down the road. If I get under 25, my chances of developing heart disease, high bp, diabetes is considerably lower than someone 30 and above. So it's merely a prediction of health. But goals, she said are personal, but she did say that health wise, it's good to shoot for under 25 bmi.
    I know how frustrating it can be. I've been losing since Feb., lost 62.5 lbs so far and I'm still in the overweight category. sigh. But I'm closer -- had a lot of weight to lose. So my ultimate goal is to really healthy so I'm shooting for the good bmi.
    Keep up your hard work! It will pay off for many, many years -- added good quality years to your life!
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Actually, funny story, but did you know the standard BMI chart wasn't created by diet or health officials? It was created in the early 20th century by a PHYSICIST who was using it for his experiment.

I totally get where you're coming from. My fiance is 6" tall and 195lbs...but no one around him looks half as fit as he does. Seriously, he's ripped. In the BMI chart, it says he's mid-range obese to class 1 morbidly obese, which is completely ridiculous.

I'd take the BMI chart with a grain of salt. If you're working at everything, then who cares what some chart made by a physicist says?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you have had your body fat measured, BMI, height/wt tables, etc are useless (actually, they are pretty useless anyway).

Either have your body fat tested, or just ignore all the labels. The increased focus on "obesity" has had positive effects of raising awareness, promoting increased support for fitness at the workplace and by insurance companies, etc, but it has also had the negative effect of getting a lot of people--including doctors--into the area of evaluating body composition, an area in which many, if not most, are unqualified.

Equally unqualified are "friends", relatives, etc who try to give advice and make recommendations.

And, quite frankly, a lot of fitness people and personal trainers ain't so hot at it either.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    even if your stick thin you can still have like a 40% body fat percentage,.
    Its all about your fat to muscle to organ ratio..
    And even if ur very skinny.. If you have no muscle and small bones you'l have a high body fat percentage..
    its all about getting fit and healthy.. not skinny.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've said it a million times before--don't blame the BMI method. It works at a tool to describe large populations. The error lies in the fact that it is being MISUSED to evaluate individuals.
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Muscle vs. fat can't be measured on a BMI chart. Bone size also can't be measured.

I am 5'8" and 126-127 pounds. My BMI is fine, but I have NO muscle. I am a total weakling. Therefore, I still have plenty of "weight" to lose. I have a large frame (quite-- my wrist circumfrance, rib circumfrance, elbow breadth, and hip breadth are all quite large), so my bones are heavy.

My little brother is a body-builder. He is 5'11", 245 pounds, and has extremely low body fat. According to charts, he is morbidly obese, but he isn't. He is primarily muscle. I don't think there is half-an-inch to pinch on him. He also has a large frame.

Weight isn't what it is all about. The the AVERAGE person, BMI is fine, but none of us are really, truly average.
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BMI chart isn't that far from truth if You are an active and fit individual (not a bodybuilder, athlete ...)
    Most ppl think they are far less in body fat then they actually are.
    Sorry but if You where not doing any exercises especially weight lifting You don't have alot of muscle.
    And if You actually worry about some charts then You must not be satisfied with Your body in some way.
    Go get Your body fat measured and work on reducing that.
    Don't give Yourself a crazy weight goal.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    get your body fat percentage done at a gym or find calipers to do it yourself with!!!